Sign in to follow this  
W1NDOWL1CKER

AAS all messed up

Since a few days the weapons loadout system in AAS is all fucked up.

Some smartass decided that we need a new system in which u have to select loadout trough ctrl c and ctrl d.

THIS DOES NOT WORK, BRING IT BACK TO THE OLD SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are so many complaints, stop this.

To make matters worse, after switching once u loose ur main weapon altogether. Fuck this.

i dont know what you r talking about,do you mean this happens in all the aas servers??and from when?the last aas i played was 4 days ago and it was normal as always

i dont know what you r talking about,do you mean this happens in all the aas servers??and from when?the last aas i played was 4 days ago and it was normal as always

I think it has been like this since yesterday.

NOBODY seems to like it.

And yes, this is the case on all AAS severs, something like V0.4 r269 appears in the text right before u enter the game (this text is new too)..........

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

WL here is the thread to give CoolBox feedback:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/4677

Ok, thanks, i'll go there right now.

Edited by W1NDOWL1CKER

remove the SMAW from the ammo crate and leave the previous system intact.

who cares if a west unit is using an east weapon or vice versa, at least I don't

its the persons skill with the weapon that kills, not the weapon itself.

I didnt like the new system . I couldnt easily choose weapons of my preference.

* this post is now in Coolbox Feedback ;)

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

You cant use the other side's weapons anymore? That sucks. I always used the enemy default weapon so they thought anyone shooting nearby was on their team.

You're right windowlicker, and I'm sure a large chunk of the AAS community feels the same way.. There was nothing wrong with the way loadouts were handled, and it didn't need to be changed. I do, however, appreciate what coolbox attempted and it's nice to see he still keeps on working to better his product! But this just wasn't it :)

PS: Will be asking dky7 about changing back to the previous version, I know a lot of us at The Grunts Clan agree with you on this matter.

There are many versions of AAS floating around. Server admins can always choose to run another version. I think that the loadout screen and weapon limitations are intended for a competition version of this game type, so pub servers should just run the previous incarnation.

I don't think this was the best way to handle loadouts either, but it was an attempt to allow players to quickly customize a loadout. Perhaps by default it could give the regular loadout, then bring up the window. That way those players that have difficulty with advanced skills such as pressing two keys simultaneously can just click their class, then walk away from the crate which brings down the window.

Oh, and the "product" being referred to isn't one. It's something that was developed for free by people who wish to contribute to the Arma community. When a game developer sells a product that does't work well, there is a tendency to POST REALLY INFLAMATORY REMARKS IN ALL CAPS AND USE LOTS OF EXTRA EXCLAMATION POINTS IN ORDER TO EMPHASIZE YOUR CONSUMER OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Perhaps this is not the best tone to strike with someone that is working hard to provide something to you free of charge? Something you apparently have enjoyed for a while.

...or hey, you could always script a game type yourself. But, that might involve some effort on your part that you wouldn't be paid for...couldn't have that happen, could we?

There are many versions of AAS floating around. Server admins can always choose to run another version. I think that the loadout screen and weapon limitations are intended for a competition version of this game type, so pub servers should just run the previous incarnation.

I don't think this was the best way to handle loadouts either, but it was an attempt to allow players to quickly customize a loadout. Perhaps by default it could give the regular loadout, then bring up the window. That way those players that have difficulty with advanced skills such as pressing two keys simultaneously can just click their class, then walk away from the crate which brings down the window.

Oh, and the "product" being referred to isn't one. It's something that was developed for free by people who wish to contribute to the Arma community. When a game developer sells a product that does't work well, there is a tendency to POST REALLY INFLAMATORY REMARKS IN ALL CAPS AND USE LOTS OF EXTRA EXCLAMATION POINTS IN ORDER TO EMPHASIZE YOUR CONSUMER OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Perhaps this is not the best tone to strike with someone that is working hard to provide something to you free of charge? Something you apparently have enjoyed for a while.

...or hey, you could always script a game type yourself. But, that might involve some effort on your part that you wouldn't be paid for...couldn't have that happen, could we?

Very well said,,,, when someone puts a lot of time and effort into making the game better for others the last thing they want is comments like

"Some smartass decided that we need a new system in which u have to select loadout trough ctrl c and ctrl d."

