Sign in to follow this  
Flash Thunder

Very disappointed with Editor interface Non user friendly

If this was just a suggestion it should have been in the "Suggestions" forum! No this is just another buuuhuuu i can't figure out to do this and that... waahhhhhuuu the editor is so non user friendly and un-optimized... i'm sure it doesn't use all my cores and even with -winxp i only get 1024*768 dpi frames per minute... wtf it said on the box the hooker AI was hard to get but my brother pick'em up like flies.... maybe it's swine flu, could that be or should i just post a poll?

I agree with the OP. The editor needs more drop down menus and less scripting, its not hard to do, but that not my job either.

I Love ARMA OFP.. yadda ..yadda. I Use the editor, it works well but reqiures too much scripting for the average user and most forum tutorials and posts assume you know how to script so they are some help but you get lost at times.

As far as it being the easiest editor to use...not even close.

Its good, but the scripting rules out any use of the word easy.

Ive created lots of content on many other sims and have used editors that create complex strings and environments with out typing on letter, all drag and drop and dropdown menu options.

As an example, lets take the Artillery Module.

This should be pretty straight forward.

Set down some guns, synch or group it to a unit or Commander, hit preview, select a target and request artillery strike. Similar to "target that house" or "go to..."

It should be that simple, but its not. yes there is a tutorial and I will learn it but it will probably take an hour of tinkering just to learn that one simple command.

It should be easier.

Everyone owe's a big thanks to the community as they are the ones that have made the editor what it is. The 3rd party addons and tools are awsome and easy to use......

The big question is, why hasent BIS put these things into the editor themselves. (ie:missionbriefing editor).

MS Flight Sim has one of the largest 3rd party communities ever. When addons and utilities were created by end users MS would try to integrate these new features into its next release. Why hasnt BIS taken a note from the community and added these easy to use features to the stock program.

Its not a rip on BIS or ARMA or anybody to say that it could be more user friendly and the only people defending it are the ones who have been scripiting for a long time since OFP because they put alot of time into gaining the knowledge.

Scripting is not fun.

Playing the mission youve created is the whole point of the editor and fun, not the scripting part. Think back, DOS was not fun, thats why windows was so succesfull.

To be fair there is validity in both arguments and, yes! there should be more accesable drop down menus for basic things (ie: Land At command) and if you want to create a more complex scenerio scripting is the answer.

But I do not agree that this editor is the easiest to use although it is a very powerfull tool in capable hands...

Once again, thanks to all the community mentors/creators for filling where BIS left off.

And to BIS, great software just needs a little tweak here and there.

Cheers All:yay:

Edited by tractorking

Hi,

@ tractorking

I agree with you.

You've weighted both sides and come to a very fair conclusion.

Cheers

Scripting is not fun.

Playing the mission youve created is the whole point of the editor and fun, not the scripting part. Think back, DOS was not fun, thats why windows was so succesfull.

Says you. :) Personally I enjoy scripting and editing as much if not more than actually playing the game. Though seeing others play something I helped create is pretty kick ass too. But scripting is totally fun for some. :) So was DOS. ;)

Back of the box.

MISSION EDITOR - Design your own missions by the intuitive easy-to-use mission editor and become part of one of the biggest most creative PC gaming community ever.

Easy-to-use for programmers I suppose?

I am disappointed by the rubbish responses people told the OP, "you're stupid" etc.

Back of the box.

MISSION EDITOR - Design your own missions by the intuitive easy-to-use mission editor and become part of one of the biggest most creative PC gaming community ever.

I quote this for truth's sake.

If this was just a suggestion it should have been in the "Suggestions" forum! No this is just another buuuhuuu i can't figure out to do this and that... waahhhhhuuu the editor is so non user friendly and un-optimized... i'm sure it doesn't use all my cores and even with -winxp i only get 1024*768 dpi frames per minute... wtf it said on the box the hooker AI was hard to get but my brother pick'em up like flies.... maybe it's swine flu, could that be or should i just post a poll?

You need to be banned.

Troll harder, I have a legitament complaint and the threads already served its purpose, I thought this thread would've more mature people, I do recognize one of my statements was alittle radical but, nevertheless still a legit complaint.

Actually now I got some help Im starting to make my own Co-op missions for me and my friend in the Armed Forces.

@Noxious- HEAR HEAR!!!

Edited by Flash Thunder

The mission editor IS easy to use.

See for yourself here:

ARMA2 DevDiary: 02 - Editor Basics

Plop down a guy, plop down some enemies, go to town. The End.

It gets more complicated when you start to do things like demand extremely specific loadouts or expect to have cutscene level synchronization between disparate units. That takes scripting, as it would in pretty much any other game, and that takes patience, knowledge and time.

