Sign in to follow this  
vanstone

Random Mission generator?

I remember in ofp you could generate random missions in the wizard editor. But I can’t seem to do it in arma 2 Is this not a feature in the game? It was a great feature that I miss a lot.

It is still in there, and better than ever before. The wizard missions also contain the main modules by default.

You find it under Single Player > Szenarios > My Missions

It is still in there, and better than ever before. The wizard missions also contain the main modules by default.

It's called COMBAT within that structure. REALLY enjoyable too !

It's called COMBAT within that structure. REALLY enjoyable too !

Is it possible to make this work with coop? This is one of the best features and adds tons of replayability, but not being able to use it in coop like campaign realy sucks. :(

You can make such a mission by your own in the editor. It does not need a lot of experience, just add the modules you want.

You just need the second objective module and the combat environment Module for this kind of mission. It you like you can also use the A.L.I.C.E and S.I.L.V.I.E modules.

To make such a mission can be done in 10 Minutes.

When you host a multi player server and it asks you to choose your map, a wizard option is there to create different styles of missions instantly.

The one that is coop based is typically called seize the area. Thats the most coop friendly one if you want to work with friends rather than against them.

Butalso as beagle said. if you add in the second objective module with the combat eviorment module, its a coop mission that never ends. All you would need to do is create your units and create a spawn point and your good to go.

But the wizard is there as an easy click it and go mission also.

Could you be more specific? My missions folder is empty until I save something in the editor there.

Could you be more specific? My missions folder is empty until I save something in the editor there.

Its not in the missions folder... its all in game...

Its not in the missions folder... its all in game...

Then is there a Random Mission Generator or are people just talking about the Editor? I've heard of templates and wizards on the wiki site, but no sign of them in-game.

Yeah, could you mission editing expert overlords be more specific to us worthless n00bs? I'd love to know more about this random mission generator and how to set it up in MP for Coop games.

No offense to anyone, but almost every web resource I've seen assumes that the reader is at least competent. Am I missing some good tutorials somewhere, or is this just the usual side effect of a tight-knit, niche community?

There is no "ramdom mission generator" so to speak (at least not one where you just click one button).

You can use the wizzard to gererate a quick little mission (of various types, flag capture, seize area, team play, coop, etc). It's very simple to use and it works in SP or MP.

On a dedicated server you can configure it to list stored missions from a "pool". But they still have to be created by somebody (the game won't "randomly generate" them).

Just tried it out. GREAT!:D We had to call in airsupport to destroy some Russian artillery, and on our way back to the helo extraction we ran in to a bunch of enemy tanks, and we all died :P

There is no "ramdom mission generator" so to speak (at least not one where you just click one button).

You can use the wizzard to gererate a quick little mission (of various types, flag capture, seize area, team play, coop, etc). It's very simple to use and it works in SP or MP.

On a dedicated server you can configure it to list stored missions from a "pool". But they still have to be created by somebody (the game won't "randomly generate" them).

How do you access the SP wizard?

My bad. MP-only I guess (SP would just be the preview).

Back in ArmA1 I tinkered with converting the wizzard missions into normal pbo's so I could edit them and run them on my dedicated server. It was a huge pain in the arse, though (the wizzard stuff goes back to OPFP code).

How do you access the SP wizard?

Click single player,then scenarios

Then double click 'my missions' :)

Is the combat section totally random, within an area that one specifies on the map. Random as in number of opposing troops - how many mission types are there ?

Relatively random. You can change your start point to whatever you want (although be careful, some places causes the insertion helicopter to crash before you can dismount). The objectives spawn within a certain distance of you, so even if you insert in the SW and work your way to the big airfield the objectives will still be less than 1km away. Number of troops are random I believe as well, but I could be wrong on that. Mission types I've seen are search and rescue downed aircraft, rescue prisoners and extract them, destroy enemy position, help defend friendly position, and follow the waypoints. There might be more that I haven't seen though.

i'll try to help with the mission editor a bit for the newer guys, since im new too:

A really quick way to set up skirmishes in the editor (for real beginners):

Open the editor

press F1 to be able to place units including the ones u can control.

in the map u double click on the surface to place the units. u need to select their side, category and type. this can be figured out easily. u can also select their skill.

