Sign in to follow this  
randir14

Did the beta patch mess up object view distance?

If I remember correctly vehicles used to appear at 3000 meters. Now they're only appearing below 940 meters as you can see here (yes I have object detail on very high):

http://www.cubeupload.com/img/d412001.jpg

http://www.cubeupload.com/img/998e002.jpg

I've tested this with all different types of vehicles and it's the same. I don't know if it applies to only vehicles or every object, someone else can test that if they want to.

Just tested it, objects have a lower view distance than before :(

I'm glad it's not just me. This should be a high priority issue because enemy vehicles are engaging at close range when you cant even see them.

Yup this is an issue of gameplay as well as Frame-rate, becuase when ever a new object pops into view it lags my pc for a couple of seconds...

:( A-10's GAU-8 is not as fun anymore...

I used to be able to line up the aircraft and fire bursts from 2 km away :(

lol wtf that is terrible. Why did they change that?!

Nothing was changed from what I can tell. Vehicles max drawing distance was always

~2300-2500.

Oh so view distance is short?

Weird, I've never noticed. I thought those flying objects appearing out of nowhere and then dissapearing in the middle of the sky was ufos or something :rolleyes:

kju's VD tweak should be included as standard for all Arma2 players ! I get a consistent 3.1km sight of vehicles (one pixel!) at a VD of 6km. Works perfectly every time. Thanks again kju ... can't thankyou enough.

randir14 what setViewDistance value do you use?

no worries Kremator. Tomorrow finally the signed version.

I hope this is not BIS cheap trick of enhancing performance.

This cheap trick was used by ACES to improve performance in FSX with serice pack 2.

I noticed it as I wanted to try the mentioned new fire control feature on Tanks...well...at 900m you dont need fire control...another cheap trick?

This game is not getting better...instead its starting to annoy me.

Feature after feature is disappering, and known config errors are simply not correctet by BIS, but by user made addons.

This must be a big Joke.

Edited by Beagle

I hope this is not BIS cheap trick of enhancing performance.

This cheap trick was used by ACES to improve performance in FSX with serice pack 2.

I noticed it as I wanted to try the mentioned new fire control feature on Tanks...well...at 900m you dont need fire control...another cheap trick?

This game is not getting better...instead its starting to annoy me.

Feature after feature is disappering, and known config errors are simply not correctet by BIS, but by user made addons.

This must be a big Joke.

Uh, its a test beta patch. I wouldnt start shitting yourself just yet.

Confirmed. Even with Kju's addon - vehicles (not units it seems) and some other vehicles/objects are invisible at 350 meters.

Object Detail: NORMAL. They pop back at HIGH/VERY HIGH. Unfortunatelly i cant play on those settings.

Alex

Alex72 you mean 350m or 3500m ?

What view distanve value do you use?

randir14 what setViewDistance value do you use?

no worries Kremator. Tomorrow finally the signed version.

viewDistance=2014.9282; if I raise it higher the vehicles come into view but the pop-in is still closer than it was before. I can see trees and buildings at the max distance but not vehicles or people. For example in my first screenshots I used to be able to see units at the top of the hill, now they're disappearing at the end of the runway.

Edited by randir14

viewdistance is not viewable terrain distance is not object drawing distance

Alex72 you mean 350m or 3500m ?

What view distanve value do you use?

350 meters. Using 2500VD & Normal Obj.Detail.

However i got unsecure now if i had your addon running or not... I'll test it right away. Ofcourse we shouldnt need to use addons to see further than 350 meters. :)

Be right back with results.

EDIT: Version 58899. I cant see DSHKM's (just example i made for this test) even 300 meters away with HIGH/VHIGH object detail. With or without Kju's addon. When i zoom (right mouse i can see the 300m and 400m car, but not the 500m one. Bino's shows all. Exact same thing with and without Kju's addon.

EDIT2: Also forgot to say that it takes a long time for vehicles to load. I mean that when i use bino's it takes like 1,5 - 2 seconds until they load and show. So when i look quick and look around - i see nothing there. With and without Kju's addon. Units i see much further. Last test i saw them at 450 meters but cars standing 3, 4, 500 meters is not visible. And i have no performance lag that could be a reason for slow load. Utes with me and 3 empty cars.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Your install looks screwed or some other addon is causing it.

Do you get it even with vanilla?

It is vanilla ofcourse. Except for when im testing with your addon.

EDIT: And i finally got time to test all versions. Including the final. Its the same in all. Maybe its like this for everyone? Utes, using 100 marks to place out Cars with DSHKM's at 300, 400 & 500 meters. Cant see em on any object detail setting.

EDIT2: Tested some more. The cars pop out at 150 meters lol. 151 on highest object detail and with Kju's addon on Utes runway there is nothing there.

EDIT3: Seems to be only the OFFROAD vehicles & PICKUPS. Possible if there is more of those kinds of cars. Tanks, Light armor, air, units etc is visible very far. But then again heads is invisible to me on some units (insurgents) at distances and normal obj.detail. So i think there is something with those particular vehicles.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Well, its really messed up, but for me also on closer distance:

36ayx.jpg

When you zoom in, everything is ok, but when you have standard view you cant see wheels etc. and I am only 10 or 15 metres away from vehicle. :(

Thats really annoying...

OMG A UFO!

hahaha, that's pretty bad, Oh well..