Sign in to follow this  
thierry007

all AI = snipers?

A lot of the difficulty in ARMA2 comes from the more realistic wounding and damage system where 1 shot can put the player down. That and the fact that the AI can be extremely accurate at very far distances. Never did I feel that the AI had killed me because of something clever that they did. I can sit in one spot and mow down tons of enemy infantry that will run around randomly or lay prone in the open and then have a burst from a enemy rifleman kill me from 500 meters away as I sprint.

The other games you may consider to be "Rambo" due to a more forgiving health and damage system and probably lower accuracy but if the first scoring shot from the enemy could critically wound or kill the player then a more tactical approach would be needed to succeed.

I've had the Ai do some sneaky sh*t while currently playing in Arma2 with Avgani map. Thats good for interesting CQB, and more than a few times the enemy is stalking out my squad and using corners to pick us off. Is there room for improved cohesiveness in terms of how fireteams advance? You betcha! But still a big improvement over Arma1's lay down anywhere and don't use corners AI.

In terms of overall AI, yep the driving sucks big time but how many of those games you mention can coordinate the amount of tasks the AI is asked to do in Warfare or CTI's? Driving trucks, flying planes,riding tanks, advancing hundreds of units in a huge area? Again, this seems to come up all the time here , but the scale is a HUGE factor in the amount the AI have to process.

The simple fact that my "clear the way" mission turned form impossible to possible when turning off the grass shows how lame the AI can be.

Muzzle smoke is overdone (IRL rifle muzzle smoke is not easy to see even from 5 meters, at least not as easy as in Arma 2). The simulation of AI detecting the muzzle smoke and hearing your shot location is also extremely overdone.

The main problem with the AI is that it either knows where you are, knows a "last seen" position of where you were, or doesn't know anything. There is no "he's somewhere in that area" state for the AI, which is one of its biggest flaws.

Even at 200m you're probably not going to notice any muzzle smoke. If you try hard enough you'll spot flashes at night, though, again not as big as in Arma 2.

So what if AI has x-ray vision or can hear you from miles? AI are still in disadvantage, because player has one big advantage, his brain :p

There is difference between 200m and 450m

There is a difference between an urban evironment with limited numbers of windows in the LOS of the M203 and its pop sound and a sniper in a field.

There is difference between an M205 and sniper firing from a rifle with a smoke and flash supressor and I would presume high quality 'smokeless' rounds.

They are not using black powder anymore! Don't tell me you learned that from ArmA2...

They are not using black powder anymore! Don't tell me you learned that from ArmA2...

Hi all

Second I already pointed that out:

...In ArmA as in reality the biggest concealment buster is smoke and while modern weapons use so called smokeless rounds they still do produce a quantity of smoke it is just not the giant cloud of smoke the old black powder flint locks did that covered the battlefield like a fog...
My later use of bold in the quoted post: walker

You should also have read further in the post you quoted

...And as you can see in this video the M203 produces smoke just the same as any other explosive fired projectile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=921to4z8RAE&feature=related

In fact smoke is often caused by residues left in the barrel from previous firing or indeed from inexpert cleaning...

Even modern rounds foul the barrel and that or a layer of oil left in a barrel after incompetent cleaning is big smoke signal.

Here is video of assault rifles being fired note the smoke:

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker

Here is video of assault rifles being fired note the smoke:

Kind regards walker

Was this your point?

Is that they way you fire in ArmA2?

Here's bit, with bit better ROF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux3x7ZxOi7s&feature=related

One needs to to quite an sniper-eye to spot that from several hundreds of meters. To be honest i don't remember that i would have ever in daylight spotted opponents from muzzle-flashes or smoke during exercises with blank adapters, which caused wicked muzzle flash.

Cartridge's smoking powder still was issue around ww2 for some nations.

Edited by Second

The last game of ARMA2 I played (Tuesday) whilst attacking some town or other we were spotted by the enemy and they called in reinforcements. It all sounds ace but the reality was far from it.

I'm not great at this game by any means, I'm far better at other games but I get little satisfaction from playing against the AI in Arma. The reinforcements streamed out of the town in a line, I counted 6 of them that got caught in trees and just continued to try to run (animation going like the clappers but the body not going anywhere). The remaining ones that made it past the killer tree traps decided that the best place for them to be was to simply lie down in a field, I more or less gave up when I saw 2 facing each other some 5 meters apart.

20-30 of them were killed with no more then 2 losses on our side.

Its that aspect of it that I find so frustrating, more so when I read other people go on about how great it is. I guess its great if your not that good at FPS games and don't want to be up against an opp that can think round your attack. being good vs AI means nothing tbh, I reckon my cat could do it.

Thankfully at last our new server is about to be built and we can start to host some berzerk stuff, I'd so much prefer to fight a human brain than a bot.

Would be nice to see some of you chaps on the thing when its up.

Edited by {SAS}Stalker

The last game of ARMA2 I played (Tuesday) whilst attacking some town or other we were spotted by the enemy and they called in reinforcements. It all sounds ace but the reality was far from it.

I'm not great at this game by any means, I'm far better at other games but I get little satisfaction from playing against the AI in Arma. The reinforcements streamed out of the town in a line, I counted 6 of them that got caught in trees and just continued to try to run (animation going like the clappers but the body not going anywhere). The remaining ones that made it past the killer tree traps decided that the best place for them to be was to simply lie down in a field, I more or less gave up when I saw 2 facing each other some 5 meters apart.

20-30 of them were killed with no more then 2 losses on our side.

Its that aspect of it that I find so frustrating, more so when I read other people go on about how great it is. I guess its great if your not that good at FPS games and don't want to be up against an opp that can think round your attack. being good vs AI means nothing tbh, I reckon my cat could do it.

Thankfully at last our new server is about to be built and we can start to host some berzerk stuff, I'd so much prefer to fight a human brain than a bot.

Would be nice to see some of you chaps on the thing when its up.

If you want the AI to act like human players you need to do more complex missions than just place a Move waypoint in the middle of the town and expect them to act like real soldiers. At least ARMA gives you the possibility to just trow some units on the map and get a decent firefight.

Of course you get a better gaming experience playing against human players than AI, thats common sense. But you can't blame the ARMA AI for not acting as smart as a human player.

I still think that ARMA2 AI is the smartest non-scripted AI available for 50$.

Hi all

The Guard waypoint coupled with GuardedBySide triggers placed placed at the target locations is the great secret of ArmA mission making.

Kind Regards walker

Also if you put Ai in Stealth mode i think, AI actually covers each other when they move.