Sign in to follow this  
Chunk3ym4n

Left 4 Dead 2 demo out for pre-orderers!

L4D2 demo is currently out. If you liked L4D you'll probably like L4D2 which I do! I also made this video of killing 500 zombies with a machete:

glFEerSmCuU

Demo is out "for pre-orderes"? Steam only, or how should this be understood?

If this is the same deal as with the first game you get to download the demo if you pre-order the full game.

If this is the same deal as with the first game you get to download the demo if you pre-order the full game.

I have pre-ordered the game - on Amazon. :)

I guess if I wanted to play the demo I'd have to pre-order it on Steam.

Oh yes, sorry, forgot to mention that.

You need to have it pre-ordered on Steam.

I'll wait for Nov. 3rd.

Same. There's a good reason I pre-ordered from Amazon.co.uk ... ;)

This video... WTF???? :eek:

That's what some people call "playable" FPS apparently :i:

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Sounds a bit like permission to do a testdrive, only after you bought the car. :confused:

Sounds a bit like permission to do a testdrive, only after you bought the car. :confused:

It's the new way to con money out of people, same as DLC. Gone are the days when you buy something and walk out of the store with it/download it on launch day.

Now, you give them the money months in advance (with or without a demo depending on the game) for cheesy incentives like "pre release demo access" or my personal favorite, the "unique in game item".

I remember when demos were released BEFORE any given game in order to assist with a decision on purchasing.

Of course, the now dishonest world of corporate controlled gaming wouldn't be able to bend you over the table and repeatedly a$$ rape you with garbage if you actually had a clue what you were buying in advance.

(That doesn't go for all companies, but the vast majority).

Eth

PS : I have no doubt L4D2 will be a quality game. That doesn't change my opinion about this pre order "carrot and stick" crap.

Edited by BangTail

I played the demo and canceled my pre-order (Australian). Gonna wait for the retail version and order it from overseas.

For anyone who doesn't know, Australia got screwed by the OFLC (our classifications board) and we ended up with a watered down version. I held out hopes but after testing the demo it's really quite pityful.

Whats up with the TF2 style cartoony graphics? They look different from L4D1

TBH, this could have easily been an expansion. There are new guns and mobs etc but it looks pretty much EXACTLY the same to me.

Great fun mind you.

Eth

PS : Guaranteed we'll get a LFD3 announcement in June 2010.

I thought that myself as well, but there are some improvements which are really nice.

Notibly, the gore system has gotten a overhaul. Given, that's just cosmetical, but still it's very cool to see. Makes infected being vaporised by a grenade seem so tame :p

But the 5 campaigns supposedly have different sections each time as well, so randomisation no longer only applies to infected and weapons, but maybe a hallway is blocked off and now you have to find another way around, or something else.

I'm not too big a fan of the spitter and the comically green stuff he spits, just looks weird and out of place. The bull-thing is kinda cool though.

I have not tried the demo yet as I have not pre-ordered it, but I will buy the game for sure when it is released.

I had great fun with L4D and it is a fresh breath in terms of in-and-out co-op play for me, survival is also great with decent players.

Though I agree with the people that says that it gets released to soon, though Valve has promised continued support for the original but who knows.

I personally think the best thing they could have done was what others have said and that would be to give a resonable discount for L4D owners upon buying the sequel.

For me personally it does not mean so much, I was late to the party and bought the original when its price had been reduced on Steam and I will join in a 4-pack when I buy the sequel, so money-wise for me in total I will end up with a good deal for both games, epecially if the sequel will provide me with so much fun as the original has, which has been quite a bit.

L4D gameplay is basically as simple as it is brilliant for me, easy gaming, leisure time kind of thingy.

I really don't see how Valve is "conning" people out of money. I bought the 4-pack with three other friends and it came out to $33 each. When was the last time you payed $33 for a new release? People complain that L4D2 is an "expansion" but practically every expansion i see that comes out is labeled as "stand-alone" and you end up paying $40 for it anyways. People just have become spoiled by the frankly over-generous support Valve gave TF2.

Id say $33 alot better than paying $60 to get shafted by Modern Warfare 2 and probably every other console port for the PC.

I have not tried the demo yet as I have not pre-ordered it, but I will buy the game for sure when it is released.

I had great fun with L4D and it is a fresh breath in terms of in-and-out co-op play for me, survival is also great with decent players.

Though I agree with the people that says that it gets released to soon, though Valve has promised continued support for the original but who knows.

I personally think the best thing they could have done was what others have said and that would be to give a resonable discount for L4D owners upon buying the sequel.

For me personally it does not mean so much, I was late to the party and bought the original when its price had been reduced on Steam and I will join in a 4-pack when I buy the sequel, so money-wise for me in total I will end up with a good deal for both games, epecially if the sequel will provide me with so much fun as the original has, which has been quite a bit.

L4D gameplay is basically as simple as it is brilliant for me, easy gaming, leisure time kind of thingy.

That's definitely part of it's attraction. It's easy to log in and blow the hell out of a couple of 100 undead and then go back to whatever you were doing before.

Eth

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

I really don't see how Valve is "conning" people out of money. I bought the 4-pack with three other friends and it came out to $33 each. When was the last time you payed $33 for a new release? People complain that L4D2 is an "expansion" but practically every expansion i see that comes out is labeled as "stand-alone" and you end up paying $40 for it anyways. People just have become spoiled by the frankly over-generous support Valve gave TF2.

Id say $33 alot better than paying $60 to get shafted by Modern Warfare 2 and probably every other console port for the PC.

I never said the amount was a "con" if you are referring to what I said. I said paying for things months in advance is a "con" but it's fast becoming the norm with publishers and their "carrot and stick" approach.

I don't care about the price (within reason). I just shelled out $70.00 for Dragon Age and I'll be very surprised if it isn't worth every cent.

I agree with you on the value of games like L4D2, and it's one of the major reasons that, even though I object to preordering games, I make exceptions for Valve, Bioware and several other companies that have a track record of quality.

It's also one of the major reasons that I will NOT support Infinity Ward and their arrogant and condescending attitude towards the very people who made their franchise great.

F**K THEM and their console nation.

/MW2 preorder cancelled.

Eth

That's just daylight. Source looks more dated the brighter the lighting is.

But the bright Southern sort of sunlight is something that few games will handle well.

Will this demo disappear like the first one did? I hated the first game, only wished I could've played the demo before buying it... From what I read it'll be more of the same, only this time they'll make it harder to hunker down and defend. The only reason I like zombie games are to think, then fight my way out of the situation...not the mindless bullsh!t this game induces.

I already uninstalled L4D1 so not even touching 2 will suit me just fine.

The only reason I like zombie games are to think, then fight my way out of the situation...not the mindless bullsh!t this game induces.

Fair enough that you do not like the game, but I think it is a bit wrong to call it "mindless bullsh*t", afterall like in any other game you will soon enough notice if you play with competent people or not, so it is not like it is totally devoided of tactics and planning.

I for one welcome the co-op aspect of the game specifically.

It is a bit mindless and chaotic but I think that is the goal of the game, it tries to make you go "OMGWTFBBQ" when shit hits the fan, and I think it does it pretty well.

How big is the L4D2 demo? Also, is it already out for non-pre-orderers. That was supposed to happen today. :)