Sign in to follow this  
jasooon

pilot headmounted gunsight ?

Hi

Is there a helicopter in Arma 2 that allows the pilot to control the gun sight with his head movement.

i.e. wherever I look, the machine gunsight will follow the centre of my vision, instead of remaining fixed dead ahead.

I think I saw a video clip on youtube showing a pilot firing the machine gun off out of his left window at troops on the ground.

Anyone advise me which helis I can do this in ?

Many thanks

Jasooon

Only way i have been able to get this to work is having your track ir control the mouse movements instead. Feels a bit sluggish though.

Only way i have been able to get this to work is having your track ir control the mouse movements instead. Feels a bit sluggish though.

Yeah, It'd be cool if you could do that with the mouse when pushing "ALT". It'd make sense too, cos you're "directing" where your Char looks.

Possible to patch or mod?

if you are the gunner in a mi24D/V or in a cobra and you have the gun active, you can do this by using the mouse

if you are the gunner in a mi24D/V or in a cobra and you have the gun active, you can do this by using the mouse

Yeah, but then you in the hands of an AI pilot.:j: I think I might prefer flying air france....

Yeah, but then you in the hands of an AI pilot.:j: I think I might prefer flying air france....

Not if you're online. There are plenty of people who are looking for gunners online; myself included.

Except that unfortunately in most online missions you're better off having each person take a vehicle on his own. Each vehicle will operate at less than full efficiency, but it's still going to be stronger than having no more than 1/2 the number of vehicles. Often it's even better to have 1 infantryman + vehicle with 1 crewman than having a vehicle with 2 crewmen. That's mostly a mission design issue and somewhat a simulation issue on some vehicles. For exmample they should force you to hop out of a tank/IFV (making yourself vulnerable, like you would IRL) in order to move from driver's seat to commander's/gunner's/loader's seat. Other vehicles (like most jeeps with mounted weapons) could use more realistic transition times between gunner and driver.

I disagree. In the past 8 years I've been playing BIS games, the air crews that have both a pilot and a gunner working as a team are 10 times more effective than several helicopters that don't have gunners. This is really kind of a canned response around here, but you should look at getting hooked up with a group.

Please explain to me how some more cannon accuracy is better than 8 guided AT missiles (and 30 more hydras), especially with the easiness of tab-target-kill. Sure having a gunner is great help, but having another helicopter is better.

When was the last time you saw more than 8 AFVs in close vicinity? The cannon works just fine for soft targets, so you just save your hellfires for Heavy and Medium AFVs and your FFARs for light AFVs such as BTRs. Once you've expended your ammo you turn around and head back to base, a process that on the small maps in ArmA and ArmA 2 only takes about 5 minutes at most.

When was the last time you needed more than 8 hellfires in a PvP match? And remember I was talking about situations when you have a choice - 2 helicopters with 1 pilot in each, VS 1 helicopter with both a gunner and a pilot. Obviously this isn't applicible to all missions, but it seems it is at least partially applicable to any PvP mission with helicopters (or at least helicopter+tanks).

In PvP you get killed long before you have a chance to use all your ammunition, unless the map is completely imbalanced. Nobody in his right mind places helicopter in a PvP map without giving the enemy effective tools of shooting you down, and in PvP you can be sure he's going to use them. So no I don't see how having better use of the cannon unless it's a coop mission that is intentionally designed in a way that forces you to use it.

Remember, this is all in-game-wise, not RL. I too wish the game would make you want to play in a more realistic fashion, but that would require a combination of game changes and mission design changes.

Sorry to bring up this old chestnut, but is there a way to aim the cannon in a helicopter with trackIR yet? Real Apaches do this exact thing - surely Arma2 can right?

Apaches, cobras, pretty much anything. I'm not sure about the apache because it has an actual tv aimed at the eyeball, but the helmet mounted sight subsystem in the cobra I think was used for acquisition and cueing more than actual aiming. Same with the one in the Ka-50.