Sign in to follow this  
cadmium77

So I'm working on a Olifant tank for the Bush Wars mod..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2494/3846640341_84076d4d2d_b.jpg

How many polygons can I get up to...I'm around 3300 right now. The body won't be anywhere near as detailed as the turret ...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2579/3844237206_bc84131150_b.jpg

If anybody is doing a mod for the IDF back in the late sixties early seventies then I'll make this model available to you; it's the British Centurion modified by SA and Israel. The Israelis called it the Sho't Kal. Same thing with a few minor differences.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3434/3846674327_93e0f703f1_b.jpg

And I'm not strictly following those blueprint drawings since they are not correct even between the different views. I'm also going from photos...

That's cool, really. But I guess it's enough if you tell us this in one thread. :rolleyes:

That's cool, really. But I guess it's enough if you tell us this in one thread. :rolleyes:

Hunh? One thread on this board...How many people over here bother going over to Bush Wars?

Err, the turret itself has 5000 triangles right now, so where's the 3300 polies? When you say polies, you should mean triangles, because that's how games render polygons.

Just out of curiousity, can you right click the model, and then transform it into a mesh? I'm wondering what the poly count will be then.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, you can't have curved faces in o2. It looks like you're using nurbs?

Abs

I would say hes just using Mayas poly smooth preview. Cant be used in game, if you press 1 on your keyboard Cadmium you will see how it looks in game.

He may how ever be working on a high poly turret which will be baked down on to a low poly version, or plan on using mesh smooth how ever it would significantly raise the poly count

How many polygons can I get up to...I'm around 3300 right now.

So does anybody know the answer to his question? I'm not a modder so my answer may be wrong but I think you should keep the model between 15k-20k polies/triangles(don't know exactly which one).

has been answered before....it depends on the model, but 20k is a bit much. Around 12k, max 15k would do.

Also, as said before in one of the ArmA1 modeling discussions, Sections are more important that ploycount.

AFAIk, 20k is the max ArmA engine would support. It doesn't mean you should aim for that though. The fewer the better

@bogdanM, out of my own curiosity, where are you from? - it has nothing to do with the subject

32k!

It's all down to the power of 2, so 2^15 = 32768.

32k!

my bad then. Still 32k is.....well....

32k!

I'm intrigued, and for the purpose of education, i ask if you could please explain the basis of the maths here?