Sign in to follow this  
nukey

Running arma in a window?

I have win7, and i cant seem to find an option to run it in a window. Does anyone have any ideas, or am i missing something obvious on how its done.

I think if you run the command argument "-window" after the target directory it will run in a window. Why do you want to do this anyway?

if you download the arma 2 launcher it gives you this option as well

I want to start using the mission editor, and need to look at videos on youtube, at the same time. To teach me the basics until i get to grips with the various commands. Arma doesn't seem to like being minimized, while i browse the net, it keeps jumping back to the game at its on free will. thanks for your help.

I want to start using the mission editor, and need to look at videos on youtube, at the same time. To teach me the basics until i get to grips with the various commands. Arma doesn't seem to like being minimized, while i browse the net, it keeps jumping back to the game at its on free will. thanks for your help.

Hmm I've never had that issue before. I alt-tab quite frequently to do other things on my computer and I've never had it jump back in without my command.

I run the game in window, and move the window to my liking. Especially when I'm making missions. Makes it easy for me to edit scripts etc without having to worry about the alt - tab crash issue sometimes.

Yep same here. Just add -window and you should be set. Dont know why it "jumps" back to the game? Im on Win7 as well and i have no probs with this.

Perhaps you like to add "-noPause" also?

It makes the program continue even if you activate another window.

I find this practical when mission testing.

In OF I could even combat myself with opening OF two times and inserting me on both sides ... think this works in Arma2 also ... at last ... yesterday evening I found myself playing Armed Assault while Arma2 was still open too ... think I can even launch all three games at same time .. ;-)

I added my ArmA2 to steam. I can just press shit-tab to open steam and go to youtube and watch all tuts I need :P

I had an initial problem with the -window switch, I forget the details but the nub of it was something to do with the resolution for the windowed game in the config file. Turned out that although in full-screen game I set the resolution to some value, it was NOT this setting that the windowed game was accessing. For some reason it was setting the window size to the size of the monitor, essentially making the windowed game full screen again.

Look into the config file (MyDocs\ArmA2\ArmA2.cfg) and see what parameters there are.

In fact, here are mine, backup your file and insert these lines over your corresponding lines and see what happens:

winX=272;
winY=215;
winW=1024;
winH=768;
winDefW=1024;
winDefH=768;
Resolution_W=1024;
Resolution_H=768;