You can do a LOT without scripting anything at all in fact. But people always want that one thing that you can't do without scripting then complain about scripting saying the editor is hard to use. Hogwash. :)

And yes, this entire post was just an excuse to use the word 'hogwash'. Sorry.

Back of the box.

Easy-to-use for programmers I suppose?

I am disappointed by the rubbish responses people told the OP, "you're stupid" etc.

Because clicking to drop troops on the map, clicking to make them have a path, clicking to add conditions and synchronization, clicking to set the mission environment, weather, time, clicking to create events depending on conditions, clicking to add music, ambiant sounds, you name it... is counter-intuitive how?

The editor could be easier.

It's nowhere a shame that BI didn't make it really easier. They didn't owe us making it easier than it was already.

Instead, they added to the flexibility and possibilities. They didn't make already existing possibilities more accessible (well, they made advanced ones more accessible through modules). They just added more. Ie they removed existing limitations, etc.. They enhanced it.

Now you answer : you prefer a menu for configuring loadouts from the editor itself, or you prefer to be able to publicVariable any variable types, fill the island with civilian in 2 clicks, avoid seeing your custom GUI borked by screen aspect ratio, better access to FSM, etc...?

Newcomers will prefer the former

People used to OFP/ArmA scripting will prefer the latter

Imho I better have more possibilities, results in better result at the end

You need to be banned.

I have a legitament complaint and the threads already served its purpose, I thought this thread would've more mature people, I do recognize one of my statements was alittle radical but, nevertheless still a legit complaint.

Actually now I got some help Im starting to make my own Co-op missions for me and my friend in the Armed Forces.

@Noxious- HEAR HEAR!!!

Ok your complaint is legit I give you that. But the last I looked this is a place to ask how to do scripting. Not tell us how bad the editor is. This is not a complaint nor a suggestion forum. But a how to and help me with that kinda thing. And you really did not ask for help you pretty much said. I can not and will not script this. And started the down grading of the product. So actually this was the wrong place for this. And actually the folks are way more tame here then most forums I have to say. So like I said may be legit just wrong location for your legit. So Moderator please lock this post up. And distribute the cheese with this whine.:eek: Oh and Stop With you need to be band crap. Makes you look like a guy that has no control in rl and is trying to get it here. So try to be more mature about it. Blowing it off does more damage to them. Than giving them a rise. I admit I got a little hairy on my first post. So you have a chance for a come back. Thank God. Just try to ask for help in this spot or help others. Go gripe in the Area where you need to tell the company what you think. This section is where the people that love the scripting. And for folks like me that want to learn it.

Edited by Gunnykat
Speeling I can'ts speel so lives wit it!!!! lol

As an example, lets take the Artillery Module.

This should be pretty straight forward.

Set down some guns, synch or group it to a unit or Commander, hit preview, select a target and request artillery strike. Similar to "target that house" or "go to..."

It should be that simple, but its not. yes there is a tutorial and I will learn it but it will probably take an hour of tinkering just to learn that one simple command.

It should be easier.

You mean one whole hour to learn how to do something :butbut:

This premise that the Editor should be easier, is really very annoying, almost as annoying is the OP's demands to have people banned. Why should it be easier? I like the fact that its not simple or easy to do, what do you gain in life by things being easy? Frozen Pizza's are easy to make but why bother to eat it, you might as well cut out the middle man and throw it down the toilet.

If you don't like scripting don't do scripting, its really that simple. If you want to do just basic stuff do so, its easy. But no you want to be able to do more difficult things but you say it should be easy to do it and you don't want to do it with scripts. Yea Whatever :sigh:

Edited by Padjur

Let me keep flaming and make idiotic stereotypical statements, this doesn't qualify as a ban?

I got a warning just because I replied to somes image. :eek:

Let me keep flaming and make idiotic stereotypical statements, this doesn't qualify as a ban?

I got a warning just because I replied to somes image. :eek:

Are you ban happy or what.

I do find the "the editor is easy to use" line a little non truthful. I really wish it was simpler. Scripting is a problem that I think needs to be fixed. Even the BI wiki isn't that helpful. They just tell you to write it down. They never tell you where to put it. I've spent maybe 80% of my time with ArmA 2 taking user made missions, dissecting them and learning how they run. If I find a line of code I need to remember I just paste it in a note pad.

I love BI, I love their games, and their community, but mod making and mission editing is a pain in the ass.

mod making and mission editing is a pain in the ass.

As said before... this is true in any game (except board games, its a little easier). Try making a mission with Sandbox2 for Crysis... oh yea, you'll have loads of fun with that one :P

Ok, this thread has gone on long enough.

The vast majority of you need to grow up and start acting like adults. This forum is intended to serve as a helpful resource; treat it as such from the future now, OK?