Sign in to follow this  
sbsmac

ANNOUNCE: PVP script pack released

Mac wrote:

How woudl you want this to work ? I'm guessing you would want it so that the objective was neutralised after destroying the contents but then effectively turned into a normal objective ?

Well I guess my hangup with the destroy objective is when you destroy it, it becomes neutral and some players ask why it is not turning "blue". If no one there knows better and can explain then folks think it is a bug. For my Afghan mission that I will be releasing this weekend I hope I found a work around and placed a regular objective over it, with clever placement of stuff, the players in the end do not see anything that appears "wrong". While writing this a thought occured to me. What about a destroy objective marker with a key word for an object? Like how the paradrop works and you can chage the vehicle you use to access the paradrop. So instead of a oblise or rectangle it would be a marker icon. In the game it would just be whatver vehicle you chose. So the text line of this kind of destroy objective would look like:

Destroy Tank,east,vehicle=T72.

Actually I can see were both kinds of destroy objectives would be useful. The idea I just described for one or two targets. The present way but with it somehow changing to the opposite of what it started as(not neutral) for large areas with many things to destroy.

Hope I am making sense been finishing up my afghan mission, it is horribly late or early in the morning for that matter and I have toothpicks holding my eyes open. Good night.

First a bit of background...

The semantics of the objectives are meant to be that if 'owned' by team, the marker changes colour to reflect the team side and also scores points for that team.

The destroy-objective behaviour is therefore what seems sensible...

* At first it shows the colour of the owning team and is continually scoring points for that team.

* It is up to the other team to 'neutralise' the objective to stop it scoring points

* Once neutralised, destroy objectives can't be taken by any team.

This seemed to me to be a reasonably good mapping of 'real-world' tactics. ie, the enemy has an asset (airfield, vehicle depot etc) which has value until you neutralise it. After it has been neutralised it has no value to anyone. There's generally no requirement to 'hold' or 'capture' such an objective - you just need to bomb it into oblivion ! Also, these kinds of objectives can't generally change sides after being neutralised (short of repairing the runway or fairly large efforts).

Phew... having said all that I can understand why players, particularly when scoring is not involved (ie, co-op) may be confused by the failure to turn blue if they are seeing that as the signal that they have finished with the objective and can move on to the next one.

Things that might improve this....

1) Make the tasks in the map screen actually show objective complete

2) Improve the HUD so that it is clearer that the objective is complete (cross it out ?)

3) Improve the map markers to cross-out a neutralised destroy objective.

You'll notice that none of the above involve turning the marker blue ! :)

4) Add a new keyword/mechanism that means that objectives can't be neutral and must be one side or the other - this would get you the blue marker.

Anyway, have a think about it - I'm pretty keen to go with one or more of 1-3 (or other similar ideas) rather than change the semantics but will 4 if you really want it or have a good argument why it makes sense for destroy objectives to turn to the destroyer side. (Actually maybe I will implement #4 anyway but I'd encourage you to consider the alternatives!)

What about a destroy objective marker with a key word for

an object?

Just so I have understood, this is just meant as a convenience to have the vehicle spawned automatically rather than having to place it in the editor ? Do you see any other differences between this and just creating a small area marker with an editor-placed vehicle inside it ?

Thanks again for the feedback - always useful to get ideas from people who are playing with this :)

@dustoff

Thanks for the info - seems correct. I notice in Tom's release thread there is some suggestion this might be server-specific. I will see if I can play with this tonight.

lol true,true and true lol

Ok i was tired what can I say. Yes just having the check mark on the task list turn green or checked ect would solve any confusion amoung players that are not familiar with the map. Right now since the objectives on the task list do not update, players look at the map or the HUD if you put it up there ( I had to remove mine from afghan mission too many objectives and it took up too much screen space) to determine what has been completed ect. So yea just getting the task list to cooperate would be grand. Thanks, sorry for my ramblings early this morning.

Oh on a coop mission the scoring is a bit uneeded and during play testing several players have asked "why is my score so huge and going up like it is when im just sitting here?", I can remove that by inserting key word score=0 for each capture objective correct? Or is zero not an acceptable number? Have not tried it but thought I would ask. Also I did not check but does a destroy objective score points for the person doing the destroying? Can that also be set to 0 as well?

