Sign in to follow this  
Beltfed

What does this quote from the BIS site mean?

"Building on 10 years of constant engine development, ARMA II boasts the most realistic combat environment in the world. It models real world ballistics & round deflection, materials penetration,"

This led me to get really excited and think that, yes, finally, Arma will have some realistic armor fights! I lost interest in Arma 1 because of the hit point system. I immediately bought Arma 2 thinking that things had changed. Was I wrong? Or when I fire a T-72s main gun at another T-72 is there "real world ballistics & round deflection, materials penetration,"?

Thanks for any info!

Chris

The only time I've seen any of that is when bullets ricochet off the ground or metal poles. Not exactly "real world penetration" when a 9 mm pistol can penetrate an A-10 canopy.

Nope still the same old hit points system unfortunately.

Ballistics.. lets say yes, round deflection... not on tanks but could be activated,no material penetration. Its just a halftrue adverdisment sentence. What they mean by material penetration are the wall types that let every bullet through and divert its path. Or is the effect dependant on ammo damage value/something else?

round deflection... not on tanks but could be activated
How can it be activated then ?

Greetingz, Monk.

Still hit points eh? Crap, that quote misled me then. Oh well, still a great sim anyways.

Quite static. Was watching a video on youtube, apparently every 7th shot fired will ricochet the bullet.

Quite static. Was watching a video on youtube, apparently every 7th shot fired will ricochet the bullet.

Are you talking about the M107 video? I think he was wrong. I don't believe that every 7th bullet will ricochet.

The richochet is dynamic.

The .50 cals do minor splash ( area ) damage.

Hence the death after shot 7.

You can blast in one side and out the other of a VW golf and kill a guy on the other side with the m107 in ArmA. Also, taking ground fire in the cargo compartment of the hind may result in killing those aboard. A friend of mine took the golden BB in head as I was sitting next to him just 20 minutes ago. At least his corpse had the good sense to jump out of the helicopter. There is definitely some form of penetration at work.

On Utes in the editor, place unit and an ammo box on the top of the control tower at the airfield. To the south right across the airbase is a building with a concrete fence next to it, there is a break at the bottom of the fence facing the control tower, place a friendly unit there. Preview the mission and shoot at the hidden body of the barely visible unit (should only be able to see it's feet) with the standard M16. No effect, no matter how many shots are fired. Grab the M107 or the Russian counterpart, try the same. You'll either see rounds deflected thru the concrete into the ground behind the unit, or the unit will drop. Definate penetration, could use some consistancy, but it is surely there. Can try the same with 5.56mm and 7.62 with the heavy wooden fences, about the same result.

Dont know how it is done but here is the video about shell deflection

Also noticed that most if not all walls now can be shot through :) Although it seems too rare.

You can blast in one side and out the other of a VW golf and kill a guy on the other side with the m107 in ArmA. Also, taking ground fire in the cargo compartment of the hind may result in killing those aboard. A friend of mine took the golden BB in head as I was sitting next to him just 20 minutes ago. At least his corpse had the good sense to jump out of the helicopter. There is definitely some form of penetration at work.

See, that is awesome. WTG BIS :)

The statement is technically true, but very misleading

Which statement? The one on the website?

Edited by Max Power