Sign in to follow this  
shadowtitan

Random Hostiles?

Is the game world in the campaign randomly populated with hostiles?

I mean could you actually postphone a mission and for examples sake assault a town? I suppose my question boils down to how open and flexible is the sp game aside from the campaign missions, i realize i could just mess around with the editor but that takes out all the surprise and feels more like a test than a game.

I think there is something to spawn friendly re-enforcements over in the mission editing section. I don't think it would take much to modify that to spawn enemy units at designated markers at a random position in a radius around that marker. For something like what you are looking for, that's probably the best place to ask. But yeah, for simple random enemy, the ambient combat manager would be your best bet.

Are these modules on by default in the campaign?

I'd imagine there are modules at work in the campaign. But not the combat module. You would have to set that up in the mission editor.

even for the editor there are some logic modules which automaticaly generates animals/people/cars/little combats/randomly patrolling units and little sidemissions which you can accept or leave to go on with your main mission you had build.

look here: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:ArmA_2:_Editor_Modules for more infos.

in the sp campaign this modules are used too. so the answer to your question is "yes"

Thats not what im asking, im not doing anything with the editor im simply asking if in the CAMPAIGN, are there random enemies? otherwise is the whole thing just an empty island with a few bases and preset enemies near misson objectives?

Edit: Thanks for the link De little Bubi

the only mission I can recall seeing random patrols would be the mission where you look for Lopotev and you have the Huey as a transport asset. Basically any mission with the huey as transport there should be random patrols roaming from my experiences..

I would say most of the later ones do.

You mentioned that you thought that using the mission editor takes out the surprise but you can randomize placement, heading, starting position, waypoints, and a bunch of other stuff quite easily. Randomizing heading is the hardest thing to do in my opinion and all that is required of that is putting this ( this setdir (random 360); ) into the init field. I know you were asking about the campaign but I thought I would clear that up for you. Plus the logics will also do stuff like that.

So really that means that the island during the campaign is one big empty place?

Why have the whole island to explore if there is just nothing out there? Might aswell be limited to the area the mission is taking place.

So really that means that the island during the campaign is one big empty place?

Why have the whole island to explore if there is just nothing out there? Might aswell be limited to the area the mission is taking place.

Instead having dozens of maps for different missions, we can only have one. And mission makers wont be constrained with numerous maps, yet small and constrained with the border.

i realize i could just mess around with the editor but that takes out all the surprise and feels more like a test than a game.

It's pretty simple to spawn random type of groups, random number of groups with random number of units in them and make them patrol random so each time you play your mission it's different!

It's pretty simple to spawn random type of groups, random number of groups with random number of units in them and make them patrol random so each time you play your mission it's different!

I realize that, i just thought the ambient combat module would be in the campaign seeing as reviews make it seem as thouge its a living breathing world where you run into hostile and friendly patrols ect.

I realize that, i just thought the ambient combat module would be in the campaign seeing as reviews make it seem as thouge its a living breathing world where you run into hostile and friendly patrols ect.

They're not empty. The last two are definitely not empty. And there aren't many patrols on some of the other ones but most of them do have some patrols. I know for sure that at least Manhattan has one objective that doesn't occur every time and one objective that takes place between two areas randomly.