Sign in to follow this  
fer

F2 Mission Development Framework (BAS f for ArmA 2)

Hi,

in another post i have opened a discussion about my problem with the mission parameters that maybe better be discussed here, so others can find it more easily.

The post can be found here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1951518&posted=1#post1951518

Basicly i want to implement two new mission parameters with the f2-way but it does not work. Also i could not find any documentation in the F2-wiki how to do that, it would be cool if someone could add an article there.

I would be pleased if someone could assist me in debugging my problem. Thank you in advance!

helling3r, according to what you posted in the other thread, you're inserting the new parameters and their relevant variables correctly. It may be an issue of sequencing: the f_processParamsArray.sqf script may not finish outputting the variables you require in time for the custom script(s) you launch via init.sqf. That may explain why your debug message shows the correct value once the mission is underway, but why the script(s) that require the variable are not functioning correcly.

Try placing this at the top of your custom script(s):

// WAIT FOR PARAMSARRAY TO BE PROCESSED

waitUntil {scriptDone f_processParamsArray};

Hello and thank you for your feedback on the params implementation and also for sharing your idea. I will try that out, however i have a follow up question:

The failing ACM-code is placed at the end of init.sqf, where the params are initialized at the top. Should i place the "waitUntil ..." just in front of my ACM-Snippet (this will cause the init.sqf to pause)? Or is init.sqf required to finish in a special ammount of time?

Regarding the heli-spawn parameter; i just test for a variable in the "Condition for presence" field in the editor of said helicopter objects. When are they initialized? Or is this the wrong way to implement "spawn this unit only if a certain mission parameter is set"?

The failing ACM-code is placed at the end of init.sqf, where the params are initialized at the top. Should i place the "waitUntil ..." just in front of my ACM-Snippet (this will cause the init.sqf to pause)? Or is init.sqf required to finish in a special ammount of time?

I would recommend, instead, moving the ACM-code (and anything that depends upon one of the mission parameters) to a separate SQF file. Ensure the new SQF file includes the waitUntil command I posted before and trigger it using an ExecVM line at the end of the init.sqf file.

Regarding the heli-spawn parameter; i just test for a variable in the "Condition for presence" field in the editor of said helicopter objects. When are they initialized? Or is this the wrong way to implement "spawn this unit only if a certain mission parameter is set"?

TBH, I don't know, but suspect you may run into problems if you ask a command in a unit's INIT line to use a value from a mission parameter. Instead, I would look at spawning the unit(s) via a script OR placing them in an unused corner of the map and using a script to setPos them to the desired location if the relevant mission parameter has been set.

Actually if you rely on init.sqf stuff to run before init lines of units you are guaranteed to have it not work. If you spawn stuff in parallel to init.sqf, though, and not use the waitUntil line, it'll sometimes work and sometimes fails, depends on how the scripting scheduler decides to run the stuff.

Ok, this now seem to work! Thank you!

To summarize it:

- separate SQF-script, which is called at the end of the init.sqf

- At the beginning of that script, the waiting line is called

- Script waits for parameters to be processed

Maybe I missed something and I couldn't spot a fix in the 31 pages already here so I'll ask. I love the F2 Framework. I have a few issues with the Norrin Revive script side of things. The one I am looking for a solution for is this;

I have the Name Tags feature turned on and everything works great but when you are killed and either revived or forced to respawn back the base the name tag functionality stops. You can still press T to turn tags on and off and it says they are on/off in the hint dialogue box but name tags above the players heads vanish and never come back.

Is there a known way to fix this? I tried putting the initalization code for the Name Tags int he NorronCustm fields in the revive_int.sqf file but the name tags still don't come back.

For the Norrin side of things, it works for the most part but sometimes when a player clicks on a spawn point from the list they spawn no where near that point or they respawn where the Respawn_West marker is which we don't want to happen since that marker isn't suppose to be near the battlefield.

Any thoughts?