And

"jesus christ of god who made this crap? "

"the aas is ruined now,thank you for this shit "

Grow up and make some positive comments, The guy doesnt get Paid to do this.

I´ve to add that there are many Hosts around lately who put their Players in the Role of Alpha-Testers without telling anything or even checking the Alpha´s in LAN first. Alpha´s get updated several times a day sometimes. On a well going server i wouldn´t recommend hosting Alpha´s without checking them before and if someone wants still to do so he should always be up to date, which could mean updating maps several times a week. At least nobody is forced to use Alpha´s at all because that´s always work in progress with a lot of bugs and unfinished things in it. The latest public Beta08 Release is still r224 but Beta09 is right around the corner.

I can understand that normal players don´t like gameplay changes every day and are starting to go mad. We´ve at least ONE always empty server that´s always hosting the latest Alpha-Version, no one is forced to play there but everyone is invited to go there and give Feedback. That´s the one in my sig and that can only host ONE Ruleset at a time from five others to choose from that offer all different kinds of Player-Kits, Freedom and Settings. Even more AGW is a heavy-weight in Alpha-Testing also, so there is no real need for all AAS-Hosts out there to start something like a "Who runs the most outdated Alpha-Version-Competition" . The Public Beta´s are meant for wide-range public use.

CoolBox and all what he does to AAS is a lot inspired by Community-Feedback. His goal is not to make gameplay worse or make players upset. Threads like this don´t help us at all. In its first implementations of the new menu and Kit-System there were problems with its general usability, conflicting key-controls and major bugs where it was possible to lose your complete Loadout. It took several Alpha-Versions from r264 to r281 to fix most of them and there is still one last problem that affects access to the Class-Menu caused by the Armory-Timer which hopefully get fixed in the next public Beta. That´s not a secret at all, it can be looked up on Dev-Heaven all the time.

For those who don´t like Classes at all or the new Faction-Specific-Loadouts we made a new "Classic-Ruleset". If a host decide´s to use it, all Players have access to nearly all weapons of ArmA2 no matter if you play Red or Blue-Team, all stuff is in that Armory and you can go for it and save it as a Custom-Loadout. That´s more variety than ever before in AAS so Hosts should try all the different Rulesets and choose the one that they like the most. There´s more than just "Public" to choose from.

Not to mention that there´s a lot of bug-fixing going on. For example r224/Beta08 is very annoying if you go to an armory or if you like to enter vehicles after you´ve just respawned it takes ages until the according menu comes up. That´s all fixed now.

There´s a lot of discussion going on over at the dev-heaven.net Development Site and there are changes, bugfixes and additions to AAS nearly every day, so there are also a lot of already obsolete discussions going on. However, if you don´t want to be an Alpha-Tester as Player or Host, Beta08 r224 is the only thing to go for today, Beta09 is possibly only a few hours away but all in between will always be Alpha-Stuff! Please keep in mind that Public-Beta still does not mean "Final"!

Let me add just one last thing: All this AAS-Code and Script-Stuff is free, very well commented by CoolBox and very modular. You don´t need to be a crack to create your own Ruleset! Everyone can take it and change it to his own needs. I would suggest waiting for the Final version before doing so in your own missions but of course you can already do it. With all that said, I personally don´t like the tone of this thread at all.

Edited by BCA Cat Toaster

Very well said,,,, when someone puts a lot of time and effort into making the game better for others the last thing they want is comments like

"Some smartass decided that we need a new system in which u have to select loadout trough ctrl c and ctrl d."

And

"jesus christ of god who made this crap? "

"the aas is ruined now,thank you for this shit "

Grow up and make some positive comments, The guy doesnt get Paid to do this.

They arent making the game better:they gave the fatal hit to mp cos the game itself has enough troubles,lack of pvp servers,etc.But the most important question is about the admins:why do they decide for us?is this like "the server is mine so I act as I want"?is this the arma 2 mp?

BEcause they pay for the server.. if you want to choose then get your hand in your pocket,,,, would you like me to tell you what to do with somthing you pay for ?

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

They arent making the game better

Are u saying that the game is better without AAS if thats the case why are you even posting here..... if you dont like it.. dont play it.

