Sign in to follow this  
EMSI

A2B Editor

A2BEditor_by_EMSI.jpg

Description:

Smart SQF editor especially designed for creating briefings in the game ArmA2.

- Entering of parameters and texts is designed with forms

- Briefing code is displayed in a real time and it can be edited by hand

- Few useful additional functions

- Overview.html and Briefing.html generators

- many improvements and tweaks in source code

- extended included CHM Help file (It's indivisible and IMPORTANT PART of the A2B Editor !)

- Application doesn't need any version of .NET Framework

Installation:

Extract all files into any directory.

For example "C:\Program Files\A2B Editor".

Help:

Use key shortcut F1 in the running application, or menu Help -> Help Contents.

Launch:

Double click on the icon "A2B Editor.exe".

In case of any problems try to "Run as administrator" (see Help).

Author:

EMSI

Armaholic mirror Thx to Big

Armedassault.info mirror

OFPEC mirror

Personal mirror

Edited by EMSI
New version released !

Looks good :) You might want to consider submitted it over at OFPEC, as you're likely to get more technical feedback over there - and it can be made available on the site, as well :)

Is it there ... ;)

Thanks, that OCX files are packed due to some problems with running of app on some OS with any admin restrictions or on machines with "older OS".

Anyway if anyone has some problems don't hesitate to contact me via PM, Skype etc.

But I believe it will be worked fine - tested on more then 5 PCs with Win2000, XP SP2, Vista 64b.

From playing with this for a few seconds here's some usability comments:

1. setSimpleTaskDescription form issues:

Tab doesn't work as expected in the setSimpleTaskDescription form. You start in the Name of the task field, tab takes you to Description rather than the next right most Task Title field. Now, granted in the code Task Title is after Description, but that should be reflected in the dialog as well. If the next tab moved from Description to Task Title (then to Task WP description) it might make more sense, but instead it drops you all the way to Set. Assuming the others are optional you click Set and get told to fill in all the fields? Confusing at the very least.

I would also suggest to prefill the Name field with tskObj1 rather than simply leaving it blank and suggesting obj1. obj_1 was the default for ArmA and if we suggest that as objective names people might get confused when looking for more information. Also by enforcing the "tsk-" prefix we help train better coding through standards and get people comfortable with "task" vs "objective" differences between ArmA and ArmA 2. :)

2. createDiaryRecord issues:

The Add Marker, line break and picture buttons should be available from the createDiaryRecord form, perhaps as highlight + rclick option? They are used mostly in that form so should be available. Also when you use the buttons after finishing createDiaryRecord it just adds the line to the file, not where you wanted it. If you're totally clueless about briefings (as a user of this program is likely to be, otherwise you'd just hand code it) you wouldn't know where it's supposed to go. The effort of filling in the first form, then all the additional ones and manually moving the links/pics/whatever up to the proper spot is a bit more than just hand writing the whole thing from the start.

Also the default starting position of the fill in forms seems to indicate that those Add buttons would be available as they are visible and right next to the fields.

"Name of player" should default to "player". I might even suggest not even making that an option. When will it be anything but "player"?

3. Other comments

Tasks are displayed in reverse order in game from what they are listed in the briefing.sqf. Players might put in their main objectives first then get confused by the order displayed in game. Might build in an "Order" function or something?

I'd perhaps make the Set Task Description form a subpart of the Create Task form since you won't have one without the other. Also you seem to have hidden setSimpleTaskDestination under the "Records" menu item, not a button like everything else. Again, that should probably be an option on a comprehensive Design Task form or something I'd suggest.

Does this program also create the required breifing.html as well? That's required for pre-missing briefing.sqf to show up in the editor and in game too? Not sure, but it's part of the briefing.sqf system.

When saving it doesn't default to briefing.sqf as a default, but does show the demo file you created which might lead people to overwrite that. Indicating that people can name this file anything they want, which I they can granted, just adds confusion to an already confusing process. :)

Ability to handle multiple sides in a single briefing would be helpful as well. Or the ability to create setTaskState or even use Mikey's mf_taskhint function would be a nice addition.

Lastly there should be something mentioning that you need to execVM "briefing.sqf"; from the init.sqf file as well to get this to work.

Thanks, that OCX files are packed due to some problems with running of app on some OS with any admin restrictions or on machines with "older OS".

Anyway if anyone has some problems don't hesitate to contact me via PM, Skype etc.

But I believe it will be worked fine - tested on more then 5 PCs with Win2000, XP SP2, Vista 64b.

thanks emsi, but i´ve this problem with the OCX files. it doesn't work. I have vista 32b. Is this correctly ? :confused:

Problem with seven x64, missing dependancies.

please, post here the solution.

Ehm solution: 1280x800, color depth: 32 bit

you mean this? :)

@miller04 and tom_48_97:

This is step by step solution. I will add this into ReadMe for next version with few improvements:

1. If you are receiving error messages about missing files, be sure about presence of missing files in installation directory. Sometime only this will help.

2. If you are still receiving errors about an OCX files, registering the files may solve problem. To register an OCX file simply follow the steps below:

a) Locate the file in installation directory.

b) Right click on the file and then click "Open With..." from the menu.

c) Again click on the button "Open With..." on displayed Caution box.

d) On another dialog box select option "Select the program from a list" and then click on the "OK" button.

e) An "Open with" dialog box shoud appear. Click on the "Browse..." button and navigate to your Windows\system32 directory. Here select the file "regsvr32.exe". Click on the "Open" button and then click on "OK".

f) You should see a message indicating the file was successfully registered. If you see an error message again, try to restart your computer and repeat the process.

