Sign in to follow this  
xy20032004

How to increase LOD of trees and grasses?

Video settings have been set to max, all very high. Under this condition, how can I increase the LOD of trees and grasses to a higher level???

Patch 1.02 decreased the LOD of trees and grasses, they are now not so clear as in 1.01. Anyone knows which PBO file to modify, please share it with eveyone who cares image quality very much? Thanks!!!

i'd love to know how to EXTAND the view distance of GRASS beyond V.high.

i hope we get our answer or that someone can make a mod for that.

Changing the distance of grasses is very easy. Open the two islands' PBO files, the one which contains the 'wrp' file, unbin the 'config.bin', modify clutter distance from its original 125 to whatever your pc can handle. I set mine to 200. You can modify a lot of things in the 'config.cpp' file and of course you can only play offline.

The question is where to modify the LOD distance of trees and grasses?????????????

By the way, I tried increasing the view distance of grass to 300, but in game I can only see about 200, those beyond 200 can not be seen. I guess its the LOD distance limit.

I also set the game view distance to 5000, but those trees beyond 2000 are in the lowest LOD, which looks not so good. (FPS is not the question, I preffer quality more than FPS. FPS above 20 is ok.)

If we can find out where to modify LOD distance of trees and grasses, the image quality of AA2 would go up to a better level for high end pcs.

I love fighting against AI, feeling I am the god of the game world, personal taste, of course.

For those things, they can all be packed into one mod, you can enable or disable it as your wish. Hope some can do it, I don't konw how. That's why I modify the origin PBO files directly.

Edited by xy20032004

Trees in teh distance on nearby mountain sides look like a bushfire has raged through it, all black graound and sparse bare tree coverage but as you run towards it trees start popping in and the whiole seen changes, bit of a visual turn off really.

We need extra low-q grass (even a 2m x 1m blob) to render from the end of the normal stuff out to about 1km or something, a "mask" was mentioned somewhere also, though I forget by whom.

Close = oustanding

Far = outstanding

mid = omfg it's from the 90's!!!

In short ... looks terrible at mid distance.

We need extra low-q grass (even a 2m x 1m blob) to render from the end of the normal stuff out to about 1km or something, a "mask" was mentioned somewhere also, though I forget by whom.

Close = oustanding

Far = outstanding

mid = omfg it's from the 90's!!!

In short ... looks terrible at mid distance.

yeah. i agree that once grass is gone it looks like dongs.

even small bits of grass that take the color of the ground would help. this is the patent FARCRY2 and CRYSIS used to help the visuals. the grass gets the color of the texture beneath it so it kinda blends better.

p.s. - XY20032004 , i PMed you.

thanks xy20032004 for the guide on how to do this, i managed to extract the chernarus.pbo and i changed the clutter distance too 200 in the CfgWorlds.hpp file. Is this the right thing to do?

I dont know how to repack the files now so that its a new version of

chernarus.pbo, i looked all over the place on how to do this but its not very straight forward and noob friendly, any help would be appreciated.

btw do you think you could provide a screen shot of the before and after differences of this affect?

yes id also like a guide on how to increase grass draw distance, some screen of before and after would also be great !!!

AI viewblock grass is essential, in my opinion. I hate playing without grass - it looks so 1990's.

Also, an alpha fade on incoming trees and foliage would be nice instead of the startling pop-in.

Grass, grass, grass FTW!

yes id also like a guide on how to increase grass draw distance, some screen of before and after would also be great !!!

anyone able to explain how to do this nice and simply pls ?