BEcause they pay for the server.. if you want to choose then get your hand in your pocket,,,, would you like me to tell you what to do with somthing you pay for ?

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Are u saying that the game is better without AAS if thats the case why are you even posting here..... if you dont like it.. dont play it.

I post here cos i like pvp(especially berzerk and aas);hw it seems you agree with my complain,good.From now every single player will buy an own server=no more mp needed!:eek:

can we make peace now?:756::286:

By now I'm aware of the fact that Coolbox is the guy who developed the new system and I respect him a lot.

I'm very thankful to him for creating a major part of AAS in the first place. What I want to say is that now that I know that he made the changes I wish I hadn't used certain words like I did...:(

However, there being so few pure AAS servers out there, I really wish we could return to the 'old' and trusted system. On certain armour biased maps when you're on foot it is impossible to fight aginst a load of tanks and apc's without having proper AT-weapons to choose from.

As I said before, thanks Coolbox for creating this great gametype but the latest 'improvement' is actually a mistake.

Actually, Window, the game you left yesterday wasn't that bad, at least in terms of teamplay. I find the kit force us out of the "I can do it all" gear setup and thus makes things happen, if not by sticking together, at least by making people communicate because when you're with a sniper rifle facing BMP3 + T90, you'll have to begin to yell for help :D

Admitedly, problem is more in how the kits are built. M136 on vehicle heavy maps is not enough.

And also in the way the GUI for kits is made. The key combo is messing up with my own setting, I've even changed kit yesterday without even noticing :D

@Whisper:

The game of yesterday evening you are talking about is a good example of how the new system fails.

The only AT-weapon I could select was the M136, which does absolutely no damage to a T-72.

I guess we'll just have to get used to it...

Seems I´m writing in transparent letters... Besides the fact you might have played an ALPHA-Version and perhaps also not the latest, a Host can choose from different RULESETS offering differents Classes, Loadouts and Gameplay. In most cases you only see the "Public" Ruleset which is default but can be changed by the server-admin. The BCA-Ruleset offers for example THREE additional Engineer-Classes (RPG18/SMAW;Javelin/Metis;Stinger/Igla) and more weapons to choose from and we have the new CLASSIC-Ruleset that offers ALL Weapons from BOTH Factions via the manual Armory-Loadout as you were used to it in Beta08. Even the "Public-Kits" were changed in the latest Alphas. It´s all there, Players and Hosts just have to chose what they like most and go for it.

But saying "AAS is all messed up" is just not fair while you were in fact playing and judging an already outdated Alpha-Version and you and your Host didn´t even know that they have alternative options like those rulesets to choose from. The only other Rulesets you might have seen is that running on our server or the AGW on their server. In our Ruleset we deactivated the "Heal Thyself" Option on the Armory, that´s a BCA-Decision and CoolBox programmed it to have at as an "Option" to "Enable" or "Disable" that. So we decided to disable it in our Ruleset but it is still enabled in "Public". I asked for an "Armory-Timer" to avoid RPG-Spamming and CoolBox made it also as an "Option". BCA decided to set it up to one Minute in our Ruleset, CB decided to set it to 20-30 seconds in "Public" and I decided to set i just to 5 seconds in "Classic". There´s also a "Hardcore-Ruleset" with disabled Minimap for those who may like it. Not all is final yet, as we need time and actually players and feedback to balance those things out.

But please don´t judge every Alpha-Version like "Final" and focus on valuable Feedback on the Public Beta´s! Also keep an Eye on which Ruleset you are playing so we can improve those also and make the Hosts aware that there´s more to check out. Beta09 will be released in different packages where each major "Ruleset" is set to standard and a short description about the differences. This will hopefully help Hosts and Players to find the right thing they are looking for.

Toaster, what is judged by players is what they play.

How to change ruleset and how to see what is available?

Toaster, what is judged by players is what they play.

Yes, actually players seem to play unfinished and bugged Alpha-Versions lately and of course are facing problems and getting pixxed and start threads like this. I think they should just know the whole story before blaming the developer.

How to change ruleset and how to see what is available?

