Sign in to follow this  
randir14

Found out how to turn Vsync off on ATI cards

First you'll need ATI Tray Tools, the version I use is 1.6.9.1391 but I don't know if a newer one is out. Once it's installed right-click the taskbar icon and go to Game Profiles > Manage Profiles. Name it ArmA 2 or whatever you want, in the executable box go to your install directory and choose arma2.exe. Now click the Direct3D Tweaks tab and where it says "Force VSync (Vista workaround) choose "off". Now save the profile and when you want to launch the game do it from ATI Tray Tools' game profile manager. Vsync should now be forced off, I know it works in single player and the editor but I haven't tested multiplayer yet to see if it gets rid of the 30 fps limit some people have (including me).

Edited by randir14

I mentioned this method to several ATI users and they said that I didn't know what I was talking about, so I just figured that ATI tray tools must no longer have this.

Yes this works for disabling Vsync. It is however not a perfect solution. E.g. if you change video options (for example AA settings), Vsync will be turned on again. Also some report about unusual performance dips when they use this method, although I never noticed anything serious.

Hopefully 1.04 patch will just enable Vsync settings ingame.

i don't get it! i have vsync disabled in ccc and when i play black shark my fps is between 70-140fps without using any third party software! but when i play arma2 it is capped at 60 which it's my monitor refresh rate!!!

There is a simple explaination for this.

The CCC doesnt have any Vista/7 "workaround". For example, if you disable Vsync in CCC in Windows XP, ArmA2 will also have youre fps above 60.

But Vista and Win7 requires a special "hack" to force Vsync off. Nvidia has this built in with their drivers meaning you can disable Vsync by forcing off within their drivers.

But the CCC in Vista or Win7 cannot disable Vsync. This is where ATT comes into play. It uses the Vista workaround/hack to force Vsync settings. This is why, in ArmA2, you need ATT to force Vsync OFF.

Danny;1407866']There is a simple explaination for this.

The CCC doesnt have any Vista/7 "workaround". For example' date=' if you disable Vsync in CCC in Windows XP, ArmA2 will also have youre fps above 60.

But Vista and Win7 requires a special "hack" to force Vsync off. Nvidia has this built in with their drivers meaning you can disable Vsync by forcing off within their drivers.

But the CCC in Vista or Win7 cannot disable Vsync. This is where ATT comes into play. It uses the Vista workaround/hack to force Vsync settings. This is why, in ArmA2, you need ATT to force Vsync OFF.[/quote']

i'm running both games on 7, vsync off in ccc worked for black shark but not for arma2?

Yes but black shark has vsync off to begin with doesnt it? For example, if you set CCC to "Off, Unless application decides" do you get vsync or not?

Another point to point out is that 60Hz refresh rate isn't equal to 60fps. With V-sync on the cap of 60Hz is around 30fps.

Yes, i understand, but do as i say. Set CCC to "Off, unless application specifies".

If you STILL dont have vsync in blachshark, then its because blackshark does not force vsync on.

ArmA2 force Vsync ON, this is the diffrence.

No Bulldogs, the cap for vsync on 60Hz is at exactly 60fps. But for example, if you cannot get 60fps (e.g. your system can only get 55fps), then because if vsync it will go down all the way to 30 (exactly 50% of your refreshrate). There are many on this forum that dont understand how vsync works, and I suggest you read this guide as it explains it well for those not really into technology:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html

Edited by [TwK]Danny

yeah, sorry, didn't want to explain it in too much detail.. trying not to confuse everyone.

Danny;1407921']Yes' date=' i understand, but do as i say. Set CCC to "Off, unless application specifies".

If you STILL dont have vsync in blachshark, then its because blackshark does not force vsync on.

ArmA2 force Vsync ON, this is the diffrence.

No Bulldogs, the cap for vsync on 60Hz is at exactly 60fps. But for example, if you cannot get 60fps (e.g. your system can only get 55fps), then because if vsync it will go down all the way to 30 (exactly 50% of your refreshrate). There are many on this forum that dont understand how vsync works, and I suggest you read this guide as it explains it well for those not really into technology:

[url']http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html[/url]

i don't need vsync on so i always put it on off, i don't use "off, unless application specifies" option because that may turn vsync on if application specifies.

When i switch vsync off in ccc, blackshark gives me excellent performance, above my refresh rate. In ama2 i doesn't work. so the issue here is arma2, or maybe the card/driver is recognizing black shark engine, have no clue.

InFireBaptize read his posts again carefully, you're not getting his point. He is probably right though.

I believe it does. Under NVidia, forcing V-Sync off actually prevents any program from using it. Under ATi tray tools, forcing v-sync off forces it off unless a program overrides it, which in Arma's case seems to happen (may be wrong)

You could try triple buffering (not sure if Arma 2 supports it, but if you put it on and it's still 30fps then it's not likely) or you could try increasing your monitor's refresh rate to 75 (if it's on 75 and you're getting 30fps then it's not likely to be V-Sync as you should be getting 37.5ish, although fraps can sometimes give the wrong readings)

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Although it may not even be V-Sync related. Try changing video settings to the extreme and check your fps against what your eye tells you.

I use an NVidia card but as of 1.03 this is what I get :

Settings - Low/Very Low

Exceptionally smooth gameplay

Fraps and Precision report 22 fps

Settings - High/Very high

Very slow gameplay, barely playable

Fraps and Precision report 20 fps

I should note that these same settings under 1.02 gave me :

50 fps for low/very low

10 fps for high/very high

Forcing Vsync off in ATI Control panel does not work, FPS still at 60. I've downloaded ATI Tray Tools 1.6beta, setup a profile for Arma II, in Direct3D Tweaks forced Vsync off (setting - Vista Workaround). Launch Arma II w/ the above setting via the Tray tool, FPS at 130. ;]

Thanks! that improved my performance...now the problem is that I don't know how to run all the mods i had put in my previous arma2 shortcut since it seems that they don't work with the shortcut activated through ATT!!

some solution?:confused:

that make GPU fan noise leveling up too :)

i prefer recommend to force tripple buffer and enable vsync.

we are still not sure if BI devs have enabled tripple buffering ...

Thanks! that improved my performance...now the problem is that I don't know how to run all the mods i had put in my previous arma2 shortcut since it seems that they don't work with the shortcut activated through ATT!!

some solution?:confused:

Create your ATT profile like this:

att_profile1ykfv.jpg

is there a way to change the "start in" folder when launching with ATT? how do i start the beta patch with ATT?

you can clearly tell that ARMA 2 not uses classic dual buffering otherwise you would get

fps drops in jumps refresh/1 , refresh/2 , refresh/3 , refresh/4 , refresh/5 etc. as the fps change

(so 59fps on 60Hz monitor would result into 30 which with ARMA 2 is not and stays at 59)