R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

the 295 is basically two 260gtx's, in Sli. or two 275gtx's under clocked. So if its not running in Sli its a 260gtx~ which will be ok at 1680/1050 after that you get in the lowering of filters ect. This is in the Campaign being "ok", but your mileage may very.

Could you maybe give me a link or something to the SLI patch por something?

I do not honestly know how to get the SLI mode activated.

But as my question was statted earlier.

Shall I take Windows 7 64 bit or 32 bit?

I heard there was one guy here last night who said it will probably improve my performance alot.

I mean the thing is that I have 2 extra internal drives.

One SATA and one IDE.

The IDE drive is my old system drive from my old computer. COuld that be the case that I am from time to time getting driver crashes or is this only Vista? that is fucking aroud with me. I did regretybly change to Vista from XP. Becuase I must say I -HATE- Vista. And there were one guy who were very possitive to Windows 7 and that it might and probably will imrpove my performance. I will change to WIndows 7 the 21th of October since when I bought Vista I got a free license for Windows 7.

I am just worried it is my hardware that is not good enough for hte game.

About the SLI mode can someone link me drivers or tell me how to activate that?

When you say that it reminds me of the ATI X2 card.

So there is a possibility to get SLI between those two GPU units?

With my current resolution which is 1920x1080 It seems impossible to get over 50 fps in game.

I can lower the settings to normal to get like

45 but if I got up to high it is impssobie.

But I hope it is ebcuase of Windows Vista. I really do since I bought this gaming rig 2 weeks ago.

Edited by Tassadar

Apart from your specific GTX 295 issues you might observe - Windows 7 has a reworked WDDM core which in pratical tests seems to be a lot less of a bottleneck compared to Vista. I for one with my medium to low end video card observed an incredible performance boost here. And all I did was to do a clean install of Win 7 and the latest available ATI driver for the 4850 card. No tricks or tweaks.

32 or 64 bit: only reason I installed 32bit was because I was handed the 32bit OEM version for tests. I never intended to keep it long term (which I might now due to Arma :) ).

These days I would always vote for 64bit systems. That 3GB limitation is just not acceptable anymore with nowaday's hardware. Plus, driver and application development and testing for 64 bit systems only gets fuelled when the demand by customers is there. My 2 cents.

VictorFarbau

Yeah I have heard alot about Windows 7. I am anxious to see if it makes any difference to me.

I have also heard that there seems to be less problems with ATI then Nvidia's graphic cards with ArmA II.

I bought Vista so I will get a free license of Windows 7 which is feels quite good. So Let's hope it boosts my performance alot then since my hardware is way high end. I am putting in 2 SSD drives the coming weeks.

One thing I was wondering is if the SSD drives requires more power then the SATA and IDE drives does?

Just becuase I get black screen and driver crashes from time to time. But if I take out the other internal drives that somewhat dissapears.

Strange if you ask me but it might have a good reason I do not know.

So what is your FPS now compared to when you used Vista?

What does OEM mean?

My personal FPS comparison Vista - Win 7. It's not systematic (benchmarks), just based on my observations playing the same missions using the same video settings and testing my VFFPSS code.

Any forest, daylight, low shadows, medium texture quality, Full HD resolution (1920x1080):

Vista: 15-20 fps

Win 7: 28 - 40 fps

Plain open lanscape, no units, good weather

Vista: 35-45 fps

Win 7: 40 - 90 fps

As said, on my machine I can really feel the difference a lot. And OEM - consult Wikipedia :)

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

Edited by VictorFarbau

I hope I will see that difference as well. Would not be bad to be honest.

The black screen crashes are most likely due to a lack of power, or a lack of constant power. If you buy an expensive 700w power supply then it'll generally operate a lot better than a cheap 1200w power supply. This is because most cheap power supplies are measures on Maximum potential power, kindof. It means that all the rails together would add up to 1200w, but in reality it's around 800w at any one time split across all rails, and that's at an operating temp of around 35 deg C, any higher than that and you lose power.

Basically either buy a power box made for a server, or buy a good brand (Antec, etc) and spend a nice amount.

If this conitnue sI will do that.

How much do es Antec cost? Oh sorry now Im droping form the topic here.