My community has asked for me to do some TvT matches for those days we don't want to work together but instead kick the booty out of eachother. They have been very impressed by what I have been able to do with your script pack for co-op. Just want to say thanks, you really allow the world of mission making to open up to many like myself who are creative enough but not skilled with scripts in anyway.

**edit

I have a question regarding the ammo markers, saving gear loadout and possibly a favor to ask for the coop part of your script pack. Afghan mission I am finishing up, I have very strict weapons restrictions for the sake of realism. In order to keep that I had to use the game's ammo boxes in order to keep players from getting weapons that they shouldn't. I noticed during testing that it did not save any loadout taken from these boxes. I am assuming because the gear save is connected to your specific ammo box markers?? Preserrve loadout has been set to true. If that is the case , do you think we can get opfor and bluefor versions of ammo boxes? explosives,rocket launchers and guns/misc equip.? I realize for TvT this doesn't make any difference but for coop's especially if your trying to make things somewhat realistic it sure would be helpful. Also ... when restricting weapons via the cfg like turning grenade launchers off is that pertain to the gear available from your ammo box markers? Does it prevent you from obtaining them from your ammo boxes? or also the game?

Edited by AceOfSpades

mac - I believe there is a server sided bug with the time of day scripts. I can run the missions in test mode and even out of test mode, but once on a server the time is midnight or something to that effect. I believe since the addition of the time of day parameter this occured. I will be looking to get a v1.02 out with this fixed if and when you can review. I will try to be on MSN tomorrow to go over it if you are around. Thanks much.

mac - I believe there is a server sided bug with the time of day scripts. I can

run the missions in test mode and even out of test mode, but once on a server

the time is midnight or something to that effect. I believe since the addition

of the time of day parameter this occured. I will be looking to get a v1.02 out

with this fixed if and when you can review. I will try to be on MSN tomorrow to

go over it if you are around. Thanks much.

Tom - yes dustoff also reported this. What would be useful to know is whether this happens on all dedicated servers or whether it only happens on some. The odd thing is that the debug log that dustoff gave me made it look like TOD was being set correctly. I'm pretty sure I tested this yesterday on a local dedicated server and it worked properly but I may be misrembering. Worst case, if you can reproduce it on your server and I can't here is that I may ask you to run some test-scripts for me.

Mac, have you considered upgrading your "anti-gimp" feature to use the setHit command?

It doesn't redistribute damage to my knowledge so your arms don't get messed up by a shot to the legs.

Heal legs:

_unit setHit ["nohy",0]

Heal arms:

_unit setHit ["ruce",0]

I haven't tested them yet though.

Another thing is unlimited MP params in 1.04, not sure if you've started using them.

Tom - yes dustoff also reported this. What would be useful to know is whether this happens on all dedicated servers or whether it only happens on some. The odd thing is that the debug log that dustoff gave me made it look like TOD was being set correctly. I'm pretty sure I tested this yesterday on a local dedicated server and it worked properly but I may be misrembering. Worst case, if you can reproduce it on your server and I can't here is that I may ask you to run some test-scripts for me.

I reset our server 3 times and ran 3 separate missions in different gametypes. They all were at night. I'd be hapy to test some scripts later on. I want to get an update to those who are looking to host these regularly. No pressure bud.

Mac, have you considered upgrading your "anti-gimp" feature to use the setHit command?

It doesn't redistribute damage to my knowledge so your arms don't get messed up by a shot to the legs.

Heal legs:

_unit setHit ["nohy",0]

Heal arms:

_unit setHit ["ruce",0]

I haven't tested them yet though.

Another thing is unlimited MP params in 1.04, not sure if you've started using them.

Celery, actually I stole the anti-gimp code from one of your missions origionally :) Using sethit is a good suggestion - funnily enough I use it already in the anti-suicide and illegal-kill code where I try to respawn players with exactly the same kind (hands/legs etc) of damage as they previously had so I know these functions work ! What might be interesting would be extending anti-gimp to also include anti-hand-shake etc .

Unlimited MP parameters are supported in 2.08 - see the long list of dialog options in the new ctfConfig.sqf files :)

Does this mean we can expect some Celery missions soon ? ;-) I always thought your approach to mission making was quite interesting - DM Disco, that top-down tank DM, zombie DM etc.....