As a Host/Admin you have to choose a different Ruleset instead of "Public" before you start a mission via Parameters/Settings menu of a mission, I don´t know how that menu is exactly labeled in the english version of the game and it has moved with Patch 1.04 but I think Hosts are aware of this general menu.

I don´t have to tell you that there´s a problem calling the desired Ruleset via server.cfg -> http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/4988

So we gonna workaround that as described in that ticket.

Information about the Rulesets can be found here, but nothing is final yet:

Classic -> http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/4931

Hardcore -> http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/4832

AGW is for their Tournemant-Use, check out

BCA -> is a mix between Classic, Public and Hardcore

Here is some additional information about the "Hardcoreness" of each Ruleset -> http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/4526

The Rulesets do not offer only different Player-Kits and Loadouts, they can also affect settings for:

- Spawn-Protection

- Vehicle-Respawn-Times (Tanks can be set different than Plain and so on)

- Armory-Heal enabled or not

- Armory Destructable or not

- Weather/Time of day Random or Map Dependent

- Score System (yet all Rulesets use the same)

- Minimap visible or not

- Armory Timer (ClassChangeDelay)

- If, which and how many stuff is available at the Armory

Reminds me I didn't test the server.cfg settings with the new parameters system....

Here is some additional information about the "Hardcoreness" of each Ruleset -> http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/4526

I appreciate my opinion being heard, and switches made to allow the server admin to choose which 'loadout options' are available.

since playing this mission with east/west weapons available to either side, I may target those firing weapons of the opposite side, but it forces me to visually identify my target before firing. I cant simply use the sound as my judgment. I think learning to identify your target is a good thing, rather than firing into a bush because you hear an AK firing from within.

killya later! ;)

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

Seems I´m writing in transparent letters... Besides the fact you might have played an ALPHA-Version and perhaps also not the latest, a Host can choose from different RULESETS offering differents Classes, Loadouts and Gameplay. In most cases you only see the "Public" Ruleset which is default but can be changed by the server-admin. The BCA-Ruleset offers for example THREE additional Engineer-Classes (RPG18/SMAW;Javelin/Metis;Stinger/Igla) and more weapons to choose from and we have the new CLASSIC-Ruleset that offers ALL Weapons from BOTH Factions via the manual Armory-Loadout as you were used to it in Beta08. Even the "Public-Kits" were changed in the latest Alphas. It´s all there, Players and Hosts just have to chose what they like most and go for it.

But saying "AAS is all messed up" is just not fair while you were in fact playing and judging an already outdated Alpha-Version and you and your Host didn´t even know that they have alternative options like those rulesets to choose from. The only other Rulesets you might have seen is that running on our server or the AGW on their server. In our Ruleset we deactivated the "Heal Thyself" Option on the Armory, that´s a BCA-Decision and CoolBox programmed it to have at as an "Option" to "Enable" or "Disable" that. So we decided to disable it in our Ruleset but it is still enabled in "Public". I asked for an "Armory-Timer" to avoid RPG-Spamming and CoolBox made it also as an "Option". BCA decided to set it up to one Minute in our Ruleset, CB decided to set it to 20-30 seconds in "Public" and I decided to set i just to 5 seconds in "Classic". There´s also a "Hardcore-Ruleset" with disabled Minimap for those who may like it. Not all is final yet, as we need time and actually players and feedback to balance those things out.

But please don´t judge every Alpha-Version like "Final" and focus on valuable Feedback on the Public Beta´s! Also keep an Eye on which Ruleset you are playing so we can improve those also and make the Hosts aware that there´s more to check out. Beta09 will be released in different packages where each major "Ruleset" is set to standard and a short description about the differences. This will hopefully help Hosts and Players to find the right thing they are looking for.

Ok Cat Toaster,

I appreciate what u are saying.

The trouble is that lately there are only 1 or maybe 2 AAS servers running on many evenings, and even worse, on too many evenings there are none at all to be found...

A good example is your server (BCA), where has it gone? It used to be my favourite along with CEAL and The Grunts, but these days I'm happy when even 1 of those servers is running.

Maybe we should all focus a bit more on playing the game instead of at developing the game.

Everybody was happy with the way things were, the result being 20 to 30 players on each AAS server each night, just look at the state of things right now...

Tonight there was, again, not a single AAS server running, and this is happening more and more lately.