Sign in to follow this  
Wouser

Dogs of war: Units creation

After playing the dogs of war mission some questions came to mind, i hope someone can answer them for me and as reference for others who might struggle with this.

1: After creating a unit, its always in your team but when placed in another team ( 2, 3 .... 8 ) in high command what happens to that unit? does it get teleported to the other units of that team?

2: If you created, for instance, a tank it contains 3 crew man ( driver gunner and commander ) what happens if you place the driver in another team? are the other 2 ( gunner and commander ) placed to that team aswell?

3: If you combine tanks and infantry in one team will the tanks ride with the speed of infantry or take their own speed to a certain location? ( eventually making the infantry arrive later)

I hope someone can clear out some for me! Thanks in advance

How did you even create new units under a different team in high command? The keystroke to get into high command doesn't work for me on the mission - and if I create new units they just go on my team.

Worse, if any of the new units die - they seem to be consider part of "razor team" and the game is over... so I've been avoiding even creating units (though I'd very much like to).

1. It should just get placed under that group's command and not physically transported.

2. No, the vehicle commander is also the temporary group leader when inside vehicles.

3. They'll move at the leader's pace if able. A fast leader will leave his squad in the dust.

It should be a option under the "Communications" section. If you selected soldier #5 and went into the communications menu you should see "Tranfser Unit (5)" and then inside that menu you select where you transfer the unit.

I've never seen any options in that last menu, it's always blank.

I can transfer units off to other commanders, but never take control of those teams -- is there a way to grab control of other units so that you can control them under high command?

Another question that came to mind, lets call it 4:

4: You got yourself a platoon of infantry guys in a town, you build some defensive structes ( think of nests and other turrents ) will they use them automaticly or how are you able to make them use the defensive structures?

Try giving them a GETIN type waypoint near the static defensese?

Another question that came to mind, lets call it 4:

4: You got yourself a platoon of infantry guys in a town, you build some defensive structes ( think of nests and other turrents ) will they use them automaticly or how are you able to make them use the defensive structures?

good question. I can give my unit orders to man the defenses but how do you give orders to other units to man them.

How do you see who's on other units?

Is there some sort of way I can tell, without actually seeing them, which elements are in a unit?

Ask for a SITREP.

I'm talking about HC teams....

How do you know the composition of the other teams?

Ok i've read quite a bit, this thread and others. It has become clear that in Badlands and Dogs of War there is no way to buy units then create a new high command team from them. You can only give them to existing high command teams.

So playing Dogs of War as a recon team is not viable, The AI takes a town then leaves often without setting up any defense and you are maxed out at one 12 man squad, so you cant possibly leave effective garrisons in enough towns to make much of a difference.

Furthermore static defenses come unmanned, so you have to give up more of your squad to make use of them. Since they cant be put into a new high command group, you have to be extra careful in giving orders to your attack team (I am of course assuming you assign garrisons color coding), one wrong slip in the command interface, and your garrisons or, god forbid, your manned static defenses will be given orders meant for your attack team, and now your garrisons are traveling 1000 m to join up with your attack team. Truly horrific.

Now I underlined that specific part on the off chance that someone finds a way. I've read maybe around 20-30 posts asking that same question (on BIS' and other forums) but I remain optimistic.

make your own missions. Its more fun. The editor is where Arma 2 shines. I gave up on the single player campaign ages ago. After it started crashing.

make your own missions. Its more fun. The editor is where Arma 2 shines. I gave up on the single player campaign ages ago. After it started crashing.

Ya I know, i've made 4 so far. All pretty simple action-packed squad based and emphasizing infantry combat. And with the randomness options and the AI's general unpredictability they are replayable. But in ARMA 2 the campaign is actually interesting story and character wise (despite the inconsistent voice-acting), with Manhattan being the high point (brilliant when the scripting works). Then came the dreaded Warfare based missions, complete FUBAR. Its a shame they worked hard to deliver a complex and broken game mode rather than keep the campaign going in the interesting recce squad sandbox direction that Manhattan delivered.

Ask for a SITREP, seriously.

Explain me like I was a 6 year older....

The 5-5 option doesn't work, because in High Command mode the 5 menu is empty (yes, I have units selected)!

Roger that, JackandBlood! I'm taking a couple more stabs at DoW, then it's to bleep with it. All this command stuff is too tiring; more like work than gaming (not very much fun--especially given all the bugs and frustration of dealing with them). :cryy:

The thing that pisses me off the most is not all the bugs in the DOW mission etc (I was able to play the earlier missions reasonable well), it's really the total lack of any form of response from the developers BI to the many issues and frustrations reported.

Not even a word on their "News" web page. But I'm not surprised. Nothing to brag about here.

This could have been a great game that may even have grown into an award winner, but judging from reading the various forums, they have pissed of so many customers that as word gets around they may just find sales drying up.

This is the first BI game I have purchased and so I say to BI, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me".

I won't be spending any more of $$$ on anything with a BI label on it. After all there are plenty of games available that actually work as they should, have a User Manual that is actually useful, and developers that read and acknowledge the issues posted on their forums.

BI's lack of any form of response is a slap in the face to all that have supported them by buying their games.

Version 1.03 release was almost one month ago and there has been pleanty of time for them to have released hot fixes for at least some of the problems identified by the many "Beta Testers". That's what we all are after all. You couldn't call the current state of this game anything but a Beta Release.

Sorry for raving on about this but as you may have detected. I'M REALLY PISSED OFF.

I just finished the campaign and I have to say, it's really an insult that it was even made part of a commercial product.

On a technical level, it's almost unplayable - I had to use -endmission at least 4 times because some missions never ended, no matter what I did. Then the warfare missions are total crap - I couldn't even buy units or weapons, even though I had plenty of money. Whenever I tried buying anything, the dialog just came up and all I ever saw was "Receiving data".

Friendly AI soldiers are so weak and dumb that I actually left them at lest 500-1000 m-s behind so that they couldn't engage enemy soldiers, because when they did, they always died - no exceptions. And this is with 1.03. I was actually safer without them, which is ridiculous.

Did anyone at BI even tried to play these just once?

I also hate the characters, every single one of them and was wishing for them to die during most of the campaign. There were one or two nice parts (shooting the sniper in the city mission was ok), but the rest were just amateur trash. Most mission makers make better missions on their first try.

Explain me like I was a 6 year older....

The 5-5 option doesn't work, because in High Command mode the 5 menu is empty (yes, I have units selected)!

No, no. There's a menu option called "SITREP". Hit 0-1-1. You will see SITREP option. If you select an HC team and do this it will show you the HC team composition.