Sign in to follow this  
Texas

What i hate the most in ofp?

I hate the houses. In Delta Force 3 implementation of houses was so much better. I'm not saying that DF3 is a better game though. OFP is coded nicely but the code for the inclosed spaces sux. The development team didn't make "houses" their priority, so that feature sux. Since I switched from DF3 to OFP, it is very hard for me to picture the fight without the houses. You all know the bugs of indoors (you can call them horror houses where you can go through the wall and etc). What's up with that?

Putting anger aside, the game is superb!

iv noticed that only some houses have this glitch, but as a veteran delta force 3 sniper, i know exactly what you mean. More care should have been taken in making buildings more player friendly. I was suprised that you cant even get up in the towers of most churches. And the ones you can get up in arent even facing any good areas.

I also have Delta Force 1-3. In OPFP, you can't go in some buildings/houses. Also, there is no glass in the windows. In DF 2 & 3, you have to shoot the windows out before you can shoot out the windows.

That said, OPFP is a much better game in terms of AI, graphics, and realism. I have put the Delta Force trilogy on the shelf.

436709.jpg

Buildings do piss me off at times. Once during a Deathmatch I got stuck under a dresser lol.

Whe you start getting pissed at houses, remember, theres a whole big island out there... take a walk, get outside, get some fresh air...

The houses are nice in OFP, give you a good place to hide and cover to snipe from if you're in good position.

I once was in a house when a T-80 shot it and the whole thing collapsed on to me, yet, I was still alive. My worst memory of houses was back in the demo, I was playing this mission and I went up to the 3rd floor of this house, and when I tried to get back on the ladder, down I fell and died.

-=Die Alive=-

Mark Long of Zombie, says NL is doing DF 5, and bringing back the grass. I cannot wait to see what they come up with being they are finally using an uptodate tech engine. wOOOt

Some of you younger folks are spoiled little brats. Please note that I do not have anyone in mind when I say this--just a general statement. Actually I do have someone in mind. Who was that bloke who bitched and complained about OPFP? I think Space Alex made some abrasive comments to this person.

I just went up and got some pizza from some joint up the road and lo and behold, they had an orginal Midway Gorf game, circa 1981. It's been 20 years so I "inserted coin" and battled for 5 minutes with the Evil Gorf Empire. I destroyed the Flag Ship in a beautiful explosion consisting of an array of 5 colors. My first computer was a Commondore VIC 20 with 3K of Ram. I paid $75 for it. I could not afford a Commondore 64 which ruled the world at that time. There were no hard-drives or floppy drives in those days. We had an external cassette recorder to save data on. Let me tell you something, it was obscene.

My next machine was an IBM PC JR with 128K of Ram with a 5.25" floppy drive. I got Microsoft Flight Simulator in 1984. It was also in about 5 colors. I think I had an RGB or CGA monitor. 16 colors was all we had for about 10 years until 1991 or 1992 when VGA and SVGA came out with 256 colors.

Anyway, looking back over the years, OPFP knocks me bollocks off. What a great game!

302-21g.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tales_From_Topographic_Oceans @ Mar. 18 2002,15:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I also have Delta Force 1-3. In OPFP, you can't go in some buildings/houses. Also, there is no glass in the windows. In DF 2 & 3, you have to shoot the windows out before you can shoot out the windows.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, in DF 2-3 you can shoot at targets through windows even before the glass is broken.

I have all the DFs, too, and fully agree that better buildings,glass windows and doors that open and close would make OFP that much closer to perfect.

One thing that is really aggravating is the context-sensitive Action menu.

Sometimes options show up more than once (such as "Take AK-74 Magazine"), change position, or options appear and disappear.

The later will happen if you are in a M113 as a driver for example, and are stopping on a slope and try to switch to the gunner position. Even if you kill the engine after stopping, the M113 will start rolling down the hill on its own, and as soon as there is any movement, the "Switch to gunner position" option becomes unavailable.

Another example would be after placing satchel charges. Imagine that you just set them, and are now picking over the nearby bodies of some dead enemy soldiers for magazines, grenades or an AT weapon. Your buddy is doing the same next to you, and accidentally bumps into you just as you click the mouse wheel to pick up an item -- the item you intended to click on disappears, and you detonate the satchel charges, killing everyone. This has happened to me more than once. mad.gif

*shrugs*

I actualy think the action menu is a really good feature. The houses do annoy me sometimes, though. One moment, you're hiding from an army of Russians at the second floor of a house and suddenly you step through the walls into the enemy's hands. Also, why can't you shoot through the glass in the 'pub-like' houses?

The screenshots I've seen for the new DF game look exactly like DFLW, what's the point? I guess they figured they have no chance in beating Opf so they'll just release a DFLW clone to get the moron $ confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (InRange @ Mar. 19 2002,03:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">*shrugs*

I actualy think the action menu is a really good feature. The houses do annoy me sometimes, though. One moment, you're hiding from an army of Russians at the second floor of a house and suddenly you step through the walls into the enemy's hands. Also, why can't you shoot through the glass in the 'pub-like' houses?<span id='postcolor'>

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to get rid of the Action menu.

