Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Multiplayer "HOLD" maps are where the fun is at!!!

As someone who actually tried to make some good co-ops, I can see the complaints about the AI a lot better. I had to scrap SO many mission ideas because the AI's stupidity simply did not allow for them to work properly.

I tried that Mod and and could be fun.The problem thats keeping me away from armaII MP with more persons on public is ALLWAYS that terrible lag.All people got pings not higher then 100 but the lag is just way to annoying...

Do any AAS servers (or any other PVP) have the Arma2 squad system intact. I was on a server recently with a friend and the 'Ctrl k' to apply for a squad thing sucked badly. I want to be sl and have my team mate status and commands exactly as in the main game. i know the game mode is in beta state but i would really like to see this feature.

I've had some good times with aas, it's a nice alternative to some of the epic ai encounters. I like both though, and there's definitely room for both in Arma 2 (interesting that people even get defensive about game modes when it comes to Arma 2:eek::D) and players vs ai controlled by player (in high command) is a nice twist on coop.

I'd like to see smaller maps with fewer players in aas. i know some people will hate that idea but i think it ramps up the intensity when there isn't just a stream of bodies running out of woodlands to shoot at from your camped position. Just my opinion. there's scope for many variations but even now (when it works and isn't full of dicks) it's great.

the pvp mode is the best,but there is a lack of servers running it and the spawn system sucks at the moment

Thanks for your Feedback!

I don´t really see a lack of AAS-Servers, but a lack of AAS-players. There are about five empty AAS-Servers all the time so that really doesn´t seem to be a problem at the moment. Just filter for "aas" in the Hostname.

The Squad-System is still under construction, it´s just a first step in r224.

Concerning smaller maps there are more to come. In r224 there are already a few infantry based small Maps like Battle for Krasnostav, Into the Dark and Cheeseburger Hill (smallest of the small ones) and we´ll have at least three more small ones upcoming with the next release. Those can be fun with 8-10 players already (if they know what to do) without the need of using vehicles to reach the targets.

@Aelin

What´s the problem with the current spawn-system?

The problem is that you spawn straight into combat, instead of spawning at an area that nobody fights in and then move tactically into the combat area. If there was always 1 neutral zone that is the only capable zone and nobody could respawn in it, and when it's capped the next zone becomes neutral, things would be much better, as you won't have defenders spawn right in the middle of the objective. Current spawn system makes spawn camping a requirement in order to have any chance to capture, and with spawn protection it makes capturing something from a good team impossible.

What you call a problem is very Fundamental - in my eyes - for the AAS-Game-Mechanics. Maybe i´m ignorant as kju says because i´m playing and loving it that way for five years now, but me and ten of my friend´s wouldn´t have bought ArmA2 without the AAS-Mode we currently have and it´s still a way to go until it´s really done to finally judge it. So i never said im totally neutral ;-).

Seriously: We are discussing all these gameplay-elements and we have already an open ticket regarding this topic also. So your feedback is definitely not ignored. Coolbox is on vacation now and meanwhile i´m focussing on the new "Player-Kit-System" he made.

Nobody ever wondered why each faction has full access to each others weaponry and what picking a class like "Engineer" is good for if you can also pick a russian "Sniper" and give him a Western AT-4 and other "SuperSoldier-Loadouts"? That´s where the "Player-Kits-System" comes in. I made an attempt for a possible Implementation which is currently undergoing testing on our server. In general "Custom-Loadouts" are disabled now in this experiment. All you find in the ammo-box is ammo. Using the Scrollwheel you get access to 21 "Player-Kits" for each faction (5xEngineer/4xGunner/4xEngineer/3xMedic/3xRecon/2xSniper) with secondary weapons and with many russian weapons added currently missing in AAS. Really could use some Feedback about that in general. Nothing else to do than joining the server, go to an Amory and choose some Kits, maybe switching teams and doing the same again to look for balance would be great.

I also made screenshots from those loadouts:

Player-Kits Overview "West-Blue"

Player-Kits Overview "East-Red"

Edited by BCA Cat Toaster

I like new ideas, but seriously, the loadouts aren't gamebreaking for me. so what I can be west and use the dragunov. its not the weapon but the player that uses it that kills you.

the maps are so large, spawning into an area being attacked should not be discouraged, as long as there is random spawn instead of spawning in the same spot.

AAS is the best PvP game mode I've found so far, but i'm not close-minded to rule out challengers. ;)

are you fuckin kidding me? :eek:

I subscribe to the quality over quantity opinion :icon_bash:

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

A player kit system will be a very welcome addition.

What you call a problem is very Fundamental - in my eyes - for the AAS-Game-Mechanics.

The current system does work after a fashion, experienced players will understand that a spawn that is being camped is essentially lost and will then choose to spawn one back but you would not believe the number of players that don't seem to take that on board and continue to spawn at furthest forward and repeatedly get shot up for their troubles. Their own fault you might say but it also costs the experienced players who must counter-attack in diminished numbers where if everybody was forced to spawn behind the current objective they can then attack together in force. Actually on that subject, why run a respawn queue? Spawning in waves would be far better if only because it provides a greater opportunity for teamwork if people arrive together. Even for experienced players, getting shot up as you spawn is a not-much-fun way of finding out you've actually lost that objective and it's so easy to fix if teams spawn between, and not on, objectives.

-Ziggy-;1435387']I like new ideas' date=' but seriously, the loadouts aren't gamebreaking for me. so what I can be west and use the dragunov. its not the weapon but the player that uses it that kills you.

[/quote']

I totally agree. ;-) But, yet you can be we west, wearing a Dragunov AND a RPG7 or other weird loadouts. If there are classes already, they should make sense, don´t you think so?

If i play on "East" and hear an AK74 behind me, i want to be sure it´s one of my mates. If i hear a M4 and i´m not already dead i have at least a chance to react.

All these aspects together are covered by the yet not gamebreaking but new Kits compared to the "old" chaotic system.

The question is whether there is acceptance for this or not, while it makes no sense to built something in nobody wants, at least for the general public Ruleset of AAS.

A player kit system will be a very welcome addition.

Hi Defunkt. Would be nice if you can check out what we have now, maybe you say that´s the completely wrong direction. Whatever, i collect and ignore all feedback. :-) Just Kidding, it´s 7am in the morning here, i need some sleep....

Edited by BCA Cat Toaster
Added Reply for Defunkt

Way to go with a decent class system, less sniper and AT spam and weapons only

available to the right side (apart from weapon stealing from dead bodies).

Here is the thread to discuss the spawning in the defending zone:

Respawn system and protection

I am very much to disable the spawn for that zone. Of course the change

should be accompanied by a set of other changes.

• Repositiong of the zones to make way from flags roughly the same distance
  • Make it take more time to capture zones
  • Have both one zone to defend for both teams and the new var for both to fight only about the one very zone or two zone under attack
  • Probably reduce the spawning queue time a bit, especially for many players on a server

If nobody spawns at the camped area, then by the time you get back there (the enemy is already there to cap) it's lost. If you spawn at the camped area, there's actually a chance someone had killed the camper by the time you respawn or that you'll somehow get away form the spawn camping. Both are pretty lost causes, but spawning at the back definitely has a much greater chance of losing the zone. And then if you add spawn protection, everything is reversed and you simply can't cap a zone that is actually being defended.

Anyway, I don't like spawn camping being a part of the game, especially not as a "must-do-to-win" strategy. It takes away a lot of realism.