THEBLITZ6794

Grand Battle missions

What do you want?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want?

• grunt
    • low level commander
    • commander

Hi, I'm a JR mapper and a long time player of OFP. I also played Elite. One thing I like about Arma 2 and the series is the ability to simulate large scale battles even up to the operational level. I think the engine is made for platoon to company sized engagements and I'm gonna start making maps about these. Now, here's the catch: I don't like being in command. I like watching huge battles unfold and being a grunt in them. So, if it's a rifle platoon attacking a Chedaki village, I might make it so that you're the machine gunner in 1st squad. Maybe there's a company with a platoon of Abrams smashing Russian lines. You might lead the Abrams but be subordinate to the Captain. Stuff like that. You're part of a bigger picture. Your actions might have some effect (say you're a sniper) but the battle is up to how the ai handles it.

What do you say?

Ambush on Highway 5

Edited by THEBLITZ6794

Those are my favorite types of missions and really why I bought ARMA. I like being a small cog in a big machine even if that means my actions don't have a huge effect on the battle.

If the battle is awesome and fun enough then I can get sucked into the experience of being insignificant and helpless while at the same time ENJOYING that feeling instead of being annoyed with it.

*edit* Talking about grunt type missions.

Yeah I agree, its good watching a battle pan out & feeling like your just a small part of it! Every other war game out there feels like the entire war revolves around you & your actions, this one doesnt & thats how I like to play it :) I like missions where your fighting hard with your squad, but other squads are going after the objective too & sometimes they finish the mission before you even get near the objective

im working on my first. it will be an intro to this idea. u are playing as a russian whos watching the chedaki to determine whether its worthwhile to support them. u also can play as a US autorifleman.

a us platoon (3 squads+2 humvees with m240) is attacking a chedaki road block.

Grand Battles are my fav type of battle and main reason I got Arma2!

Sadly no too missions geared towards. Would love to see more.

Feel free to check out mine (take the airport) which has over 600-800 (at any given time) AI with combined arms (PLanes,helicopters, tanks, infantry and some paratroopers and insertion on battle field.

I hope other mission makers make Le Grande missions as well! :)

it looks like the majority want to be a grunt but a decent number want to be a low level commander. ill add plenty where ur a squad leader and plenty where ur a grunt

I'm a grunt. But that's just me, some people enjoy commanding large forces. I think have both playable, have it so a commander can say "1st Squad go here, 2nd Here, etc".

the next mission will make you the leader of a squad in a marine platoon. im not good with ai though.

It is important from mission design prospective, to involve different elements, Air,Infantry,Armor, artillery and maybe some SF component behind enemylines instead of having 2 large groups of 500 men each attach each other with move WP! (I have seen a few) :)

I'd like to cooperate with mission designers who are interested in Grand Battles (a few it seems) on making the mother of all battles mission .. :)

It is important from mission design prospective, to involve different elements, Air,Infantry,Armor, artillery and maybe some SF component behind enemylines instead of having 2 large groups of 500 men each attach each other with move WP! (I have seen a few) :)

I'd like to cooperate with mission designers who are interested in Grand Battles (a few it seems) on making the mother of all battles mission .. :)

One of the best user made grand battle missions ive played on ArmA 2 is "operation enable sky", check it out if you havent played it :cool: starts off knocking out some AA batteries with a small squad, then you link up with quite a large force after that, get transported to an LZ about 2 miles outside of a town which you then assault backed up by armour & a lot of infantry in a big but not over done firefight, after capturing the town you then have to defend it against a counter attack, great immersive mission!

I will check it out. I am almost up for a good grand battle.

I am working on a new mission that will have over 1,500 AI at any given time on battle field.

It might require 32 core PCs with 12 graphic cards and 10,000 KWT PSU but that is a minor detail! :)

If you're making the player part of a large force, be sure not to leave him on the sidelines waving his arms in frustration as half his comrades kill themselves through sheer idiocy. It may be a good way to set up a play environment, but it is annoying when all your allies go up against armor without AT or drive their APCs into mines. So testing is the answer. I guess.

i lack the skills for the platoon map. but i have the bluefor setup for a defensive mission in combat somewhere between platoon and company size. i have a great example in the form of soaks missions which include defense. u will be a squad leader btw.

Edited by THEBLITZ6794

i noticed alot of people want to be grunts. thats fine but ur not gonna be able to change how the mission plays out. im just warnin ya

hey THEBLITZ6794,

I was about to build a defensive positions for this new mision I am making. I already have the offensive force in place. It is made for company size engament.

If you want we could cooperate on next mission.

wut we can do is u script and i map. i got a whole line of ideas for a "campaign". it wouldnt be a real campaign but it would follow a storyline.

I would not call myself a scriptor, but I know enough for basics in mission.

What I wanted was to have a few of us design sub missions within a larger mission then merge them together as in real life battles are usually smaller missions put together.

This could be done for large Coop and as TvT.

OK, I've thought about it and there's 3 choices for the nest map:

1. Is where you're in a Marine platoon that's attacking a village.

2. You're a CDF sergeant at the Grozvoy Pass (far northern Chernarus) where your company is desperately trying to hold the Russians.

3. You're a marine corporal who is part of a batallion which is encicled in a massive Russian assault. The batallion has taken cover in a forest but F company was seperated and stuff like that. It'd be modelled after The Lost Batallion.

Anyone remember that 1 mission in Flashpoint, where you are just a grunt coming up from the other side of a hill, you get to the top and see the Ruskies further down the hill behind some trees etc, and then the battle starts?

Or the mission where you get dropped in the BZ by heli, and a huge onfoot battle is already going on. That was awesome shiz. I`d love to see some co op/sp large battle scenarios where I am just a Grunt.

This is what BI really need to release - a whole load of missions in which you are a grunt taking part in a massive war and series of engagements without any of the commander rubbish getting in the way. I also really like it when they leave a few vehicles around that you can get in and use if you want. That makes for a brilliant mission. I am not interested in campaigns etc all I want is some grand battles!! I also love massive tank battles. Imagine if they designed a massive tank battle in which you were one helicopter attacking thema t the same time as they were fighting getting allocated targets by a FAC that would be fantastic. These are the kind of mission I really want to see!!