I reset our server 3 times and ran 3 separate missions in different gametypes. They all were at night

Good news that it appears so reproducible - should be fairly straightforward to squash in that case. As i say I will double-check here - obviously if I can reproduce with a local dedi server it's easier to debug.

Celery, actually I stole the anti-gimp code from one of your missions origionally :)

I knew that piece of code looked familiar. :p

What might be interesting would be extending anti-gimp to also include anti-hand-shake etc .

Unlimited MP parameters are supported in 2.08 - see the long list of dialog options in the new ctfConfig.sqf files :)

Does this mean we can expect some Celery missions soon ? ;-) I always thought your approach to mission making was quite interesting - DM Disco, that top-down tank DM, zombie DM etc.....

I'm working on the script template as we speak, the biggest work is implementing all the special features that I'm likely to use in my missions so I can keep scripting and reinventing the wheel to a minimum when I start making deathmatches. Hope you don't mind me making my own, as my missions have some very special needs...

if it helps any, every mission i have put on our dedicated server works fine with proper daytime/nighttime settings, these are co-op if that helps.

Hey Mac can you reply to my prior post regarding ammo box markers and scoring please? thanks.

***edit nm on the score nothing in the cfg and tried setting keyword score=0 on an objective and it still scores points so guess there is no way to change that.

Edited by AceOfSpades

Ace - what version are you running? This has started with v2.08 and the addition of Time Of Day. It is possible you are running 2.08, but I know anything prior to 2.08 is 100% fine. This will help in our troubleshooting later on today. Thanks.

Hope you don't mind me making my own, as my missions have some very special needs...

Of course not but if you want to use the script-pack I'm always open to adding new features or scripting hooks so you can add your own ideas.

Hope you don't mind me making my own, as my missions have some very special needs...

Like a cow with a machine gun :), pissed myself.

Sorry - didn't see the edit...

**edit

I have a question regarding the ammo markers, saving gear loadout and possibly a favor to ask for the coop part of your script pack. Afghan mission I am finishing up, I have very strict weapons restrictions for the sake of realism. In order to keep that I had to use the game's ammo boxes in order to keep players from getting weapons that they shouldn't. I noticed during testing that it did not save any loadout taken from these boxes. I am assuming because the gear save is connected to your specific ammo box markers??

No actually the preserve stuff doesn't care where you got the weapons from. However, you need to understand that the normal preserveLoadout action only happens as you leave your respawn area so if the ammo box has been placed outside, the loadout change won't be noticed. You can use preserveLoadoutOnDeath to try and get round this - it's a bit imperfect because it only looks at your loadout at the time you die (as the name suggests) and tries to reconstruct a sensible loadout based on that - it can't therefore recreate the exact number of rockets/grenades etc you might have chosen from the ammo crate.

Preserrve loadout has been set to true. If that is the case , do you think we can get opfor and bluefor versions of ammo boxes? explosives,rocket launchers and guns/misc equip.? I realize for TvT this doesn't make any difference but for coop's especially if your trying to make things somewhat realistic it sure would be helpful.

<cough> side-specific ammo crates are a long-standing request which I really need to get round to...

Also ... when restricting weapons via the cfg like turning grenade launchers off is that pertain to the gear available from your ammo box markers? Does it prevent you from obtaining them from your ammo boxes? or also the gam

e?

No, those variables only apply to the marker-generated crates.

***edit nm on the score nothing in the cfg and tried setting keyword score=0 on an objective and it still scores points so guess there is no way to change that.

Yes this is currently a 'feature' built into the objectives system. I can change it easily enough in the next release.

My community has asked for me to do some TvT matches for those days we don't want to work together but instead kick the booty out of eachother.

He-he - welcome to the dark side ! It'll be CTF next ;-) Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. (BTW - I would highly recommend Tom's Siege maps - they are very cool.)

They have been very impressed by what I have been able to do with your script pack for co-op. Just want to say thanks, you really allow the world of mission making to open up to many like myself who are creative enough but not skilled with scripts in anyway.

Thanks for the kind words :)

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

HOTFIXES.....

