Sign in to follow this  
galzohar

Fast walk - how?

When you try to run while aiming, your character automatically walks faster than the normal walk speed. I've noticed that when I bind fast forward to a joystick axis, I can also move at that speed when not aiming the weapon. However I couldn't find a way to walk at that speed without aiming my weapon, which would be very useful in CQB. Anyone has any idea how to move at that speed with the keyboard without aiming the weapon?

Edited by galzohar

There are 3 possible ways of moving I can think of right now.

While "W" is the standard key for moving forward, you can combine it with the "Shift" key and by double tapping the "W" key. Try it - it depends on your key configuration!

My configuration is this:

Hitting "W" key - walk forward.

Double tapping "Shift" key and then hitting "W" key activates - fast walk forward.

Double tapping "Shift" key and double hitting "W" key activates - sprint forward.

Edited by Jimmy the Saint

There are 3 possible ways of moving I can think of right now.

This is incorrect. There are definitely 2 walking speeds in the game, on top of running and sprinting. Total 4 speeds.

Double tapping "Shift" key and then hitting "W" key activates - fast walk forward.

This again is incorrect. It will do a slow walk forward, not fast walk.

When I'm in "walking mode" (after hitting "walk or run toggle", default key 2Xleft shift) it will do the slow walk, regardless of whether I'm aiming or not.

When I'm in "running mode" (default) it will run if I'm not aiming and will walk fast if I'm aiming. Same when holding "walk or run temporary" (default key shift) in "walking mode".

"Slow forward" will always do the slow walk. Same with holding "walk or run temporary" (default key shift) in "running mode".

"Fast forward" will always sprint.

Only way I found to "walk fast" was to try to run while aiming, or to bind movement to a joystick axis. Both solutions are unacceptable, was hoping there was a way to do it without aiming using the keyboard.

Edited by galzohar

double tap ctrl to put the weapon away - This is what most ai use to walk/jog when not in combat.

This is not for out of combat, in CQB I want to be able to move as fast as the game allows without lowering my weapon, which currently is only possible if you're actually aiming it, and I can't find a way to do it without aiming the weapon unless I use a joystick axis for it. Just try binding movement to a joystick axis yourself and see the "fast walk" mode is possible, just can't find a way to do it with the keyboard unless you aim your weapon.

I think its limited to when you're zoomed in. I can't find a way.

It goes something like this...

(diagonal sprint, can't tell, but in ArmA1, sprinting diagonal never made your man slow down from getting tired and allowed you to look behind you. hint hint ;) )

Sprint - Wx2

Run - W

Crouched Run - W

Walk and Aim - W whilst looking down sight (rightclick / num0)

Walk Slow / whilst aiming - W + Shift

Crouched Slow - W + Shift (may be same as above, not sure)

Crawl (may be same as above)

Crawl Slow

Super Slow creep /w joystick etc

Edited by Dead3yez

Here are the default keys:

evasive forward - "not assigned"

forward - "w"

fast forward - 2x "w"

slow forward - "not assigned"

walk or run toggle - 2x "left shift"

walk or run temporary - "left shift"

prone - "y" (or z)

crouch - "x"

stand up - "c"

Those are all the options you have to combine and you might get your favorite stance.

No problemo, right? :confused:

Crouch and run and you will walk fast.

Nope, that will actually run and lower your weapon.

It seems like there is no way to do it with the keyboard without aiming your weapon. Anyone knows of a way to use AutoHotkey (or similar) to have a keyboard press simulate a virtual joystick axis state?

SOLVED: In order to walk faster with weapon up, assing "SLOW FORWARD" to your W key (walk forward button as default). This way the game recognizes two keystrokes for walking forward for some reason, and makes the player WALK a bit faster while aiming down the sights.

I found out this by noticing that (default settings) when I walked forward (W key) and pressed UP ARROW the faster walk initialized. Then I just tested every possible key combination and found out that assigning SLOW FORWARD to the same key as the default walking forward (W key), it will show the key assigned as red but it will work flawlessly.

Interesting solution.

Though now with SMK animations this is obviously a non-issue.

Hi, for walk forward a bit faster when aiming i just raise the weapon,aiming down the sights, and press Up Arrow; it works, you walk faster than the slow walk (Right Shift, as i've re-mapped most of the keybinds) wich is good for urban combat but it sucks if someone appears at +60m from you. Let's C ya