Sign in to follow this  
fer

F2 Mission Development Framework (BAS f for ArmA 2)

All I'm suggesting is to include an extra explanatory version for those of us who are not enlightened in the ways of coding.

I suspect that your request can only be answered by the explanatory text of "learn how to script". I realise that's exceedingly difficult without some guidance but, personally, I'd prefer that Fer concentrate on good base functionality as opposed to generic coding documentation.

Ultimately, I don't think it's realistic to expect a "no coding experience" version of F2 or similar frameworks.

Netwars4, I'm sorry that you find F2 a hair-puller, but as you correctly identify the framework does require its users to have at least a basic knowledge of scripting. Trying to teach someone how to script using F2 as the starting point would probably be like trying to teach elementary flight at the controls of a 747 (admittedly, a very ramshackle 747, where some of the engines only work on alternate Sundays and the only drink available from the attendants is rum). Far, far better to learn the basics in an environment that's optimised for teaching, then return to F2. I'm sorry this isn't the answer you were seeking, but if it's any consolation I'm not a developer at all and I know that it won't take you long to get up to speed. I hope you'll be making missions with F2 soon.

Fer, thank you and your team for F2. I have a question.

I wanted to keep the date I selected in the editor instead of 11May2007. So in f_setMissionConditions.sqf I made the following changes:

// ====================================================================================

// SET KEY VARIABLES

// Conditions are set in the parameters screen (during mission set-up).

_timeOfDay = f_param_timeOfDay;

_weather = f_param_weather;

_todayIs = date;

_yearIs = _todayIs select 0;

_monthIs = _todayIs select 1;

_dayIs = _todayIs select 2;

// ====================================================================================

// SELECT MISSION TIME OF DAY

// Using the value of _timeOfDay, a new date is set.

switch (_timeOfDay) do

{

// Dawn

case 0:

{

setDate [_yearIs, _monthIs, _dayIs, 4, 50];

};

// Early Morning...

It seems to work. Is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks again for your efforts.

Boston. IIRC that's the only component in F2 that controls time/date, so you should be good with the edits you've made. :)

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

F2_logo_135x135.gif

New Release: v2-3-0 (inc. F2A2 for ACE2 and Norrin's)

About the new release

From the ReadMe.txt file:

2-3-0 | 12 APR 2010

Added JIP Reinforcement Options component.

Added F2A2 Kegetys Spectator Script (ACE2 Addon) component.

Updated ShackTactical Platoons (added JIP group to all platoons).

Updated F2A2 ShackTactical Platoons for ACE2 (added JIP group to all platoons).

Updated F2A2 ShackTactical Platoons for ACE2 (added ACE Enable Wounding).

Updated Briefing File Template component to make it JIP-friendly.

Updated manual: Various changes (EN and RU versions).

About F2

The F2 Mission Development Framework (F2) is the successor to the popular BAS f mission development framework for ArmA (discussed in this thread). The new framework contains many of the features you know from BAS f, updated to work with ArmA 2, plus some new components which take advantage of the new game's special features.

For downloads and to find out more please see our online manual:

Huge thanks to all team members and contributors to F2 (and BAS f), as well as the testers from Shack Tactical.

With the setDate of the F2 framework, won't JIP players get "reset" back to the mission start time rather than the actual time? So if the mission started at 6 in the morning and it's now 7 (an hour into the game), JIP players will still see 6 in the morning when they join? Or did you do anything to fix it with later versions?

Another thing I've noticed is that briefings are faction specific and thus when using addons that add new factions briefings for them will not show without modifying the framework. Perhaps you should make it default so that all western factions will get USMC briefing, all eastern factions get Russian briefing and all independent factions will get guerrilla briefing to cause less issues, and/or to make an option (or even default) for side-specific briefing rather than faction-specific (which makes sense in many/most missions), and/or add support for factions added by widely-used addons.

With the setDate of the F2 framework, won't JIP players get "reset" back to the mission start time rather than the actual time? So if the mission started at 6 in the morning and it's now 7 (an hour into the game), JIP players will still see 6 in the morning when they join? Or did you do anything to fix it with later versions?

Honestly? I'm not sure. We'll have to see how that works and if necessary add a fix to the next build.

Another thing I've noticed is that briefings are faction specific and thus when using addons that add new factions briefings for them will not show without modifying the framework. Perhaps you should make it default so that all western factions will get USMC briefing, all eastern factions get Russian briefing and all independent factions will get guerrilla briefing to cause less issues, and/or to make an option (or even default) for side-specific briefing rather than faction-specific (which makes sense in many/most missions), and/or add support for factions added by widely-used addons.

It's a tricky call, because the opposite is true for the missions I usually play. As far as supporting other factions goes, it's hard to keep up with what the community creates, so I've stuck to the vanilla ArmA2 ones for my own sanity. Altering the framework to support a new faction in one's mission should be a quick edit - and remember that it's part of F2's remit to encourage mission makers to get under the hood.