Single-key grenade select... http://dev-heaven.net/attachments/download/2690/disableCommandMode.sqf

Fix for time-of-day lobby dialog defaulting to midnight... http://dev-heaven.net/attachments/download/2691/dlgs.h

Tom - yes version 2.08 and have toggled the time of day on and off to show up in parameters and everything is still working fine. As soon as I get the chance I will test it again as my memory is not all that great but yes, 2.08.

Also have run my mission on our server, time is set to 0630 and that is the time it starts everytime.

Mac- ok , I will keep the ammo boxes in the respawn area or use preserve on death thanks for the info.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

After testing in multiplayer editor preview I cannot get my afghan mission to quit when the objectives are met. I have ctf_domination set to true. These were the parameters that I can think may or may not be effecting it....

Tested in muliplayer editor preview with one mod called lost key activated.

Started mission, activated lost key to use unlimited ammo and ghost mode to breeze through the mission. 1.5 hrs later and over 200 enemy <pant,pant> I have everything turned blue except the one spot that has a hold conditino placed on it, I goto the hold objective, turn it "blue" and wait and wait....

Because of the nature of the mission I have some guerillas that are NOT friendly to blufor but they do not trip the objective markers because they ate not opfor. Using lost key I scan the map and locate the 4 guerillas that still occupy the "blue" objectives..I kill them and run back to hold objective, turn it "blue" still nothing.

The following things I can think maybe made a difference?....

Lost keys ghost mode broke it?? Although I was able to turn the objectives from opfor to blufor controlled with it on, also tried finishing the mission with ghost mode off. One lost keys anomoly tho, when in ghost mode your kills are considered friendly since the enemy cannot see you and your kill score goes into the negative, could this be the cause?

Only other thing I can think of is the destroy objective I had placed. Over the top of it as I mentioned in a prior post, a regular clear enemy objective. Could the two over lapping have something to do with it? Or just the destroy objective being there period?

I have since removed the destroy objective, uploading latest version of mission to dedicated server, a bunch of us will play test it tonite and see if the mission ends or not, if it doesn't then it is definately not connected to the destroy objective.

Two other things I have thought of, in my mission there are counter attacks of opfor (not guerillas) that take back some of the objectives, while play testing they worked and turned them back to opfor controlled. As the players would I went back and killed them turning it back to "blue" then went on with the mission. Could this be a cause? The last thing is one squad of counter attack opfor did not make it from thier starting spot to the objectives,they got lost about a km away. They never touched an objective and did not start in one but I did not go find them on the map and kill them. I just saw them far away on map when I scanned it using lost keys mod.

Thanks

Mac and I went over the Time Of Day issue and he found the bug, we tested, and got it resolved.

Team vs Team Multi-Gametype Mission Pack - Hot fix now at v1.02

Has the Time Of Day fixed and auto switch grenades by hitting the space bar.

The URC download mirror is up to date and soon the Armaholic and Armed Assault Info will be updated. Here is the tracking link.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=87786

Ace...

Basically, if the markers are blue, then it means the game thinks you own the objective and with domination set true, that should be a win condition. Writing this though, I think the issue is the destroy objective you have created. As I wrote earlier, destroy objectives cannot ever be owned except by the initial side, they must be neutralised instead. To allow the game to detect this condition you need to use a slightly weaker version of CTF_allowDominationWin called CTF_allowNeutralisationWin ! Set

CTF_allowNeutralisationWin=true.

This will allow one side to win when all objectives are _either_ owned by that side or neutralised.

BTW - I'm seriously impressed by your stamina ... I normally test by placing all the markers next to each other in the first case ! :)

>Two other things I have thought of, in my mission there are counter attacks of opfor (not guerillas) that take back some of the objectives, while play testing they worked and turned them back to opfor controlled. As

Cool - sounds like a nice mission :)

woot ok, so there may be light here shining down hehe...

if I read what you say Mac, I should be able to insert the destroy objective back in and then set both domination and neutralization to true and then mission should work as originally intended?

hehe hope you can reply to this one soon I might be able to sneak in another version with the above change before our squad night test.

and I sure hope it is a cool mission been working my but off but learning tons in the process :)

gonna try and do a quickie test mission re-creating everything from the problem to solution.