Search google for upgrade guides, they should have some good recommendations of power supplies and prices.

its not so much the wattage, as its the amperage on a 12v rail. With a 295gtx think in the 38amp minimum per rail. I prefer a huge single rail in the 85a to 110a amperage.

This is the power supply I am using right now.

Plazir PL1000-135AE 1000W Sil

If that is not good enough tell me what I should do becuase the nvidia drivers crashes even sometimes when I am not playing any game as well but in Arma II it crashes more than 10 times in an hour.

its not so much the wattage, as its the amperage on a 12v rail. With a 295gtx think in the 38amp minimum per rail. I prefer a huge single rail in the 85a to 110a amperage.

Amperage in consumer ATX PSUs does not work like that. No, you do not need 38 amps per rail for a 295. Additionally, a PSU with a single rail running at 85-110 amps will end up providing less power than most multiple 12v rail PSUs.

Edited by zOMGREI

So what could possibly be the solution to my problem?

I mean 2 internal hard drives cannot take over 300 W in power. or can they?

EVen if they are active.

What I am thinking of if iti is a malfunction with the graphic card.

Or just some silly comapbillity issue with Windows Vista?`

It happens both when im not playing games and when I am palying games it happens alot more often.

Arma II has crashed over 30 times for me today. It makes me to tired to not be able to makeit run correctly.

Is my powersupply good enough?

So what could possibly be the solution to my problem?

I mean 2 internal hard drives cannot take over 300 W in power. or can they?

EVen if they are active.

What I am thinking of if iti is a malfunction with the graphic card.

Or just some silly comapbillity issue with Windows Vista?`

It happens both when im not playing games and when I am palying games it happens alot more often.

Arma II has crashed over 30 times for me today. It makes me to tired to not be able to makeit run correctly.

Is my powersupply good enough?

I will say that I'm not thinking it's your PSU personally. I'm running the following on an Antec 750W Earthwatts PSU:

EVGA X58

Core i7 920

6 GB DDR3 RAM

Zotac GTX 295

1 SATA DVD drive

3 SATA HDDs (two 7,200 RPM and one VelociRaptor)

and 5 120mm case fans, as well as a Coolermaster HyperN 520 (two 92mm fans) on the CPU.

Our PSUs aren't too different spec wise (excluding the wattage), I have 4 12v rails with 25 amps on each rail, you have 3 at 35. On paper, there should not be any issues, although you could have potentially gotten a lemon PSU that's not operating as it should. Our systems are virtually identical, excluding the manufacturer on our video card and the PSU (obviously), and I'm running two extra HDDs on top of everything else.

Edited by zOMGREI

So should I go back with the computer and take the money back and buy it from another store?

I am seriously thinking of that option.

So should I go back with the computer and take the money back and buy it from another store?

I am seriously thinking of that option.

I'm hesitant to say to return it, but I will say that if you do, get a refund and build a computer yourself. It is not that hard, and it will make troubleshooting a hell of a lot easier. I bought pre-built for almost a decade and always had problems with those PCs that I could never fix because I didn't know exactly what went into the PC and how they specifically put it together and pre-configured it(some vendors really cut corners). The other upside is that you'll probably end up with a total that's $300-750+ less than what you would have paid for a pre-build.

If it's happening outside of Arma 2 then returning your computer would probably be a good option. As mentioned, if you can do it yourself or know someone who is good with computers, then build your own computer. It's a little more hassle but pre-built computer companies tend to use cheap/2nd hand parts for their computers so your don't really know what you're getting.

I hope I can get an i7 processor and the 295 GTX card then:) for that amount of money and good enough ram:)

Yeah I will oook into this today since I tested Crysis last night

It gave me bluescreen

The only thing I am wondering of is if I will solve the problems I have now by building a new rig.

I am not sure but most of it points that way.

For instance it is impossible to run ArmA II stable for me I cannot even run it stable on normal/low.

And the people im playin with has nearly identical rigs and they do not have any problems not close to my problems at least.

Edited by Tassadar

Since you're getting crashes and Blue screens outside of Arma 2 then it's most likely either a faulty power supply, faulty motherboard, or another faulty component in your system, so returning it should get rid of that.

Yeah I just trioed to maximice the settings for ArmA II both in the graphics settings for the card and in the game it gave me black screen just a few minutes ago.