I have the Name Tags feature turned on and everything works great but when you are killed and either revived or forced to respawn back the base the name tag functionality stops. You can still press T to turn tags on and off and it says they are on/off in the hint dialogue box but name tags above the players heads vanish and never come back.

Is there a known way to fix this? I tried putting the initalization code for the Name Tags int he NorronCustm fields in the revive_int.sqf file but the name tags still don't come back.

Glad you like F2. I don't have the answer for your question, but want to suggest a direction to explore: where do you re-initialise the tags in Norrin's code? It might be an issue of timing, particularly if Norrin's scripts are drawing anything on the screen. Ideally, you want to re-initialise the tags after the player has revived.

Glad you like F2. I don't have the answer for your question, but want to suggest a direction to explore: where do you re-initialise the tags in Norrin's code? It might be an issue of timing, particularly if Norrin's scripts are drawing anything on the screen. Ideally, you want to re-initialise the tags after the player has revived.

NORRNCustomExec1				="[20, 0.75, 0.5] execVM 'f\common\f_recog\setupRecognize.sqf'"; 				// Exec1 occurs following being revived
NORRNCustomExec2				="";  				// Exec2 occurs when you team kill
NORRNCustomExec3                ="[_name,'USS Khe Sanh'] execVm 'respawnSpecial\respawnSpecial.sqf'"; 				// Exec3 occurs when you spawn at base
NORRNCustomExec4				="";  				// Exec4 occurs when you try and spawn at base but it is still occupied
NORRNCustomExec5				="";  				// Must use variables: MAP_r_rejoin (false - first time, 

At the very end of the Revive_Init.sqf files there are places to make code execute in certain situations. I tried #1 which states it fires off following being revived. As you can see, I tried to fire off the part of the code that kicks in the tagging. The initial code only sets up the Key press watcher and then it goes on to like the SetupRecognize.sqf file but no results. The toggle works and the Off and On hints work but the text just won't appear back over your teammates head.

UPDATE: Resolved. Put [] execVM "f\common\f_recog\recog_init.sqf"; in both CustomExec1 and in Custom Exec3 after the RespawnSpecial if you are using LHD carrier repsawning. Player just has to hit T again when they are revived or respawn to turn labels on again.

UPDATE #2: I lied. Not resolved. It sort of works. Name tags only work when in vehicles and sometimes they will kick on but they are no longer over the players head but centered on their body. And some player testers couldn't get any tags to start off until someone died.

We have also confirmed something else weird. I don't know if this is the intended result but when we are playing and someone JIPs suddenly everyone has their total lives left reduced to the JIP setting (default 2). And if you have already died twice when someone JIPs in you get the infamous text saying there are no living playable units and you need to exit the game and pick a playable unit.

I noticed the current version of Norrin's Revive .50 Beta is not what is in the F2 Framework pack. Will upgrading that component screw up the rest of the F2 framework?

Edited by Geosword

I noticed the current version of Norrin's Revive .50 Beta is not what is in the F2 Framework pack. Will upgrading that component screw up the rest of the F2 framework?

No, you should be fine to use the more modern build of Norrin's Revive. Sorry you haven't been able to get it to play nicely with the name tags yet.

No, you should be fine to use the more modern build of Norrin's Revive. Sorry you haven't been able to get it to play nicely with the name tags yet.

I can confirm that all is good (I did it last week). If you want to put it in the same place as with the old script, you have to go into norrins code and change some of the file references though.

In fact you can have my copy of the revive_sqf folder that has all the file references changed. This assumes that you put it in the 'f' folder in F2 as with the old version.

You also have to make sure the reference in revive_init,qf points to the correct place;

// start related revive functions
[] execVM "f\revive_sqf\init_related_scripts.sqf";

You have to ensure that the references to Norrins script are correct in Description.ext too;

// F2 - Norrin's Revive Respawn (Part 2)
// Credits: Please see the F2 online manual (http://www.ferstaberinde.com/f2/en/)
[size=2]disabledAI = 0;[/size]
[size=2][color=#0000ff][size=2][color=#0000ff]#include[/color][/size][/color][/size][size=2] "f\revive_sqf\dialogs\revive.cpp"[/size]

You need to make sure you add revive.cpp to the right place in f\revive_sqf\dialogs - but if you download from my link - thats already done.

