Sign in to follow this  
Goeth

Soundburst

Okay i´m finally going to post this bug which has been in ArmA II from the beginning because it seems to get worst by patches.

The bug is that engine drops off sounds and reduces rate of fire when you´re not seeing the unit that is firing. Example:

AI has 9 bullets in his pk machinegun belt, (why 9 bullets, that´s the amount of ammo i could adjust via ammo slider in the editor.)

Now put enemy soldier near the pk machinegunner, in range between 50-300m. Put yourself like 400m away from the shooter.

AI should shoot the enemy with 8 round burst which is defined in the config. Now look at the soldier when he fires the enemy and you can hear that rate of fire sounds the way it should be and 8 rounds going of and one single shot when empties the belt.

Now try the same thing but don´t look at the soldier, Now you hear maybe 6-8 rounds going of and the rate of fire sounds like it reduced to half what it should be.

I Tested this a bit more and the problem mentioned is happening on the latest official patch and not on beta patch in which this problem is even more horrible. In beta patch you can look directly the soldier that is firing, and engine plays the sample only 1 time while it should play it 8 times.

Bottom line, the soundBurst entry is broken or something related to bursts because these problems seems to happen only in weapons that shoot bursts that are meant for AI and are hidden from human players.

ps. This was a bit messy post, i hope someone understand what i was trying to say.

Edited by Goeth

Thanks for the post mate hope BI have solved this or are working on it for the next release :) (i really hope)

This has happened to me too! A T-72 has a stream tracers coming out of it but it sounded like single shots with 5 sec intervals...

I can confirm this, but it doesnt happen in the non-beta 1.03.

To illustrate this I made a test mission, and its quite obvious there is a bug introduced with the beta (only tested the latest (58930) and normal 1.03)

http://folkersma.org/gast/soundbug.utes.rar

Repro:

Start the mission and the machinegunner will shoot the rifleman. In the beta you will hear only one or two shots but you DO hear all the sonic cracks of his 8 round burst.

Now walk closer to the MG and press radio alpha 0-0-1 to spawn a new victim. Now you hear all shots.

Edit: This doesnt only apply to the MG soldiers, but to all burst weapons it seems.

Funny thing is, with this mission I found another bug. The MG takes ages to shoot the usmc rifleman when its spawned with createvehicle. When you click him with the right mousebutton, the mg will react allmost instant. (even when the player and the mg man are not in the same group)

Edited by rundll.exe

Yes something is definitely strange with the sound in the betas. I just made a simple firefight mission in the editor, in which 4 teams fight against 4. But most of the firing sounds, which are more than ~50m away, are missing. The machinegun sounds are, when they appear, just one or two shots. I tried 58814, 58879 and 58930.

Maybe it has something to do with the sound delay (speed of sound), which seams to be new in the betas. In 1.03 i hear the firing sound of a rifle in the same time as i see the flash, even if the shooter is 300m away.

Edit: Here it is: [58729] Fixed: Simulate speed of sound

Maybe there's a connection between this, because as soon as the speed of sound simulation should work, the distance of the sound to the player is big enaugh, the problems come and sounds get lost.

Edited by Ra!dar

Soundburst seems to be broken in 1.04 also:nono:

I dont have any issues with explosions or gunfire all work as they should.

I do get a 360 degree sound when a heli starts up but that is it.

v025

XP

Also with explosions. Im sure they are stuck for you as well. Test to use arty with the SOM module for example. Target on the map and then turn your head when the impact comes. You can also make radio triggers to trigger explosions. Thats what i did to test this properly. They stick to the ear they go off on everytime.

Also ARMA2's arc of sound is a bit messed up. Im working on that to show BIS. Hard to explain but if a rifle is shooting pretty close to you and you turn around you dont pinpoint the source as fast as you do in ArmA1. Imagine a circle. The shooter is north of that circle. When you turn your head the source sounds equally loud from north, north east and north west wich makes it hard to pinpoint. This is distance sensitive though. The further away - the easier to pinpoint. But i tested this with some soundmodders and they all agree that this is how it is.

Alex

Alex I dont know what else to tell you but that does not happen when I play (online only)

I only have the heli startup issue

I have played an SP mission to test this and if I have an explosion, MG, or rifleman to my front and I turn to the right the sounds stay where they should.

I can turn full circle and the sounds moves around relative to my heading.

I hear the sonic crack then the shot and there is a reasonable delay to sounds and visuals when distance is greater.

I am using soundmax driver software and I have stereo headphones.

guess I am saying the issues are there for a lot of players but not all...

Alex72 i also get it when i turn ingame the sound will follow that location. Will stay on the same spot in headphones. Its VERY confusing to try and pinpoint directions.

Is there a report at the CIT?

Yes Kju. I reported that particular problem here on the forums bug thread and the CIT with youtube video and explanation (if that was the problem you meant ofcourse?). I think i will redo it and make the video longer and add some voice over to explain it.

Im working on another sound bug report as well with images.

EDIT: You prolly meant Goeth's problem... Sorry about that. Will check it though and add it to CIT if i have the same problem.

Edited by Alex72

I dont know if this is related to soundburst, but in 1.04 the burst sounds are still "broken" as in engine keeps skipping shot sounds with MGs.

Its really easy bug to spot and reproduce. Yesterday I made a simple WW1esque human wave vs. MG nests scenario. All the AI nests were sounding like pop-pop-pop-pop-pop like they were firing single shot all the time. Sometimes sounds come out right (sped up) when you move closer to AI or even zoom on it.

I got Soundblaster X-Fi and Vista64bit, I have tested all kinds of sound settings in windows (EAX on/off, 5.1 vs. stereo etc) but to no avail.

EDIT:

It seems that the MG sounds are bugging mainly because of sound addon (Sounds of War). I have no idea what causes it. Is it some long samples which engine cuts or what but standard mg-nest sounds work ok and SOW sounds play just 1/3 of shots or so (sounds like single shots in a row).

Edited by sissi