>I should be able to insert the destroy objective back in and then set both domination and neutralization to true

Yes although actually the domination condition is redundant if you have the neutralisation flag set true.

mission is complete and rdy for final testing by squad tonite.

I ran some tests and this is what I did/found...(some of this may want to make it into manual)

I recreated a test mission using a copy of the script pack from the last version of my mission. I set respawn point, then the following objectives.

1st obj named rally point and is neutral until take.

2nd obj. named obj 2 and set to east controlled

3rd obj. named destroy this set to east controlled with a bmp inside it

4th obj. named obj 4 set to east controlled and overlapping 3rd obj

this is pretty much a mini replica minus a good amount of objectives in my mission but every different "type" is reflected minus one hold objective.

1st test dominate set true, neutral set false started completed objectives it did not work just like my mission.

2nd test both dominate and neutral set to true , started game and it went strait to the ending and would not allow you to play.

3rd test left cfg both to true but changed the rally point to blufor owned, started mission , completed objectives and got ending.

4th test just incase it hadnt been tested yet and for my own curiosity, I left cfg's set to true but moved the destroy obj. out from under obj 4. started and played,completed,got ending.

So.. a note might need to be made if it is not already there, that an objective cannot start out as neutral IF you use any destroy objective. You CAN have an objective start as neutral but only if you DO NOT use a destroy objective.

Mission test went well only a few minor tweaks suggested..

but a few things were noticed. In this mission players are under restrictions not to use explosives in town, I have eliminated all ways to get explosives thru ammo boxes besides what the mission specifically calls for unless a player picks up gear from a dead soldier. I have the starting weapon as "" so marksmen starts with dmr ect. I have ctf_grenades=0 but players still start with grenades, as well as saveloadout not working even though I had ammo box in respawn area. This ammo box btw was not one of yours since I needed one with just satchels and mines( U.S. Ordnance Ammo Box). Also is there a way to prevent players from grabbing gear from deadmen? For now I just changed to save on death instead.

One bug was noticed but not sure what you can do about it. When in a coop squad the squad leaders can still access command funtions by using the squad keys. Not sure if this is even worth messing with, only affects squad leaders.

One person on start up could not access thier map at the paradrop deployment marker. They had to leave server and come back in, then it worked fine. No one has ever had this problem before, think it was just a fluke maybe.

This mission will be up on Armahaulic friday or saturday at the latest if you wish to try it out with some friends. I recondmend 8+ guys to "feel" all the stuff I put in mission has a max capacity of 15 and make sure everyone has a six-pack to boot and 2-3 hrs. You will need the caa1 mod set that allows you to run arma 1 maps ect and also the afghani 1.5 mod as that is the map that is used as well as desert USMC mod for the uniforms. All of these can be gotten on armahaulic. Wish list...... desert enemy uniforms and turban wearing guerillas.

So I had some time and thought I would take a look into the TvT that some folks are requesting we have. I am very intersted in the rugby gamemode. Hope you don't mind me re-naming it football, even though rugby is played here in the US , doesn't mean too many folks have even heard of it LoL. I was wondering a few things..... I was messing around in a rugby I created, I had copied your borders exactly by merging missions with a blank one on the map I wanted and then moved it all and arranged ect. So I know the markers are right. As I was messing around with this and that I thought I would fire some shots into the opposite sides spawn border and nothing happened but I did blow up when I entered. I am assuming that you only die when you fire and hit someone??

Also I would really like to take the football idea a bit farther and was wondering if this was possible....I would like 2 flag return spots for each side. 1 that would score 3 points if you take the flag to it and it would be placed closer to the flag spawn point and the other flag return spot would score 7 points and would naturally be placed farther away and closer to the opposing forces spawn area making it easier to defend. Is this possible? I would imagine you could change the score with the keyword score=3 or 7? But can you have that many flag return spots?

Thanks alot, I swear this pack of yours amazes me and man is makign a TvT map a breeze in comparison to my coop lol.

I ran some tests and this is what I did/found...(some of this may want to make it into manual)

To be honest, keeping the manual up to date is something I really struggle with. I am toying with the idea of making it a google-doc that anyone can edit in the hope that there might be enough community interest in improving it. It's a truism that the worst person to write a document is the developer - things that are 'obvious' to them are the ones that cause the most confusion for their users !

