Sign in to follow this  
Jonney Napalm

Nvidia 190.38 Beta Drivers?

For those who want to know: The new drivers dont solve the 8 GB RAM issue.

For me, they even pressed down the localVRAM and nonlocalVRAm to a new minimum: 2 MB (~2 million bytes, a string of seven digits)!

I guess the "old" known workarounds still work, though.

These drivers are much faster for me than 182.5's... Although they have an issue with 8gigs, by using -winxp and making the config file read only, I was able to fix the problem. I did experience some texturing corruption after a long while of playing and it crashed to desktop though.... so hard to tell if its worth it yet.

For the record, does modding the config file in terms of vram and local ram really work even with the file set to read-only? I heard it doesn't.

Also, if I have 768MB of memory per card in SLI, do I add those 2 numbers together and add that to my config file?

BTW, I tried the new drivers and running SLI seems the same as before. After around 10 minutes or so of playing, the frame rates start to drop to an unplayable level which is why I'm interested in this memory config as maybe it has something to do with the way the game addresses texture memory.

Also, if I have 768MB of memory per card in SLI, do I add those 2 numbers together and add that to my config file?

No, you'll just want the vram for a single card. In your case 768mb. I would suggest the best thing you can do is set the video memory in game to "default" which should get you very close to your card specs and just go with that.

These new drivers had no impact on my ArmaIIMark performance. However, in-game and it's like night and day - FINALLY the game runs well for me. Phew, and here I was about to spend AU$700 on a GTX295...

Q6600@3.5GHz

2 x 8800GTX in SLI

780i SLI FTW mobo

4GB DDR2 800

Vista Ultimate Ed 64

These new drivers had no impact on my ArmaIIMark performance. However, in-game and it's like night and day - FINALLY the game runs well for me. Phew, and here I was about to spend AU$700 on a GTX295...

Q6600@3.5GHz

2 x 8800GTX in SLI

780i SLI FTW mobo

4GB DDR2 800

Vista Ultimate Ed 64

Gunslinger what FPS are you getting mate? I too have a Q6600 (3.0Ghz) one 8800GTX stock Vista 32 4Gb DDR2 800.

190.38 upped my FPS by about 5 (Fraps) so I avg 33-34. I reckon over 30 is great for ArmaII.

I have 9800GTX and its absolutely the same with 190.38 as it was with 186.xx and all the previous drivers then that. Average of 75FPS.

Gunslinger what FPS are you getting mate? I too have a Q6600 (3.0Ghz) one 8800GTX stock Vista 32 4Gb DDR2 800.

190.38 upped my FPS by about 5 (Fraps) so I avg 33-34. I reckon over 30 is great for ArmaII.

I'm running at 1920 x 1080, normal AA and aniso, most settings on high or very high, and I'm getting around 30fps, dropping to 25 every now or then. With the older drivers I'd get around 23fps, dropping into the teens frequently.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

I have 9800GTX and its absolutely the same with 190.38 as it was with 186.xx and all the previous drivers then that. Average of 75FPS.

Err, 75fps? You running everything on low, at low res?!

New drivers seem to work ok for me, i get about 60fps on editor and around 30fps in multiplayer mode. With settings mostly high with a fer normal

Intel core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.1Ghz

BFG Tech GTX 285 OC to core 674MHz. shader 1535MHz. mem 1247MHz

Asus P5N-D 750i

4 GB Corsair DDR2 XMS 800

EZ COOL 700W psu

Maxtor HDD

Windows Vista 64bit

these drivers did weird things for me. Firstly they remembered all my profiles for games...never saw an nvidia driver do that. NV Control panel seemed laggy. I could not see anything about Power mode switching that's supposed to be included and I lost 5 fps in Arma...went back to 186.18.

Meh i dont have gfx issues anyway...its all cpu cpu cpu and no NV driver is gonna fix that

Mind if I ask what the rest of your specs are and how the hell you get a 75fps 'average'? I have the same card with a Q6600 (currently not OC'd because the house has no AC so everything is kinda warm in here) on Vista 32bit. I find it difficult to break 30fps as an average at any resolution from 1280x720 to the native res of my monitor at 1680x1050 at all low settings. I can turn some settings up as they only seem to cost me about 1fps or 3fps really so long as I keep them moderate. Also the only difference between those two resolutions framerate wise is about 3 to 5 fps loss or gain. This is all based on performace within MP matches. I've bounced back and forth between drivers and haven't had any noticable change.

Edit: Additionally this performance is with the 3d Res at 100% for each resolution listed.

Edit: Found your specs, and interestingly enough the only difference between our pcs is you have a Q9450 and Win 7. Aside from that our pcs are nearly identical hardware wise. Does Win 7 really have that big of a performance jump?

Edited by Steakslim

I did a profile for the GPU fan speed when I launch arma II, and I since then I dont get any CTD's. before my GPU temp on my GTX 295 did go as high as 85+ but with the higher fan speed i can keep it at around 80C max and it stopped the CTD's

I did a profile for the GPU fan speed when I launch arma II, and I since then I dont get any CTD's. before my GPU temp on my GTX 295 did go as high as 85+ but with the higher fan speed i can keep it at around 80C max and it stopped the CTD's

Same for me since a week on my Asus GTX285.

I decided to install the tools from Asus to control GPU fan speed.

Since i keep my GPU temp lower than 80c max (my GPU is now at +/- 65c), I don't get "any" CTD's.

I mean only one a day but before it was one per hour.

:cool:

do GTX285 cards generally run that hot at idle, the 65c i mean?

That isn't that hot and it's perfectly safe. Tjmax for 200 series cards is 120.

Eth

That isn't that hot and it's perfectly safe. Tjmax for 200 series cards is 120.

Eth

I dont think the heat is any problem to the GPU, but for the memory cooled by the same cooler, a 85+ can give problems.

I dont think the heat is any problem to the GPU, but for the memory cooled by the same cooler, a 85+ can give problems.

85 is not 65. I don't really like seeing my GPUs over 80 (Under load). the Tjmax of 120 is obviously the absolute limit but that doesn't mean you want to run your cards at 110.

Eth