Sign in to follow this  
Autana

Just another thread asking If Arma 2 will run on my cruddy system.

Hello folks,

I've just managed to finally bag a cheap copy of Arma 2 off ebay (£13.09p) after stalking so many sellers and being too skint to pay the full £25 in gamestation (Just dont tell the missus I bought it at all or i'll never live it down..)

Now while timmy is hopefully packing up my game and sending it off before the postal strike hits I was wondering if you helpful monkeys could give me any indication as to what it will run like on my old faithful crud PC?

Specs -

AMD 64 single core 4000+ running at 2.4

2 gigs of DDR ram 400Mhz

8800 GTS running the latest drivers

It is quite a basic machine that I built when I had the money way back when and I know in the back of my tiny mind that it wont run the game too well but am I facing an fps nightmare with this? I'll slog on regardless as I do like me military sims but was just wondering what i'm getting myself into..

:butbut:

Well theres nothing wrong with it kind sir I just didnt look hard enough. I shall post this there.

Cheers for the nice warm greeting though to the Arma 2 community :)

The single core may be a problem. ArmA II is mainly a very CPU dependent game and changing settings for me does not affect performance at all other else than view distance.

Cheers for the nice warm greeting though to the Arma 2 community :)

Your right. Sorry for the harsh welcome. It just gets so old when the first topic in here is what you want and so many keeps posting new threads about it.

You are very welcomed! :) Keep an eye out though as most things have been asked and answered. Just browse through the forum and youll learn a lot.

Regards

Alex

my q6600 at 2.4 ran it badly, never mind single at 2.4. get a dual/quad core, overclock to 3GHZ and it will run better.

i oc to 3ghz and runs smoothly now

The single core may be a problem. ArmA II is mainly a very CPU dependent game and changing settings for me does not affect performance at all other else than view distance.
my q6600 at 2.4 ran it badly, never mind single at 2.4. get a dual/quad core, overclock to 3GHZ and it will run better.

i oc to 3ghz and runs smoothly now

Ah so it seems my pants single core has finally met it's doom. I'll have a go at overclocking the old fart and see what it comes up with. Wish me luck with that as I havent got a lot in the way of cooling the thing apart from a wink and a prayer..

It's good to know what to expect though so thank you for the replys ;)

Your right. Sorry for the harsh welcome. It just gets so old when the first topic in here is what you want and so many keeps posting new threads about it.

You are very welcomed! :) Keep an eye out though as most things have been asked and answered. Just browse through the forum and youll learn a lot.

Regards

Alex

Cheers Alex. :)

No I can see your point to be honest and I was being a bit hasty in regards to starting a new thread without actually looking around. I guess I got too ahead of meself once again and I know threads like these are annoying to the regulars.

I'll have a browse around. :)

one simple answer - try the DEMO

Not really a fan of demos if i'm honest. I'd rather have the full product and take whatever happens. Because even if my rig does die due to such a low fps then at least i've got the game still to try on the next rig i'll build, even if it's not any time soon.

It may seem strange to some but thats just how i've always done it. ;)

Hello folks,

I've just managed to finally bag a cheap copy of Arma 2 off ebay (£13.09p) after stalking so many sellers and being too skint to pay the full £25 in gamestation (Just dont tell the missus I bought it at all or i'll never live it down..)

Now while timmy is hopefully packing up my game and sending it off before the postal strike hits I was wondering if you helpful monkeys could give me any indication as to what it will run like on my old faithful crud PC?

Specs -

AMD 64 single core 4000+ running at 2.4

2 gigs of DDR ram 400Mhz

8800 GTS running the latest drivers

It is quite a basic machine that I built when I had the money way back when and I know in the back of my tiny mind that it wont run the game too well but am I facing an fps nightmare with this? I'll slog on regardless as I do like me military sims but was just wondering what i'm getting myself into..

:butbut:

It will run like crap, as you'll soon find out for yourself. Just thank god you didn't buy it new and give BI yet more money for a travesty of a game.

Hahaha is it really that bad?

Well it's too late now anyway as it should be in the post (hopefully). And to be honest it'll give me something to do when trying to squeeze more fps out of it.

It's either that or watch east enders and I know what I dont want to do...

Hahaha is it really that bad?

No it's not, but with your rig you'll have to tweak and compromize a bit to get a acceptable performance. You should be able to get on the battlefield soon :)

I thought as much and whatever it runs like i'm sure it'll be fun regardless. Maybe one day i'll have enough pennies for some better equipment and build a beefier rig.

I think godders just has a big stick up his backside about something..

It will run like crap, as you'll soon find out for yourself. Just thank god you didn't buy it new and give BI yet more money for a travesty of a game.

This guy is a troll so dont listen to anything he says. Probably comes from OFP2 Dragon Rising and hes mad now that his game sucks in the light of ARMA2.

Check my signature (spoiler). The game runs fine on NORMAL for me. Then again i know how to operate a pc. You wont be able to run ARMA2 like other smaller shooters though ofcourse since its huge compared to them and have "free thinking" AI's roaming around (missions). There are improvements being made like in all the series.

Remember that BIS makes this game only and not like CM tons of commersial titles wich they abandon after a few patches. BIS keeps improving their games for years.

Closing, we have a sticky thread here for anyone to use.

Please refrain from cluttering the forums by starting threads while a similar one already exists.