I am going to try to formate the hard drive and see what happens. If that does not work then I will reutn it.

This shit gives me headache

Nope this did not make any differene and this is the bluscreen messeage I get when I try playing ArmA II:

Problemsignatur:

Problemhändelsens namn: BlueScreen

OS-version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Språkvariant-ID: 1053

Ytterligare information om problemet:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA80084834E0

BCP2: FFFFFA60024E6140

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000002

OS Version: 6_0_6002

Service Pack: 2_0

Product: 768_1

Filer som hjälper till att beskriva problemet:

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini092409-01.dmp

C:\Windows\Temp\WER-47953-0.sysdata.xml

C:\Windows\Temp\WERBCB8.tmp.version.txt

Any idea what I could do about it?

I read somewhere that it might be the drivers that the issue is with I am currently using the latest drivers for my card.

Edited by Tassadar

So what is your CPU speed really at? And have you disabled HT in your Bios, and what is your ram set too? Sounds like your Computer isnt setup right?

Since you're getting crashes and Blue screens outside of Arma 2 then it's most likely either a faulty power supply, faulty motherboard, or another faulty component in your system, so returning it should get rid of that.

A RAM test is in order I think, also if overclocked maybe a little extra voltage on the NB to stabilise the system.

Unfortunately that BSOD error code (BCCode) isn't much help, it's basically telling you that something crashed and the display wasn't able to reset. That said, the display not resetting is a good indication of bugged video card drivers, so try updating your graphics drivers to see if that helps.

The original CPU speed ios 2.6 Ghz but have clocked it to 3.6 Ghz

My rtam is 1600 Mhz OCZ and i got 6 gig.

Sounds weird that it is the drivers since I actually made a whole formating of my harddrive today and I installed ArmA II with the cd and then for some reason the autoraun menu shos "install" as an option not "play" as it should. And If I click on it it says that ArmA II is alrleady installed.

Before I bought my orignial copy of the game I had a pirated version. But as I have formated the drive and reinstalled everything and I am using an original copy of the game it should not be that.

I have the latest drivers (190...) the latest drivers according to there website was released the 21th of August. That is the one I a now using. And I first reinstalled all the graphic drivers before I reinstalled with the latest ones.

What do you mean with NB?

I am sorry I am a bit of unfamilliar with BIOS terms:)

Liquidpinky Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldogs

A RAM test is in order I think, also if overclocked maybe a little extra voltage on the NB to stabilise the system.

Is there a RAM test on the itnernet I can cehck out?

If there is please link and I can see what it can do for me.

Yeah I just trioed to maximice the settings for ArmA II both in the graphics settings for the card and in the game it gave me black screen just a few minutes ago.

I am going to try to formate the hard drive and see what happens. If that does not work then I will reutn it.

This shit gives me headache

Nope this did not make any differene and this is the bluscreen messeage I get when I try playing ArmA II:

Problemsignatur:

Problemhändelsens namn: BlueScreen

OS-version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Språkvariant-ID: 1053

Ytterligare information om problemet:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA80084834E0

BCP2: FFFFFA60024E6140

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000002

OS Version: 6_0_6002

Service Pack: 2_0

Product: 768_1

Filer som hjälper till att beskriva problemet:

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini092409-01.dmp

C:\Windows\Temp\WER-47953-0.sysdata.xml

C:\Windows\Temp\WERBCB8.tmp.version.txt

Any idea what I could do about it?

I read somewhere that it might be the drivers that the issue is with I am currently using the latest drivers for my card.

At this point I would return it and just start from scratch, the time you're going to spend narrowing this down is likely better spent replacing it and building your own, so you know exactly what's going into the computer, what drivers you're installing, etc. It's entirely possible that if this is a hardware issue, it's because the vendor that built it cut costs by purchasing recertified components. Cyberpower/ibuypower here in the US did that to me and I ended up being out roughly $1000 since the video cards failed right outside the warranty window.

With that said, if this isn't a driver issue, I'm leaning towards a bad stick of RAM being the culprit. Another thing to check would be to make sure that your motherboard is detecting your RAM at the proper speed, mine was showing as DDR3 1066 until I manually set it to DDR3 1333.

Edited by zOMGREI