F2_logo_135x135.gif

New Release: v2-3-1 (inc. F2A2 for ACE2 and Norrin's)

About the new release

2-3-1 | 20 APR 2010

Added Respawn INIT component.

Added description.ext.F2A2 (supports F2A2 and F2A2ST).

Updated ShackTactical Group Markers to support JIP groups.

Updated F2A2 ShackTactical Group Markers for ACE2 to support JIP groups.

2-3-0 | 12 APR 2010

Added JIP Reinforcement Options component.

Added F2A2 Kegetys Spectator Script (ACE2 Addon) component.

Updated ShackTactical Platoons (added JIP group to all platoons).

Updated F2A2 ShackTactical Platoons for ACE2 (added JIP group to all platoons).

Updated F2A2 ShackTactical Platoons for ACE2 (added ACE Enable Wounding).

Updated Briefing File Template component to make it JIP-friendly.

Updated manual: Various changes (EN and RU versions).

About F2

The F2 Mission Development Framework (F2) is the successor to the popular BAS f mission development framework for ArmA (discussed in this thread). The new framework contains many of the features you know from BAS f, updated to work with ArmA 2, plus some new components which take advantage of the new game's special features.

Huge thanks to all team members and contributors to F2 (and BAS f), as well as the testers from Shack Tactical.

Hi masters

How I see the version of F2 installed in my old mission?

Best regards

How I see the version of F2 installed in my old mission?

That's a good question, but I'm afraid there isn't an easy way to do it. A better idea is to port your mission to a newer version of F2 instead. Here are a few steps to try out:

• Copy your mission.sqm file over the one in F2 or F2A2 (assuming you are not / are using ACE2 units)
  • Use an application like ExamDiff to compare your init.sqf and description.ext files with the ones in F2, then carry over any customisations into the newer files
  • Copy over any custom scripts from your orginal mission

Hope that helps.

Hi F2 guru's,

When running the ACE version and I look at another player their unit type is displayed i.e. "Squad Leader", do you know how to turn this off?

Thanks

Cool Breeze

When running the ACE version and I look at another player their unit type is displayed i.e. "Squad Leader", do you know how to turn this off?

That isn't F2-related functionality. You might want to ask the ACE2 team.

That's a good question, but I'm afraid there isn't an easy way to do it. A better idea is to port your mission to a newer version of F2 instead. Here are a few steps to try out:

• Copy your mission.sqm file over the one in F2 or F2A2 (assuming you are not / are using ACE2 units)
  • Use an application like ExamDiff to compare your init.sqf and description.ext files with the ones in F2, then carry over any customisations into the newer files
  • Copy over any custom scripts from your orginal mission

Hope that helps.

Thx Fer. A small txt file defining the actual version do F2 is a good idea!!

Best Regards

F2_logo_135x135.gif

New Release: v2-3-2 (inc. F2A2 for ACE2 and Norrin's)

About the new release

2-3-2 | 17 MAY 2010

Fixed minor bug with Respawn INIT component.

About F2

I am trying to set R3F into a local version of F2 for my group, but having no luck getting it to initialize.

I have added R3F to loads of other missions but this one seems to have me beaten. Anyone have any luck with this ?

I am trying to set R3F into a local version of F2 for my group, but having no luck getting it to initialize.

I have added R3F to loads of other missions but this one seems to have me beaten. Anyone have any luck with this ?

Hi UGLY58, I'm not familiar with R3F, but could you post some links to the code you are trying to integrate, and perhaps even a WIP copy of your F2 folder? I'll try to see if there's a conflict.

Fer,

R3F Artillery and Logistics...

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9285

Installations is as follows

Follow these steps carefully :

Step 1. Copy the directory "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG" - Done

Step 2. You have to add to the file "description.ext" of the mission the following content :

#include "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\desc_include.h"

class RscTitles

{

#include "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\desc_rsct_include.h"

};

If you already have a class "RscTitles" in the file :

- Do not copy the lines starting with "class RscTitles" and ending with "};"

- Add in the existing class "RscTitles" the line starting with "#include".

You have RSCTitles listed in F2 but no default listings below it. I tried both replacing all and listing just #include "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\desc_include.h" neither work.

Step 3. You have to add to the file "stringtable.csv" of the mission the following content :

LANGUAGE, English, French

#include "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\stringtable.csv"

If you don't have a file named "stringtable.csv" in the main directory of your mission, create one.

If you already have a file named "stringtable.csv" :

- Add only the line starting with "#include".

- Check if the list of the languages used is well "English, French". If it is not the case, you can edit the three following files to match the different columns :

- R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\stringtable.csv

- R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_ARTY\stringtable.csv

- R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_LOG\stringtable.csv

Here you have a stringtable.xml. I have tried adding both a stringtable.csv as above and I have tried inserting the #include in the stringtable.xml both with no joy.