This solution was successful during testing. Please, let me know if it works for you guys :pray:

@kylania:

For the first I must analyze your novel ... :D

Thanks EMSI ;)

It´s running (at my place) with:

1. Right click on A2B Editor (.exe)

2. Run as administrator

perhaps it was my error

greets miller

well, on Seven64 (v7100), it works when you open the application file (.exe) with the administrator's right, no more action needed :)

You have to make an installer to register it into the application's register.

Edited by tom_48_97
I' had not seen the message of Miller before posting

1. setSimpleTaskDescription form issues:

Tab doesn't work as expected in the setSimpleTaskDescription form. You start in the Name of the task field, tab takes you to Description rather than the next right most Task Title field. Now, granted in the code Task Title is after Description, but that should be reflected in the dialog as well. If the next tab moved from Description to Task Title (then to Task WP description) it might make more sense, but instead it drops you all the way to Set.

Corrected
Assuming the others are optional you click Set and get told to fill in all the fields? Confusing at the very least.

Yes, it's highly recommended to have all fields filled.

I would also suggest to prefill the Name field with tskObj1 rather than simply leaving it blank and suggesting obj1. obj_1 was the default for ArmA and if we suggest that as objective names people might get confused when looking for more information. Also by enforcing the "tsk-" prefix we help train better coding through standards and get people comfortable with "task" vs "objective" differences between ArmA and ArmA 2.

obj1 or tsk1 = doesn't matter ;)

You may assign your task in A2 as for example "myHolyScrapySh***Task".

Anyway "obj" is here form OFP times and it's just only a "user selected variable" as is "tsk" too.

2. createDiaryRecord issues:

The Add Marker, line break and picture buttons should be available from the createDiaryRecord form, perhaps as highlight + rclick option? They are used mostly in that form so should be available. Also when you use the buttons after finishing createDiaryRecord it just adds the line to the file, not where you wanted it. If you're totally clueless about briefings (as a user of this program is likely to be, otherwise you'd just hand code it) you wouldn't know where it's supposed to go. The effort of filling in the first form, then all the additional ones and manually moving the links/pics/whatever up to the proper spot is a bit more than just hand writing the whole thing from the start.

Also the default starting position of the fill in forms seems to indicate that those Add buttons would be available as they are visible and right next to the fields.

Corrected
"Name of player" should default to "player". I might even suggest not even making that an option. When will it be anything but "player"?
You may set the name for the player as you wish.

For example I use always "aP" - it's my force of habit from old OFP times.

Anyway if you have in your mission few playable units with different tasks, how you want to then assign those tasks ?

3. Other comments

Tasks are displayed in reverse order in game from what they are listed in the briefing.sqf. Players might put in their main objectives first then get confused by the order displayed in game. Might build in an "Order" function or something?

Added info about that into Help - it's VERY IMPORTANT PART of Editor (it's something like another subform, but it looks like some users doesn't know how use it ;) )
I'd perhaps make the Set Task Description form a subpart of the Create Task form since you won't have one without the other. Also you seem to have hidden setSimpleTaskDestination under the "Records" menu item, not a button like everything else. Again, that should probably be an option on a comprehensive Design Task form or something I'd suggest.
Corrected - added button into main frame
Does this program also create the required breifing.html as well? That's required for pre-missing briefing.sqf to show up in the editor and in game too? Not sure, but it's part of the briefing.sqf system.
Now yes. Added generators for briefing.html and overview.html
When saving it doesn't default to briefing.sqf as a default, but does show the demo file you created which might lead people to overwrite that. Indicating that people can name this file anything they want, which I they can granted, just adds confusion to an already confusing process.
Standard feature of Win ? :D

If you for the first open an example file (or any other), you will see then the name of the last saved/opened file.

It's not a big problem, because users usually (I hope :) ) save our work into own mission directory.

Ability to handle multiple sides in a single briefing would be helpful as well. Or the ability to create setTaskState or even use Mikey's mf_taskhint function would be a nice addition.
Will be implemented and improved in next versions.
Lastly there should be something mentioning that you need to execVM "briefing.sqf"; from the init.sqf file as well to get this to work.
This is written in included HELP file from the first version.

Again: it looks like some users doesn't know how use it ;)

Anyway, many thanks for reporting ...

You have to make an installer to register it into the application's register.

I don't want to create any installer which change any values in users registers.

As you see, it's not necessary for 99%.

Solution for this problem with unregistered OCX files is now explained in created chapter in included CHM Help file.

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

A new version has been released !

See the first post: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1421385&postcount=1

Edited by EMSI

New version of A2B Editor has been released ... first post updated with v1.4

Changelog:

• - removed unnecessary functions from the main window: Add marker, Add line break, Add picture
    - added feature to minimize application into Taskbar
    - adapted and reorganized application menu
    - some tweaks in source code for check boxes and radio buttons
    - extended Help with description of new functions and features
    - added a basic template for the MP briefing
    - added function "setTaskState"
    - added function "removeSimpleTask"
    - added function "taskHint"
    - added function "taskState"
    - added function "currentTask"

Hi,

I have tried to extract the file but it does not simply work. Winrar says that there is a file missing, and no matter what I do, I cannot extract it.

I have been using the latest version and it works fine for me, BTW I run it on a 64bit PC

This program can't understand my Cyrillic symbols. Is there any way to fix it?