I just think that the current implementation leaves something to be desired. It has bugs, such as items showing up more than once, or items moving around while the menu is up.

I think the menu should be taller than then five or so items you can currently see without scrolling. I would also like items that become unavailable after the menu has popped up to simply get grayed out, and new items that become available to be appended at the bottom -- that would deal with accidentally setting off satchel charges etc.

Well I suppose they could oranize the action menu with hotkeys, but then again, there are so many actions that you couldn't possibly set a hot key for each one.

By the way, is it just me, or is everyone else also unable to use the mouse scroll to browse the actions ? When I go to Options>Controls, and try to set my mouse scroll to scroll through previous/next actions, my mouse isn't recognized. Grrr. That would really help.

I have never see the bug of seeing one action show up more than once. Maybe you saw "Take M16 Mag." and "Reload M16 Mag." and just got them confused.

Though I believe lot of this could be solved if the triggers that activate action menus wouldn't be based on the soldier's orientation. I.E. Boarding a helicopter wouldn't require you to face it. You could turn around and still see the action menu.

I never really had much problems with the houses though. All 3 Islands are really rural areas with villages made up of no more than 4 or 5 houses. Towns are so sparse that I hardly walk inside them. But I think they could have spent a little more time creating 2 more meshes for each house, one slightly damaged and another one very damaged. That way when you shoot a building with a tank, you'd see bricks and cement and dust, and the house mesh would change to one of the other two.. But then again, there are so many different houses that creating 2 different meshes might take a while.

This really is a battlefield simulation. They have already gone through great lengths by combining three mediums LAND/WATER/AIR and still managed to keep it fun..

how about using default MS mouse driver?

I think i heard somewhere on this forum that Logitech driver is problem.

Yes, the Logitech Mouseware drivers don't work correctly with OFP, something that is documented in both AvonLady's and the offical FAQ. The stock Microsoft drivers work fine with Logitech hardware, and allow the use of the mouse wheel.

And regarding the duplicate items appearing on the Action menu, they are in fact duplicates, not similar items. I'll see if I can capture this in a screen shot...

Edit: OK, I jumped into the Mission Editor and killed a bunch of infantry guys. Since the image is kind of large, I won't include it here, but if you follow this link, you'll be able to see an example.

Well I do in fact use the default plug-n-play mouse drivers for my IntelliMouse Optical. Darn it. The scroll works on every game but this one.

I use an IntelliMouse Explorer, default drivers and all, and it works perfectly except for this odd thing that happens every once in a while. The mouse will start to warp in-game, as if the mouse isnt reading off the surface properly, and aiming quickly becomes impossible. I found a fix though: just hit Alt-Tab, and then come back into the game after wiggling yer mouse around for a second or two. Then it works perfectly. One of my squadmates had the same problem, so I figured Id share it with you guys.

I really like your avatar advocatexxx!! biggrin.gif

On topic - I dont even use the houses in OFP. I mean I dont go into them. Because if I do, things get messed up.

However, I do hide behind them and such, but I would never use them as a sniperspot.

I dont know if the OFP engine is capable of doing interiors with any precisision, but it sure would be cool.

If this game could include CQB..........then I think the nobelprice (pick any, hell, pick all) shold go to BIS. biggrin.gif

I was playing a Red Hammer mission yesterday and I ran into a building. When I turned around to exit the building though, the door was gone! I was completely shut inside. Actually, it turned out I could run through the 'wall', so it didn't matter, but it was a bit wierd.

I love those crucial moments when you really really have to send that important radiomessage and....YEAH, BABY WE JUST DISABLED THAT OPTION FOR YA!

Example: Playing the convoy-mission in the campaign where

you have to protect the trucks. There are two radiocalls:

1. CONVOY - MOVE

2. CONVOY - STOP

I made my way thru the vegetation, killin´off the foes while using the radiocalls. Suddenly when things were getting hot I couldn´t reach the radiopanel. Just the standard replymessages. And there I stood banging away on the radiobuttons while the convoy cruised by, waving, clueless of their upcoming discomfort...

I´ve seen this on other missons aswell...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sandman @ Mar. 19 2002,07:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont know if the OFP engine is capable of doing interiors with any precisision, but it sure would be cool.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, personally I think the interiors are nicely done. Take a look in General Guba's house on Kolgujev for example. It's the interaction with the furniture that's a bit of a problem sometimes tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 19 2002,05:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, the Logitech Mouseware drivers don't work correctly with OFP, something that is documented in both AvonLady's and the offical FAQ. The stock Microsoft drivers work fine with Logitech hardware, and allow the use of the mouse wheel.<span id='postcolor'>

Strange! wow.gif I use Logitech iFeel Mouse with Logitech drivers. Scroll works fine for Action Menu selection and browsing. iFeel work fine. Only complaiant is 2 mouse pointers visible after game start (in "nosplash" mode). But "alt tabbing" back and forth cures problem.

AndyZ

i hate the current AI more. i told 3 to set a satchell charge

"3, ready"

"3, move to (random coords to get him away from the satchell)"

"3, negative"

whatever i did, i couldn't get 3 to stop standing on that damn satchell!

i believe my next command was "3, touch off 1 bomb"

i get this a lot heh