Sign in to follow this  
bangtail

Post your negative 1.03 AI experiences here

I realise that getting the AI right is going to take some time and this is purely meant to compile some of the more noticeable problems with the AI as of 1.03.

There were definitely problems with the AI before 1.03 but as of now. A mission I had designed that was actually quite difficult is a breeze because the enemy AI are acting oblivious to our activity.

Here's an example (I actually changed the time of day to make sure I was right. The mission was originally a night mission but I switched it to mid day so as there could be no doubt the APC could see me.

I was running up a crest and as I reached the top, I came face to face with an APC (about 40 yards away). I expected it to react but it didn't. I went prone and backed off. I crawled up to the crest, nothing.

I continued backing up and then moving back into it's LOS and still nothing. I stood up in plain sight and fired into the air, nothing. I emptied 2 magazines into it and still it refused to acknowledge my existence.

Finally I ran right up to it, placed two satchels and ran away giving it PLENTY of time to acquire and kill me.

NOTHING, so I blew it up.

I did the same thing in 1.02 on another box.

During the day, it acquired me as soon as I stood up and even though I managed to get prone before it could bring it's turret to bear, it fired a few grenades in my general direction which wounded me. When an AI teammate attempted to get me up, it fired more grenades killing him, and me as well.

At night, I managed to crawl fairly close to it but I actually heard the AI communicating that it had seen me. I planted a satchel and then tried to crawl away but because of the incline, he managed to clip me with a grenade.

I don't know what happened in 1.03 but some of the AI is as dumb as a bag of spanners.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

One thing I notice is that the AI stares at me for a few seconds before opening fire when it spots me. This is actually pretty good as it gives me time to kill them first and it kind of seems like they are trying to figure out if I'm hostile or not (which makes them not very well trained.. or maybe they just need glasses)

One thing I notice is that the AI stares at me for a few seconds before opening fire when it spots me. This is actually pretty good as it gives me time to kill them first and it kind of seems like they are trying to figure out if I'm hostile or not (which makes them not very well trained.. or maybe they just need glasses)

I've seen some cool stuff as well but the vehicle AI seems borked as of 1.03.

I agree that this hip shooting with 100% accuracy a la Raven Shield can be very frustrating and that aspect does seem to be improved. Another little touch I noticed that has been around since launch but has steadily improved is panic fire. I had a pilot spraying wildly into the night with his MP5 last night.

Impressive :)

Eth

The sound system breaks when there is a lot going on, or i am stood next to another coop player who fires. Only happened in 1.02 when there was about 100 units in a big battle, ans even then it was only the helo sounds that were distorted.

Also the convoy driving is shit. AI convoys were much better in arma1 and even OFP. WTF are the devs on these days? Crystal meth? Certain bits of the AI seem to be going backwards.

Cheers

GC

Tyres flying up in the air after destroying a nearby truck, they look like something from Stargate as they keep going up and disappearing. Plus, if you jump on them you too get lift up into the air, nice new feature. Not going to talk about the lack of a fix to the graphical corruption here.

I didn't test patch so much, but I still pissed about Dogs of War mission performance. It's badly projected and crafted. I'm worried if someone at BiS can play this scenario in 30 fps all the time in mid-end hardware. It seems that person who created DoW put every single script and module in it and didn't care if it will run smoothly. Damn! I've seen more complex missions in ArmA 1 and I could play it without big issues with good fps.

I didn't test patch so much, but I still pissed about Dogs of War mission performance. It's badly projected and crafted. I'm worried if someone at BiS can play this scenario in 30 fps all the time in mid-end hardware. It seems that person who created DoW put every single script and module in it and didn't care if it will run smoothly. Damn! I've seen more complex missions in ArmA 1 and I could play it without big issues with good fps.

One thing I find worrying is that the patch seems to have broken more than it has fixed.

I'm just playing now and the screen went white for 5 seconds. This happened several times and reminds me of the SLI bug in A1 when the screen would flash in some situations (something to do with HDR I believe). I haven't seen this at all in A2 - until 1.03.

Eth

Tyres flying up in the air after destroying a nearby truck, they look like something from Stargate as they keep going up and disappearing. Plus, if you jump on them you too get lift up into the air, nice new feature. Not going to talk about the lack of a fix to the graphical corruption here.

Man, and NASA has been wasting all that money on Rockets.... I'm so trying this

playing on expert + super AI:

I put a BMP3 on and aligned with the air strip. I then situated my character dead a head of it maybe 100m away. When I entered the game I went prone and approached it.

I was about 35m away from the BMP3 when it decided to turn on its engines and shoot me. It really should have shot me as soon as I spawned.

In the very first mission in Red Harvest the enemy was about 30m away and ran towards my team and then ran past us without firing a bullet.Then I shot them in the back as they ran away.

I played for 5 hours last night on patch 103 and more than doubled my kill rate than playing 5 hours on patch 102. Hopefully all the servers will revert back to 102 and 103 will fade away. I can handle the graphical annomolies but unfortunately the watered down AI has just killed the game for me.

AI seems to 'switch' on and off for me

For example, I drove into an enemy village, got immediately attacked by dozens of infantry, saw men flanking left and right, taking cover, as it should be:yay:

Then I died, drove back to the village, this time the AI failed to detect me at all, even when I was in front of them shooting a m/gun! They just sat there, some turning slowly through 360 to look for targets. Not fun :butbut:

then I respawned, went back a 3rd time, and all hell broke loose again... as if the AI had re-activated or something....:confused:

Still having a blast though :)

AI seems to 'switch' on and off for me

For example, I drove into an enemy village, got immediately attacked by dozens of infantry, saw men flanking left and right, taking cover, as it should be:yay:

Then I died, drove back to the village, this time the AI failed to detect me at all, even when I was in front of them shooting a m/gun! They just sat there, some turning slowly through 360 to look for targets. Not fun :butbut:

then I respawned, went back a 3rd time, and all hell broke loose again... as if the AI had re-activated or something....:confused:

Still having a blast though :)

Someone must have brought them donuts and coffee between respawn 2 and 3.

heh - to be fair this has only happened once in 2+ hours of playing, so maybe it was just a glitch in the mission itself.

Well, after a few games (5+ hours now), I can safely say that I am very unhappy with the AI.

The friendly AI is still pretty useless but now we have the added attraction of useless vehicle AI that don't shoot you even if you empty a magazine into them (I can't replicate this every time, every now and then they do break from there mah-jong game to fire a few rounds in my general direction).

The enemy infantry AI is also fairly bad unless they are at the maximum AI level. Anything much below that and they act like confused girl scouts :(

Oh well :)

/waits for hotfix

Eth

yeah the ai is terrible. i snipe in ghillie suit from over 500 yards or more away and the ai instantly know where im at when im not even moving.

yeah the ai is terrible. i snipe in ghillie suit from over 500 yards or more away and the ai instantly know where im at when im not even moving.

The ghillie suits don't really provide any stealth benefits.

Generally I find the Ai at close range un-reactive. I notice them scanning for me but they should really have peripheral vision and shouldn't have to scan when I am 50m away and uncovered.