Sign in to follow this  
jonneymendoza

What if CryEngine was used as Arma 3 future engine?

Guns sticking to walls is a silly feature in the name of realism because it's so unrealistic that your guy is rigid like a robot and has the rifle bolted onto his wooden arms. IRL, you can quickly turn around in a tight hallway with a rifle, without looking like a retard aiming to the sky or at your legs, or slowly putting your rifle to the rest position and back. So without another feature to complement it, it's broken.

If guns stick to walls, then there needs to be animations for letting the gun come back quickly when it bumps into a wall, like Infiltration mod or Red Orchestra 2.

Doesn't mean that BI need to use another engine to fix that neither.

I dunno. Ask it to your 1m long rifle?

Why does every topic with complaints I read is about "baawww I don't want to learn to play, please dumb it down" and never, never about "make this feature more complex and realistic"?

If ArmA was just as dumbed down and primitive pop-corn as Crysis people wouldn't be playing it for years, dropping it after a few weeks like it happens to 95% of arcade shooters that come out.

I never said i wanted it dumbed down. I want it to go up. And please stop with this Crysis nonsense.

PLUS i play RV engine since the days of OFP demo, so it's not like i'm some punk kid wanting crysis gameplay.

Once and for all:

Now there are technological opportunities that can circumvent and resolve certain problems applied to RV engine.

The benefits of OpenCL acceleration surpass every single nuisance regarding the incorporation of physics features to RV. No license fees need to be paid, no need for more hardware power because we already have it. Performance and simulation factor can go up. I would like to see that.

Just take some time in understanding what OpenCL is all about, and wish the gaming industry embraces it. If you don't care, just keep feeding greedy companies like Nvidia that will limit their hardware acceleration just for Nvidia card owners.

I'm one of those people who would just like to see RV grow. I love these games. I'll keep supporting BIS and hope for the good things to come.

Doesn't mean that BI need to use another engine to fix that neither.

Obviously. Hence the "there needs to be animations" instead of "omg BIS needs to use CryEngine or Unreal".

Personally I think it would be utterly insane for BI to license any 3rd party engine after 10+ years of developing an in-house purpose-built engine. RV is modern enough.

Not saying that some other engine couldn't be used to create arma-like games though, with a full license allowing any modification to the engine itself. Just that it would not make any sense for BIS to do so.

what a weird suggestion -)

only one things between RV and CryEngine engines is common - they both rely heavily on engine-enforced [multi-]LoD of content.

rest was different upon different needs.

so, a basicly if you like CryTek games/engines - enjoy them as im did, but implying thats CryEngine can(!) replace RV, groundless.

$57 mln for a "simulation" where soldiers slide across the sand when they run - and even when running perfectly hold their weapons straight

Guess US Army was just ripped off.

$57 mln for a "simulation" where soldiers slide across the sand when they run - and even when running perfectly hold their weapons straight

Haha, what, where you getting that? How about actually reading the article? It's motion control, where you "run around using the simulator, which is a training area with a 10-by-10 foot pad".

I don't know how exactly it will work but there is bound to be some sway when moving.

If you refer to the trailer, that's not actually for "US Army Dismounted Soldier Training System" at all but an older trailer for Real Time Immersive engine.

Edited by Pulverizer

Haha, what, where you getting that? How about actually reading the article? It's motion control, where you "run around using the simulator, which is a training area with a 10-by-10 foot pad".

I don't know how exactly it will work but there is bound to be some sway when moving.

The funny thing is, the USMC already uses this tech with VBS2: random blog article. I cant find the original story, but the Marine Corps has been using it for a while now...

Photos

Edited by DM

i guess it's time to close this obsolete thread as some posts look more of PR campaign for other company ...