Sign in to follow this  
Darkhawk

Taking on a tank!

I am just wondering what rocket would be the best to take out a tank? Also where would be the best spot to hit it!

Also, even if you can't destroy a tank with a single round from a LAW or RPG, you may be able to take out the barrel and/or turret if you are both good and lucky.

I've had it happen several times that the tank and crew survived an ambush, but wasn't able to return fire because of this; eventually, the crew will bail out and use small arms.

My favorite tactic is to try and catch an unaware tank crew in an ambush. A single man can take out both turret crews and with an assistant all three crew members can be killed. The advantage is twofold..destroy the vehicle at your leisure or take your brand new tank and conquer the world.

If you comletely want to destroy a tank (M1A1/T80), always fire at the same part (barrel, turret, left caterpillar-track etc).

You can also only once shoot at the barrel and then use several handgrenades to take out the crew if it doesn't leave. Best Weapns for those tacs are RPG or LAW.

there are some good combos that work for tank disposal. If you have a LAW launcher, and a team member has a carlgustav or equivelant, they can hit it with that, and if its too strong, one or two more LAW rockets should do it in.

Other than that, everyones right about hitting it in the barrel. All three LAW rockets right in the barrel, and it wont be able to fire its weapons accurately at all. You can at least get away under these circumstances. If any crew bails, simply shoot them.

Mines and satchel charges always work fine too, but only if you know where the tanks will be coming from. A direct hit from either of these will at least disable even the strongest tanks.

One more thing, as far as enemy APCs go. This is a long shot, but hand grenades can actually take these things out. About five or six direct hits, and the crew will bail. You or your squad will be able to take care of them.

with a good shot, a well placed RPG or LAW can take out the main gun. It will still be able to fire in most caswes, but wont be able to track up and down. This helps a great deal since the tank will only be able to shoot at a single range.

Regarding mines and MBTs, if the target is either a T80 or M1A1, I always use them in pairs if I have enough -- I've seen plenty of those beasts limp away and/or kill me after hitting a single mine.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 30 2002,08:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Regarding mines and MBTs, if the target is either a T80 or M1A1, I always use them in pairs if I have enough -- I've seen plenty of those beasts limp away and/or kill me after hitting a single mine.<span id='postcolor'>

yeah, this would be a good place for a team mate to come through in a clench with his LAW\RPG launcher. And maybe satchel charges can be in accurate, but even if a t-80 hits a mine, its gonna get launched! Iv never had a t-80 hit a mine without it catching some air

I always place mines and hide in a bush with law. It seems that tanks can't even see u in a bush. Good example is original campaign mission Defender. I hide myself in a bush on that hill and i can take out all tanks with 4 laws. T80 and one T72 will usually get destroyed by mines. U only need 4 laws for 2 T72's. Fun mission.

i play that mission a lot, and it usually takes me 3 laws to take out a t-72. then again i'm always hitting them from behind. are you hiding in a different spot than me?

I've noticed that when a slowly moving tank hits a mine it takes less damage than a fast moving tank.

I love that mission. Is very nice. The T-80 always goes. If you put the mines carefully you can take am all out. The AI put em all in a line. He usually gets the T-80 and a T-72. You can put yours behind his somewhat 50 metres away in the road and the other line the AI in the bushes. Sargent usually kills the tank crews when they bail out. The LAW's kick some ass. It takes 3 LAWS for me too to take out a T-72.

If the tankcrew is turned out, shoot the gunner with your rifle first. Without him the tank is nothing but a very heavy sportscar. I have yet to see the comander take over the gun after the gunner is dead.

If out of LAW/RPG - grenadelaunchers, handgrenades, as well as Stinger missiles are all useful if a whole squad attacks it.

Despite all, Mavericks gotta be the best way to attack a tank... heh biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N.o.R.S.u @ Mar. 30 2002,16:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've noticed that when a slowly moving tank hits a mine it takes less damage than a fast moving tank.<span id='postcolor'>

In OFP, mines appear to be proximity-fused. So if a tank moves slowly, it will set off the mine while it is farther away from it than a fast-moving tank would be. A fast-moving tank could conceivably get on top of the mine before it detonates.

Nice theory smile.gif

Well sometimes a tank can run over a shitload of mines while destoyed. Is quite funny smile.gif

Yeah, tanks and their crews in OFP...sometimes they amaze me with their smart AI, other times I'm amazed by their dumbness.

For instance, one time I shot the driver of a T-80 while he was turned out. The gunner and commander quickly turned in. Next, the commander got out and took the place of the driver! What happened next was the usual thing that happens when you face a tank on open ground at a distance of about 100 metres: the barrel turned towards me and I saw the pretty lights.

Dumb AI: I played as a Spetsnaz against the Resistance and I faced a T-55 with the crew already on alert. I was at about 50 metres when it spotted me so I did what I usually do when close to a tank: run towards it so it can't shoot me. I ran around the tank while it turned with me, trying to track me. I put some satchel charges, ran to the back of the tank and n away when it lost track of me. I blew it up.

It seems that AI tanks don't know how to deal with infantry that's too close for them to hit with the machine gun. They never drive you over or anything...

The should add a script that makes it shoot a heat round as close as possible thus killing you or reversing at full speed and then killing you. biggrin.gif

I oneced got run over by a T-72 when l was hidden in bushes at night as a Spec Op it was by accident though. My luck sucks!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ Mar. 30 2002,08:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i play that mission a lot, and it usually takes me 3 laws to take out a t-72. then again i'm always hitting them from behind. are you hiding in a different spot than me?<span id='postcolor'>

You'll have to hit a T72 twice into its front turret.(U must hit its main gun). First rocket will disable its main gun, second rocket will destroy it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DodgeME @ Mar. 30 2002,13:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sargent usually kills the tank crews when they bail out.<span id='postcolor'>

Explosions now kill people, so the tank crew will die if a T72 will explode.

Of course, it works the other way around as well. sad.gif

I was playing a night mission as a Black Op the other day, and blew up an enemy BMP using a satchel charge on a road that the BMP was patrolling. I stood up from behind a tree I was hiding behind downslope from the road to make sure that none of the crew members survived and managed to get out.

As I am coming around the tree, there's a secondary explosion, and I get killed instantly. I was really ticked, since I had been doing really well up until then, and now had to watch my buddies for another thirty minutes or so while they completed the MP mission.

Note to self: when blowing up stuff that contains fuel or ammunition, be mindful that it can cook off.