EDIT (again).

Here's a (very) incomplete mission with the updated revive. The mission is irrelevant but it shows the revive in place and all file references changed. The mission isn't complete, but the revive works!

Edited by Jedra
updated links

F2_logo_135x135.gif

New Release: F2 v2-5-0 (for Combined Operations)

Highlights:

1. Folk platoons now expanded to provide the existing 6 infantry fireteams with the following attachments and vehicles:

• Medium MG
  • Heavy MG
  • Medium AT
  • Heavy MG
  • SAM
  • Mortar
  • Engineers
  • Infantry Fighting Vehicle (x3)
  • Tank
  • Transport Helicopter (x2)
  • Attack Helicopter

2. The OA Folk Assign Gear Script component has been updated so that final loadouts appear in the briefing screen.

Huge thanks to comrade Nullkigan from ARPS for leading the work on this build (with help from comrade Harakka from ARPS). Big thanks to everyone in the Folk and ARPS. communities.

From the ReadMe.txt file:

2-5-0 | 24 JAN 2012

Updated OA Folk Platoons.

Updated OA Folk Assign Gear Script.

Updated OA Folk Group IDs.

Updated OA Folk Group Markers.

Updated OA Folk JIP Reinforcement Options.

Updated stringtable.xml.

Updated manual: Various changes (EN and RU versions).

About F2

The F2 Mission Development Framework (F2) is the successor to the popular BAS f mission development framework for ArmA (discussed in this thread). The new framework contains many of the features you know from BAS f, updated to work with ArmA2 and ArmA2:OA, plus some new components which take advantage of the new game's special features.

For downloads and to find out more please see our online manual:

Huge thanks to all team members and contributors to F2 (and BAS f), as well as the testers from Folk and ARPS.

Hi guys,

I am updating an ArmA 2 mission I made to F2 v2-5-0 in combination with other scripts.

When I tested the mission on my PC (Host) in multiplayer I noticed that under "Parameters" I can only choose OA Backpacks... On/Off

but no other option I activated (according to the F2 wiki) such as Debug, AI skill selector coop or Time of Day / Weather.

My first thought was I mixed up the description.ext so I replaced it with a brand new one out of the 7zip F2 v2-5-0 file to see if this gonna solve the problem after i activated the other options again but it dosent. I saw this allready on other coops on a dedicated server but I dident thought about it.

Did anyone had the same problem before? and if yes how did you solve it?

thank you

I am updating an ArmA 2 mission I made to F2 v2-5-0 in combination with other scripts.

When I tested the mission on my PC (Host) in multiplayer I noticed that under "Parameters" I can only choose OA Backpacks... On/Off

but no other option I activated (according to the F2 wiki) such as Debug, AI skill selector coop or Time of Day / Weather.

My first thought was I mixed up the description.ext so I replaced it with a brand new one out of the 7zip F2 v2-5-0 file to see if this gonna solve the problem after i activated the other options again but it dosent. I saw this allready on other coops on a dedicated server but I dident thought about it.

Radioshack - I'm not sure I understand the problem. I've just loaded up a fresh copy of v2-5-0 and re-checked what parameters are available in the mission selection screen. By default you should see:

• OA Backpacks
  • Debug
  • Time of day
  • Weather

To enable others, such as AI Skill Selector (Coop), you'll need to uncomment the relevant blocks of code in description.ext and init.sqf. Does that help?

Debug,

Time of day,

Weather

are for some reason missing but I dident removed them, what files are required to make this settings work, because I deleted some scripts I dont use to reduce the file size. Maybe I deleted to much.

The settings that you list are part of the description.ext file and are enabled by default in the version that ships with every copy of F2. There are other files that are required to make the parameters have an effect on the mission, but even deleting those will not cause the parameters to disappear so long as description.ext is correct (you'll be able to set parameters but they won't have any effect).

