Sign in to follow this  
mcbane

Is a "real" scope possible?

Or sarcasm if you want, like "this guy can't even read how could he succeed at anything" that what I call sarcams or being satiric.

Got it ?

Edit: maxpower, I never wanted to stimulate your childishness .. I'm not a teacher so if you don't get it, you must be stupid, open a dictionary and try to figure out the numerous meanings and use of this word with your two numbers IQ. No need to thank me.

It's not really "real" though [...] But it seemed like you were suggesting a "real life like" scope when your zoomed in and technically your closing one eye, with the target eye focused flush with the scope soy our not going to be seeing anything... that's accurate and is how Arma 2 shows it.

In real life when you bring up your rifle you can still leaving the sights up but checking your surroundings. That's why optics like Acog or aimpoints with little magnification can't be showed accurately in Arma2.

I think I've read somewhere that in combat situation you keep your both eyes open even while aiming optics except for far targets when the guy is really small so you need max concentration on one eye.

But maybe some real soldiers could enlight us on this ?

Edited by dunedain

Really, because I thought that satire, being, you know, a critique, had to be true. I thought that was, you know, the necessary conditions for satire... you know... the definition of satire. I was just wondering if you understand now how what you were doing before wasn't at all satire and was simply whining. Perhaps in the future you should substitute the word 'colicky' for 'satiric'.

Edited by Max Power

"I think I've read somewhere that in combat situation you keep your both eyes open even while aiming optics except for far targets when the guy is really small so you need max concentration on one eye."

Both eyes can be used while aiming through a scope without magnification (aimpoint), you cant use both eyes, while one is trying to focus on (lets say) 6x zoom and the other around unzoomed. That is why a huge sniper rifle zoom is completely unrealistic while being able to see the close surroundings. "The best way" for a solution here i would see is the way BIS handled it except for the black part around optics will be brutally blurred by postprocessing effects (although zoomed the same as optics to safe performance). That way you will still keep your other eyes peripheral vission, although a bit cut

There was a series of weapon addons made for OFP that implemented this "real scope" look - They basically just replaced the all black vignette of scopes (what we see in ARMA II as is) with a semi-transparent grey vignette. With ARMA II and it's postprocessing effects, no doubt this idea can be improved upon.

For me though, I like it as it is - I can use an aimpoint and have peripheral vision, wheras with an ACOG I cannot, feels perfectly reasonable to me.

For me though, I like it as it is - I can use an aimpoint and have peripheral vision, wheras with an ACOG I cannot, feels perfectly reasonable to me.

The problem with that, and at the heart of the crosshair debate raging elsewhere IMO, is that your unscoped position is so far to one side. You should be able to aim over your optic using the scope/weapon itself as a rudimentary CQB ironsight. As it is, magnified optics are overly penalised in CQB when crosshairs are disabled.

The problem with that is that part of the whole reason the USMC uses ACOGs is because it is meant to be used with both eyes open like the screenshots from the beginning of the thread. For Sniper rifles the blacked out thing works OK, but specifically for the ACOG it does not. For those who don't know the ACOG is meant to be fired with both eyes open, except at extreme distance, and the view does look like the scopes in Red Orchestra.

The problem with that is that part of the whole reason the USMC uses ACOGs is because it is meant to be used with both eyes open like the screenshots from the beginning of the thread. For Sniper rifles the blacked out thing works OK, but specifically for the ACOG it does not. For those who don't know the ACOG is meant to be fired with both eyes open, except at extreme distance, and the view does look like the scopes in Red Orchestra.

Except, of course, that you cannot focus on the scope image and the surrounding image at the same time. What would be cool is if you could click right mouse once to bring up the ACOG and have it appear as the Aimpoint does (no zoom, surrounding visible), except with scope body/reticle slightly out of focus and partially transparent (you would still be able to aim with the bright red chevron against the in-focus, 1x background), then if you hold down right mouse, you zoom in to 4x magnification with the scope reticle in focus, but I doubt this is possible.

Edited by akd42