make sure one of the units is "PLAYER" to control it. u can also choose a few "PLAYABLE" units to be able to switch between them while playing.

notice that u can select units and press ctrl+c to copy them and ctrl+v to paste.

holding shift will allow to rotate units and waypoints and such.

when placing a few units u can link them to groups with F2. just drag a line from the soldiers into the leader of the group. the cyan line represent who they follow. link a few troops to the same soldier to have him be the squad leader.

now way points. u must give every unit (or the squad leader, which represents the entire unit) at least 1 way point or the AI will be brain dead and wouldnt know how to act. AP doesnt just tell the AI where to go but how to behave.

select squad leaders and give them way points (pressing F4 and double clicking on the surface) telling them where to go. a move command is easy and u can place the last way point near one of the former way points and choose that last way point as CYCLE and the units will go from that cycle way point to the nearest WP and patrol on the same way points again and again until engaged.

i recommand a GUARD way points (last in list). its most simple use is to set units to be at that location but if any other unit on the field (on the same side) encounters a rival unit than all guarding units will know of their whereabouts and engage them.

with GUARD all u need to do is just place a GUARD WP and that's it. just one is enough.

next is triggers that can set when the mission ends (among many other things). the most simple winning condition is when all enemies within an area are dead.

u place a trigger (F3) and set its size from 50X50 to something else. bigger.

then u set it from "none" to , for example "OPFOR" and below to "not present"

and in the type of the trigger beloew u set "END1".

this means that if the opfor are not present withing the trigger area than the mission ends.

really simple and can be done in 5 minutes or less.

about the random missions -

u can choose F1, than instead of OPFOR or BLUFOR u choose - "game logic" and instead of "locations" u set "modules" and on the right u choose "secondary ops" or something like that.

u place this "unit" on the ground and it will look like a blue square. press F5 so SYNC that blue square to the unit which is the PLAYER. that's it. now when u r playing that module will give u secondary ops.

for far more details about triggers, units and waypoints check this:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Mission_Editor_-_User_Interface 

Edited by topeira

can you respawn in these 'random' missions ?, Im finding them quite hard and die early on.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Nice post Top - it is just this kind of basic easily read and digestable material that newcomers to editing need. I am just bowled over by scripts and triggers that even the 300 odd page ARMA1 editing guide is just not simplified enough. I recall for OFP there was a tutorial online for mission making, showing every single step - one for ARMA2 would be great.

u can only create them in the editor and set a few of your teammates as PLAYABLE so once your guy dies u switch to the next.

and after u complete an objective u can as for reinforcement in the command menu (bottom option) and get more guys to replace your dead ones.

So I cannot continue to play on in the random missions, shame, as a lot of the work is done for you. And Im not good enough to stay alive.

I am fairly comfortable using the "real editor" - so please no responses telling me that I should learn to use it "because the wizard is for noobs".

But just out of curiosity I would like to know how do you actually change waypoint behaviour in the sp wizard? When you create waypoints (RMB) in the wizard and edit them (by doubling clicking LMB)there seems to be no way to close the waypoint editing dialogue. Pressing escape seems to be the only way to close it, but this doesn't save any changes made to the waypoints.

I am fairly comfortable using the "real editor" - so please no responses telling me that I should learn to use it "because the wizard is for noobs".

But just out of curiosity I would like to know how do you actually change waypoint behaviour in the sp wizard? When you create waypoints (RMB) in the wizard and edit them (by doubling clicking LMB)there seems to be no way to close the waypoint editing dialogue. Pressing escape seems to be the only way to close it, but this doesn't save any changes made to the waypoints.

i was puzzled by this as well and had the same issue myself, but since u can create the same type of missions in the full editor so easily why would u bother with the wizzard.

if there is a type of mission u see in the wizzard abd u'd like to create in the full editor but dont know how than just PM me or say so here. i'll be glad to help :)

Hi topeira. Thanks for the offer!

I know how to create the "combat" style mission in the editor using secops modules etc. What is nice about the wizard is a sense of randomness. When you create your own missions it can get a bit boring because you know where you placed things, even when using the modules.

I would still really like to know how you adjust waypoints in the wizard. I couldn't figure out how to do it in A1 either. Is it possible that this is a bug?