If you want to delete files in F2, the ones used by each feature are listed on the appropriate F2 wiki page. However, I would be cautious about doing this because some files may be shared between features. If you want to make a really big saving, and are not using Norrin's revive, simply delete f/revive.

From your posts, I wonder if there is an issue with your copy of description.ext. Perhaps you could post a 7z/Zip copy of your mission folder for us to look at?

I downloaded the last version F2 again took my description.ext out of the mission and placed the untouched F2 description.ext in the mission folder, still no options. But I noticed that there ARE options but I cant see them. I put a screenshot insinde the mission folder so you guys can see what I see (my parameter screen.jpg)

https://rapidshare.com/files/1086480025/co_06_sitting_duck.utes.7z

I haven't been able to test this yet, but looking at your screenshot I wonder:

The *words* used in the parameters are drawn from the file stringtable.xml (because in most cases they are localised into English, Russian etc.). When you updated description.ext, did you update your copy of stringtable.xml at the same time?

Well.... I was 100% sure I did because i just keept the init, description and mission file and replaced the rest but after I replaced the stringtable it is working :icon_redface: but thank you anyway and sorry for the inconvenience.

Well.... I was 100% sure I did because i just keept the init, description and mission file and replaced the rest but after I replaced the stringtable it is working :icon_redface: but thank you anyway and sorry for the inconvenience.

Hey, no problem at all - there's no shame in asking for help here, because any bug is a valid one. Very happy to know you can continue making your mission! :)

awsome set of scripts,

But i have a problem im using the player group markers which are working great untill a plyer dies then there markers do not show again.

i execute by using

init.sqf

[] execVM "HOG scripts\f\common\ShackTac_setlocalFTMemberMarkers.sqf";

//i also use this as your rules say dont disable it i dont think it is needed but i use it anyway

f_script_setLocalVars = [] execVM "HOG scripts\f\common\f_setLocalVars.sqf";

@ hogmason - after the player has respawned, you should be able to re-initialise the group and fireteam member markers using these lines respectively:

[] execVM "f\common\folk_setLocalGroupMarkers.sqf";
[] execVM "f\common\ShackTac_setlocalFTMemberMarkers.sqf";

Please keep the setLocalVars script, as it is used by other components within f.

Also, I note that you have placed the \f\ folder within another folger (\HOG scripts\). This may impact or even disable some components within F2.

Hope that helps :)

cheers mate, yeah i only done the folder move to help keep things tiddy as its a danm large mission, but all im using is the f2 markers.

F2_logo_135x135.gif

New Release: F2 v2-6-0 (for Combined Operations)

Highlights:

1. The platoons in the F2 OA Folk build have been re-organised, grouping 9 fireteams into 3 squads with dedicated squad leaders and medics. Each of the 6 faction-specific platoons now features 90 pre-placed units. All elements have dynamic markers and customised group IDs. Making large-scale infantry and combined arms missions is now faster than ever!

2. As before, the following attachments and crewed vehicles are available in each platoon:

• Medium MG
  • Heavy MG
  • Medium AT
  • Heavy MG
  • SAM
  • Mortar
  • Engineers
  • Infantry Fighting Vehicle (x3)
  • Tank
  • Transport Helicopter (x2)
  • Attack Helicopter

Big thanks to everyone in the Folk and ARPS communities.

From the ReadMe.txt file:

2-6-0 | 07 JUN 2012

Updated OA Folk Platoons.

Updated OA Folk Assign Gear Script.

Updated OA Folk Group IDs.

Updated OA Folk Group Markers.

Updated Briefing File Template component.

Updated manual: Various changes.

About F2

The F2 Mission Development Framework (F2) is the successor to the popular BAS f mission development framework for ArmA (discussed in this thread). The new framework contains many of the features you know from BAS f, updated to work with ArmA2 and ArmA2:OA, plus some new components which take advantage of the new game's special features.

For downloads and to find out more please see our online manual:

Huge thanks to all team members and contributors to F2 (and BAS f), as well as the testers from Folk and ARPS.