Any advice you can offer would be most appreciated.

http://cid-ad17691298f3e141.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents/=TFB=F2v1.Chernarus.7z

Edited by UGLY58

Thanks for this resource. I look forward to using it.

I used to script missions and mod in Ghost Recon, but was feeling a little overwhelmed by the amazing complexity of the Arma2 scripting.

Ref My R3F/F2 problem....

Stringtables, its here where the problem lies. If I remove stringtable.xml, the R3F works. But then F2 relies on the stringtable.xml for the keys etc.

I need to merge the two and produce a xml version of the R3F stringtable, but have failed so far to find the right coding, anyone any idea ?

Stringtables, its here where the problem lies. If I remove stringtable.xml, the R3F works. But then F2 relies on the stringtable.xml for the keys etc. I need to merge the two and produce a xml version of the R3F stringtable, but have failed so far to find the right coding, anyone any idea ?

Hi UGLY58, sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner. Here's a possible solution: earlier versions of F2 used a stringtable.csv file, before switchng to an XML file. The last version of F2 to use it was v2-0-1, which you can download from here:

http://www.ferstaberinde.com/f2/downloads/f2_v2-0-1.7z

Grab the stringtable.csv from v2-0-1 and use that as the basis of your integration of the R3F scripts. Obviously, there may be a few items in the F2 stringtable.xml which are missing in the old F2 stringtable.csv, but it's probably only a handful (if that). I'll have a quick look now and see what's changed.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

UGLY58 - I've made you a stringtable.csv file which contains all the strings from the latest F2 stringtable.xml. I'm afraid only had time to put in the English values, but I made the second column for French. You can download the file here:

http://www.ferstaberinde.com/f2/downloads/misc/stringtableForUGLY58.7z

Hope that helps!

With the approach of Operation Arrowhead (OA) there's a choice to be made about how best to support it with F2, and it would be great to get the thoughts of real users. Assuming all the components of F2 continue to work in OA, should the next version of F2:

A. Shift focus entirely to OA, so that any component that uses pre-placed units and equipment uses OA content.

B. Retain the default focus on on vanilla ArmA2, but include optional versions of key files (e.g. mission.sqm) for ACE2 and OA.

C. Make the OA versions of files the default, but include options for vanilla ArmA2 and ACE2.

D. Split into a baseline set of files, to which you would need to add one of 3 separate mini-packs with key files for vanilla OA, vanilla ArmA2 or ACE2.

Or maybe something else? Please share your thoughts. BTW old versions of F2 will continue to be available, whatever route is selected.

Personally, I only ever make missions for my group using ACE2. However, I'm not entirely sure how much of my group will pick up OA, so retaining support for ArmA2 base + ACE2 is very helpful for me.

That said, given that I have working missions in current versions of F2, maybe F2 should move to focusing on OA as primary and then offering whatever alternatives you have time and energy for.

Thanks!

Well, would F2 actually have any OA-specific scripts? Looking at the current feature list, I don't really notice anything that should work any differently for OA other than pre-placed units, which as you already figured out can be easily solved by making 2 different versions of mission.sqm.

If you are going to have OA-specific and vanilla-specific scripts, though, you'll probably never be able to make everyone happy unless you keep full support for both, as I'm sure you'll have a lot of people who will only own vanilla, a lot of people who will own only OA and a lot of people who will own both, each group not being very happy if they were neglected.

Well, would F2 actually have any OA-specific scripts? Looking at the current feature list, I don't really notice anything that should work any differently for OA other than pre-placed units, which as you already figured out can be easily solved by making 2 different versions of mission.sqm.

Having different versions of mission.sqm usually requires different versions of init.sqf, description.ext, plus various other scripts (for markers, gear assignments etc.). So it's not quite that simple.

What's different other than gear? Assign gear script should be easily updated to work for both OA and vanilla, either by making each use different loadout string or have the script actually check what is running and/or the class of the soldier used, and thus never give weapons that are not installed.

Why are markers any different? They aren't removing any markers with OA, or do they?

What's different other than gear? ... Why are markers any different?

If you look at the ShackTactical platoons for vanilla ArmA2 and ACE2 you'll see that not only are the loadouts different, the ACE2 version features extra teams (to take advantage of specific ACE2 heavy weapons). That difference requires different loadout, markers and groupIDs scripts to be used. Also, the ACE2 versions require a different approach to the spectator script, which in turn impacts on the init.sqf script. When OA is released F2 will begin supporting the a further ORBAT (as well as ShackTactical's), which will have a similar impact.

You're right that the existing scripts could be made to support different mission.sqm files - I'll look into that, but if it makes them so complicated that they are no longer easily understood by the relative newcomer, that will not be a viable option.