Sign in to follow this  
krizzo

Question: Disabling "Reveal Target" on Server Side?

Any ideas on disabling this feature on a vanilla arma 2 server?

In any game, no matter how realistic, there has to be a way to represent knowledge and intrinsic awareness that a group/unit will have. In real life, enemy units are spotted, intelligence about the location, size, strength, direction, capabilities etc are relayed to all relevent units in the vicinity. In the case of less technologically advanced armed forces this is still done, using different methods.

In Arma2, all of this combined knowledge on the battlefield would be far to cumbersome to report and clog communication channels/text chat so the reveal enemy system is a very good way to represent this.

Turning it off would seem to be trying to take the realism so far it impedes teamwork, communication and the flow of the battle, by blinding players and making them unable to recieve information from their team.

In fact, I don't like when servers turn off the squad icons for the same reason. There are so many factors in real life, both situationally and technologically that would give a soldier an intrinsic awareness of where their squad mates are, and in game when this is turned off, it isolates squads and ends up causing a random spread of players to attack rather than well coordinated squads.

There is no other way to simulate the training, practice, indoctrination of military units and the skills they build at being aware of each others presence on the battlefield other than having an icon on screen in game. This should be on as well.

Heck, he asks about how to do it. Not what people's thoughts about doing so are. Give the OP a break.

Unfortunately I can't help though. Looked quickly at the dedicated server and server.cfg wiki pages, but couldn't see anything about micromanaging difficulty settings. Good luck though :)

Why? Are you serious? It's like battlefield for xbox with the red icons above the enemy.

Not even going to try any more pvp multiplayer till this crap is optional.

There might be alot intel available but to be able to tell me there's a goat on the hill at 2500 m is crap.

Another "What were they thinking!"

Mac. Just play at a server using Veteran or Expert difficulty settings, or with difficulty settings modified to disable the spotting/auto-spotting...

Why do everyone persintently think that parts of the game suck, when what they think suck are OPTIONS that can be ON or OFF?

Ya ok ,tell me (and the op) how to disable it......

Maybe we say parts of it suck because it does,think of that?

Now dont get me wrong,I'm digging this game but ...

The devs should have their heads checked for a couple things such as..

The spacebar scanning bullshit in MP-that is just plain stupid.

The squaddy dies and save/load dance in single player campaign.

Reminds me of Call of duty or Battlefield for xbox

For what purpose ?

Some of the smaller AAS maps could benefit if this feature were disabled....

Any ideas on disabling this feature on a vanilla arma 2 server?

I think it's in your "Server.ArmA2Profile"

And the section with "class Difficulties"

It might be that your thinking of:

FriendlyTag=0;

EnemyTag=0;

AutoSpot=0;

Is this what your thinking of??

If it is, you have to edit these for recruit and regular

I think it's in your "Server.ArmA2Profile"

And the section with "class Difficulties"

It might be that your thinking of:

FriendlyTag=0;

EnemyTag=0;

AutoSpot=0;

Is this what your thinking of??

If it is, you have to edit these for recruit and regular

Not exactly, there is a control labeled "reveal target". When activated, it reveals information {distance,class} of what is beneath the player's cross-hairs. Spamming this key can reveal locations of targets in cover and behind buildings. I'd like to disable this control.

That can't be disabled. However with EnemyTag=0 I suppose that there would be no marker for revealed targets on the map, no?

Not exactly, there is a control labeled "reveal target". When activated, it reveals information {distance,class} of what is beneath the player's cross-hairs. Spamming this key can reveal locations of targets in cover and behind buildings. I'd like to disable this control.

Really? I did not know that. Not that I would use it if I knew about it but whatever...

And what's the story with spacebar scanning? When I place space I only see my unit selected.

I think this issue is the same I posted here

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=77965

and would really know if there is a way to disable this feature

Of course we have this selected

FriendlyTag=0;

EnemyTag=0;

AutoSpot=0;

but I confirm and quote what written by

I think there could not be any serious competition with this feature activated, don't you think?

Maybe we can make a petition or something to developers for a patch to fix it

has this control been disabled in Arma 2: OA?

Maybe we can make a petition or something to developers for a patch to fix it

Search on it, it has been basically discussed to death with good sides and bad sides. Also make a big note on how it's not accurate information, and that it is a really nice feature with anything involving AI since you can't communicate with AI the way we can ask questions to a human.

Personally, I'd like to see it gone, since I prefer AI free coops, and it just feels like cheating. But I won't reject the good sides about it when it is used "as intended".

Btw, it can be prevented on within a mission. Xeno had it as a difficulty option earlier (haven't checked lately) in his Domination mission.

Spamming this key can reveal locations of targets in cover and behind buildings. I'd like to disable this control.

Not really.

It makes the engine do a check of the knowlodge your unit has of ennemy unit, like your unit was an AI. So you benefit from the approximations of the engine concerning detection, like AI does.

But you will not magically spot a unit behind a building from nowhere. the engine must determine you have a clue of ennemy presence from something. Not from thin air.

Certain legends really really should be put to a stop...

Not really.

It makes the engine do a check of the knowlodge your unit has of ennemy unit, like your unit was an AI. So you benefit from the approximations of the engine concerning detection, like AI does.

But you will not magically spot a unit behind a building from nowhere. the engine must determine you have a clue of ennemy presence from something. Not from thin air.

Certain legends really really should be put to a stop...

Not entirely true. It is SUPPOSED to work as you say. But a lot of the time the engine sees something you do not, like people in cover or in good concealment. I've lost count on how many times auto-spotting has spotted targets I didn't have the slightest clue about, and to press the revealTarget-key does just the same as auto-spotting, but under user-control.

Thus I can 'cheat-spot' people I wouldn't otherwise see due to their fantastic hiding. A good enough reason for me to have unbound revealTarget completely from my keyboard since it serves no purpose other than cheating.

Edited by Inkompetent