Anywa, if you (or anyone else) genuinely thinks you might be interested in adding to the manual, let me know and I will put the effort into doing the google-conversion.

I recreated a test mission using a copy of the script pack from the last version

of my mission. I set respawn point, then the following objectives.

1st obj named rally point and is neutral until take.

2nd obj. named obj 2 and set to east controlled

3rd obj. named destroy this set to east controlled with a bmp inside it

4th obj. named obj 4 set to east controlled and overlapping 3rd obj

I think you are misunderstanding what is happening. :) It helps if you think of the ownership (state) of each of the objectives... The initial state you have described is:-

1:neutral, 2:east, 3:east, 4:east

This counts as a neutralisation win for east ! (All objectives are either owned by one side or neutral remember.) That is why you see the game end immediately on startup in one of your tests.

The way to get around this is simply to create a 'dummy' objective which is always owned by west (call it "west-HQ" or something). Then you have an initial state of:

1:neutral, 2:east, 3:east, 4:east, 5:west

This is neither a domination win nor a neutralisation win snce there is mixture of sides. As west gradually neutralise or take the objectives, you will eventually get to:-

1:west, 2:west, 3:neutral, 4:west, 5:west

This is obviously a neutralisation win for west which is the result you want.

I have the starting weapon as "" so marksmen starts with dmr ect. I have ctf_grenades=0 but players still start with grenades,

The grenades are treated as part of the weapon loadout - using "" means that the player is left with the exact same loadout as specified in the editor. It is possible to remove just grenades with some init scripting but may be easier if I put some thought into making the loadout stuff more flexible.

saveloadout not working even though I had ammo box in respawn area.

If you can send a minimal example of this I can look at it.

Also is there a way to prevent players from grabbing gear from deadmen?

Not at the moment although I can definitely look into ways to move to a more 'class-based' mechanism where only certain loadouts are allowed for players

When in a coop squad the squad leaders can still access command funtions by using the squad keys.

Hmmm - not sure what you mean by this (I don't play squad based co-op enough!) Could you describe a bit more ?

I am very intersted in the rugby gamemode. Hope you don't mind me re-naming it football,

ha-ha - of course not :)

I am assuming that you only die when you fire and hit someone??

Correct.

Also I would really like to take the football idea a bit farther and was wondering if this was possible....I would like 2 flag return spots for each side.

That's a great idea! At the moment the rugby mode is hard-coded to only use one scoring flag per team but actually extending it would be quite easy and I will definitely look at doing this.

Blimey - you have given me a huge amount to work on. Hope you can be a bit patient for the next release - I'm in the middle of a big rewrite for V3 and need to get things stable again before adding new features.

I would be more than happy to help out with a manual, not sure how the google thing works would imagine like wiki. A few folks are asking me how I got last nights mission done, you will be having a few more people download your pack soon I would think. I was actually thinking about writing a how-to for making coop's with your script pack and post on our community.

Mac asked:

Hmmm - not sure what you mean by this (I don't play squad based co-op enough!) Could you describe a bit more ?

.... If the squad leader presses one of the squad command buttons ( F1 - F12 ) he will still get the riing with distance shown ect, just like when you press the space bar. The space bar goes into command mode and highlights all squad members, the F keys do the same for individual squad members on the leaders control. This applies to only those that would be able to issue commands.

Ok, a rough version of the manual is available at:-

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg9863vb_8cmnwqh26

Link for editing is:-

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AXuh3Vk4j3BUZGc5ODYzdmJfOGNtbndxaDI2&hl=en

It's similar in concept to a wiki - feel free just to dive in and edit things ! There is revision history so you don't need to worry about breaking anything. I have made it an 'open' document so that anyone can change (improve) it. I hope eventually to structure it a bit better with a page per subject though it's not clear that this is really possible with google-docs.

>I was actually thinking about writing a how-to for making coop's with your script pack and post on our community.

It would be great if you would consider making this a chapter in the manual ! :)

Edited by sbsmac

Yea, I will work on it Mac, least I can do. Must say tho, probably won't get started on anything until monday morning my next whole day off. I wanna get some notes together I'm a note whore cause my memory is non por caca.