Sign in to follow this  
schubinator

What about independence war (17 - 1800)?

Hi all,

Today i played Empire: total war and in this moment a idea came to me

What do you think about a Mod about the independence war in America so between 1700 and 1800 or other countrys at this time?

Is it possible with this engine?

I love this time and the lines of smoke :-)

_____

Sorry for my bad english i don´t speak it so often

Edited by schubinator

no if someone like this idea i wanna make this but i must find some who help for this

i can some things in the tools but some training in this make it a bit easier

i thing the slow gameplay in arma is ideal for that area

So if i find some people i want make that work starts

First mabey the weapons and than units but i think about it later :-)

it is boring to play as a soldier who must stick in an infantry line,maybe wold be interesting to play the american civil war

it is boring to play as a soldier who must stick in an infantry line,maybe wold be interesting to play the american civil war

Soldiers in the American Civil War had to stick to their infantry line as well, with the exception of skirmishers, riflemen (soldiers often specially selected because of their marksmanship, and given weapons with a rifled barrel instead of a smoothbore) and other "special forces", just like in the War of Independence (technically a civil war since Britain hadn't accepted the independence of the 13 colonies). Playing with that kind of unit ignores the reality of warfare in that era though, tightly packed lines of (cannon fodder) infantry.

Says you, but i disagree. It's something crazy to just walk right at the enemy taking fire just so you can get closer and release an even more damaging volley at them.

I mean, the nerves of steel these men must have had is just amazing!

However reloading times were so long that while the enemy was doing that, you could release a destructive volley then charge them with bayonet before they are ready to fire again.

Imagine the nervewrecking experience of just walking at your enemy while they take aim and fire, men all around you fall down, you keep on walking, enemy releases a second volley, you keep on walking while even more men fall down.

Then you get the order to stand still, take aim, and fire: the result of your thundering volley can't be seen through the smoke, and you get the order to charge with bayonet.

Now imagine standing on the other side: they had a few volleys, but now through the smoke come running several hundred screaming men with huge pikes on their weapons.

You want to get another volley off, your trying to reload your rifle like crazy, as they come closer and closer, and suddenly, bam, there they are!

Wild men releasing all their fear into a violent melee, stabbing, kicking, bashing, slicing and roaring for dear fucking life.

Your fighting for survival, and then comes in the cavalry from the flanks running you down like dogs.

Oh yes, i would love to see such a mod :o

Imagine the organised pvp possibilities... It would be like the Battlegrounds 2 mod for Halflife 2 but more realistic, and you could have bigger battles of up to 50 men a side :)

Fighting in such groups was the only way to get any result with a musket. They were so inaccurate they had to be fired hundreds at a time in order to hit anything.

And say what you want about the era, politically it might all have been polite with all those fancy white wigs, but when it came down to warfare it was fucking brutal.

Indeed, if a team would invest time into formations then this would become a very interesting mod. I would certainly love to play it.

The atmosphere would be superb and because of its scale it would not be bugged by some of the engine limitations.

Bright colored uniforms, large smoke plumes.

Sigh, it would be wonderfull :D

Monk.

Hi all,

What do you think about a Mod about the independence war in America so between 1700 and 1800 or other countrys at this time?

_____

Yep, that's feasible with this engine. For OFP some of us - old OFP modders including myself - made three Napoleonic mods, two ACW mods, one American Independance war mod. It was a lot of work, we broke some of the engine limitations (including horses and horse drawn wagons or artillery caissons, scripted and unscripted close combat etc.). The only things i never managed to achieve without awful scripting were the "walk and fight in line" formations. New scripting commands may help a little in ArmA2, but i'm afraid it'll be quite complicated and little satisfying. But it's still fun to play some skirmishes. I'm out of it now but i wish good luck to those that would jump into it !

i think it would be already enough to have some units at all for the time being. could you convert the mods to arma 2??

and what about the napoleonic wars mod? that was for arma 1 right?

So i'm back from Holyday and what i see is fantastic ! That this idea come so good :-)

If i find some people for making this mod i will start it

Ive make some texturs in other games but 3D making thats not what i can do

I ask some friends and come back to say yes or no maybe someone of u will help?

First maybe we can start with the weapons and the civil of arma2

but this later

Hi all,

_____

historic mods are great, i love historic mods

of course radio chat in 1800 would look stupid, but... it is a game

so you have TOOLS and you can make such mod

would be cool to have 1800 mod for Arma

we have many great looking mods that will do releases for WW2, so now you can do such mod yourself :)

So i'm back from Holyday and what i see is fantastic ! That this idea come so good :-)

If i find some people for making this mod i will start it

Ive make some texturs in other games but 3D making thats not what i can do

I ask some friends and come back to say yes or no maybe someone of u will help?

First maybe we can start with the weapons and the civil of arma2

but this later

maybe i could help with some models. some days ago i was trying to bring this model in O². but it has many polys... and my current computer is very lame^^ it has a very detailed interior with many canons. it would be really cool to see such a ship in arma.

Tobie thats great!

So my status is red xD i look that i can model some for training and i start with the guns

i hope that i get it start i dont understand O2 o0

sorry for my long donwtimes ^^

ok in hours of horror in O2 i think i need help with this :banghead:

I have problems with O2 I hope that some lessons help me

so who can help me in basics and co?