Sign in to follow this  
Grunz

Demo activation with license key?

Hello,

I just bought a license key for ArmA2 via ebay. In the description of the offer there was written "download the demo version and upgrade it to the full version by entering the license key".

So I downloaded the demo version (the steam version as well as the stand-alone version), but I can't find any option for entering the license key. In the steam client, there is a possibility to activate a game by entering a key, but there, my key is not accepted.

Can anyone confirm if there is a legal possibility to get to the full version somehow with a valid license key?

The ebay dealer appeared to be reliable, with lots of sales and positive ratings. He quickly answered to my request that other customers didn't have any problems entering the key. But instead of giving direct instructions, he refered me to this forum..:-/. So here I am.

Thanks for any help!

Sorry mate, but I think you got royally screwed. The demo cannot be upgraded to a full version in any way. At least this goes for the normal demo version - perhaps Steam is running some kind of special offer thing, but otherwise I can't think of any way you could just enter a key and "unlock" the full game.

MadDogX is entirely correct.

The downloadable demo is a no-go in this case, so if I were you I'd turn towards Steam. Maybe try re-entering the CD-key a couple of times to make sure it's not a typo or something, and if it still doesn't work ask their support to confirm that it's a valid cd-key at all.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368

edit: You could of course also inquire the seller on which version the cd-key is meant for. There's other downloadable versions besides Steam, even though as far as I'm aware none offers any "upgrade from demo" capability.

Edited by Fincuan

A2 demo does NOT have the full content of A2 retail game (download version, either steam or sproket or else, or box).

SO i am positively sure you got screwed :)

As they mentioned, the download version is litterally a fraction of the game, it doesn't even contain all the content in the files so it's not plausably possible. That said, it could be a redemption code for Steam or another download system, so ask him which version, but right now it's not looking too promising as I haven't actually seen any information about such a system.

If you paid via paypal you may be able to get a refund. Put up a link to his ebay profile. If thats allowed on this forum, i know some forums have issues with linking to external sites.

Can anyone confirm if there is a legal possibility to get to the full version somehow with a valid license key?

!

I can confirm. When you buy it from a reputable dealer (Steam, etc...) they give you a valid license key. You got scammed.

Yeah, sounds like you got scammed. Contact ebay and paypal if you paid that way, they'll sort things out, and the guy who sold you the key will be banned and probs fined. I'd never ever buy cd'keys from anywhere, always buy the hard copy or a direct download from trusted sellers. (Steam, D2D etc)

Thank you all for your quick and clear answers!

I already feared that the offer was not serious because it was just to cheap (only 12,- Euro for the license).

Obviously, this 'excellent occasion' made me somewhat careless and insane :292:

However, I will first contact the ebay dealer again before complaining to ebay. After all, he has a rating of 99,6% with more than 3000 sells - perhaps, this one was a slip-up...

Thank you all for your quick and clear answers!

I already feared that the offer was not serious because it was just to cheap (only 12,- Euro for the license).

Obviously, this 'excellent occasion' made me somewhat careless and insane :292:

However, I will first contact the ebay dealer again before complaining to ebay. After all, he has a rating of 99,6% with more than 3000 sells - perhaps, this one was a slip-up...

That or he's laughing his way to the bank :yay:

I remember seeing a guy with a questionable sale on eBay once. He had a near perfect rating with thousands of sales. Closer inspection revealed that all but a few were actually soup can labels that had sold for under a penny each (and mostly to the same dozen-or-so other accounts....which were likley all the same guy in shades).

Always look closely at those "near perfect" ratings with "thousands" of sales.....