Sign in to follow this  
mattyh1986

How Satisfied with Arma2 Are you??

How Satisfied with ARMA2 are you!?  

1194 members have voted

1. 1. How Satisfied with ARMA2 are you!?

• Extremely , Awesome game! no problems what so every
    • Good game, Some problems ive managed to over come now running smooth
    • Some problems but I just deal with it and get on, game is still enjoyable
    • Love the game but problem are sucking the fun from it
    • Completely unplayable, want my money back, desperatly need patches!
    • Given up will never buy BIS products again.

I keep crashing every time I save the game in the campaign, but not in the scenarios.

I wish I was better at the mission editor, I could make my own fun missions if it wasn't such a hard tool. Oh well...

Other than that, it's quite fun to play. The AI could use some tweaking though, so it's as good as Brothers in Arms for example.

It's not "such a hard tool". Of course, the mission editing thread may frighten you with all the scripting, modules and commands, but try to use ONLY waypoints and triggers, synchronizing (F5) WP with WP or WP with triggers, grouping (F2) groups ou units and triggers. There are a few good tutorials here and there (even Ofp missions tutorials are enough).

Once you understand how these (simple ?) things work, you'll look into more advanced commands.

For example, do you know that you can have a lot of fun only with guarding WP or triggers : see the hereunder quote from the old forum (sorry, don't remember who posted this...)

Guarded by _x:

This trigger is used with the GUARD waypoint and works as shown in the following example. First, let's say you have 3 groups (West) that each have reached a GUARD waypoint. As you've probably seen, that'll make them hang around a bit, and come to the rescue of other nearby units if needed (after which they'll return to their GUARD location).

Second, put down 2 triggers, and change their type to "Guarded by West". No other changes really needed.

Now the interesting part; two of the groups will move to these triggers' locations, each group to its closest trigger, to guard it (that is, any nearby friendlies under attack). The third group, the one farthest away from the two "Guarded by"-triggers, will stay put.

Let's say that one of the two groups at the "Guarded by"-triggers is killed. The two remaining groups will reorganize, each moving to its closest "Guarded by"-trigger. That could even mean that a group will leave its current location at a "Guarded by"-trigger to move to another "Guarded by"-trigger, it this group is closest to the second trigger than any other group.

As you see, "Guarded by"-triggers are a convenient way to set up terrain objectives for AI squads, without having to do a lot of work. They can also be used to heavily randomize a mission.

AFAIK, "Guarded by"-triggers will never go off, and only their type is important. Everything else seem to be ignored, unfortunately including radius. Note that you can group a "Guarded by"-trigger with a unit, with expected results

I keep crashing every time I save the game in the campaign, but not in the scenarios.

I wish I was better at the mission editor, I could make my own fun missions if it wasn't such a hard tool. Oh well...

Other than that, it's quite fun to play. The AI could use some tweaking though, so it's as good as Brothers in Arms for example.

I would like to know what AI in BIA you are refering to? The only thing the AI does in that game is run upto the fence/hedge/whatever and start shooting and duck down.

And 90% of the time they face the wrong direction and get owned... although they were better in Hell's Highway.

AI in BIA:HH? You're joking right?

They are all scripted to take up pre assigned positions. How does this compare to A2 in any way?

HH is practically a "rail shooter". I'm not saying it's bad or anything. It was a good few hours of entertainment but it's about as linear as it gets.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

This trigger is used with the GUARD waypoint and works as shown in the following example. First, let's say you have 3 groups (West) that each have reached a GUARD waypoint. As you've probably seen, that'll make them hang around a bit, and come to the rescue of other nearby units if needed (after which they'll return to their GUARD location).

Second, put down 2 triggers, and change their type to "Guarded by West". No other changes really needed.

Now the interesting part; two of the groups will move to these triggers' locations, each group to its closest trigger, to guard it (that is, any nearby friendlies under attack). The third group, the one farthest away from the two "Guarded by"-triggers, will stay put.

Let's say that one of the two groups at the "Guarded by"-triggers is killed. The two remaining groups will reorganize, each moving to its closest "Guarded by"-trigger. That could even mean that a group will leave its current location at a "Guarded by"-trigger to move to another "Guarded by"-trigger, it this group is closest to the second trigger than any other group.

I just heard this popping sound and now I have what looks to be brain matter oozing from my ears. :D

I was jazzed about BIA:HH before it came out but completely blew it off when I heard they "abandoned" co-op. I'm glad I did.

Not that it's troubleshooting related, but BIA:HH is a really good game. It is a linear shooter but the story is extremely well done (think Brothers in Arms TV series for those who saw that)

Not that it's troubleshooting related, but BIA:HH is a really good game. It is a linear shooter but the story is extremely well done (think Brothers in Arms TV series for those who saw that)

I think you mean the Band of Brothers TV series ;)

yeah it's a pretty good game; but VERY linear. Also if your squad members die during the mission, they magically revive on the next one (unless of course their death is scripted). And dropping co-op was probably on the the dumbest decisions they made

Still gives out a few hours of fun though; but the AI definitely doesn't compare to Arma, even with their shortfalls

Edited by No Use For A Name

I hate to repeat myself, but if you don't enjoy playing it.... don't play it. Myself, I'm having a blast playing it, but if I started encountering game breaking problems, then I'd ask for help, wait for a fix, or stop playing and play something. But then again, I have cognative thought.

Wow, you really are thick, aren't you. Nobody gives a shit if you can play the game or not. People have reported game breaking problems, with nothing but placebo solutions. Some people didn't plunk down $50 bucks to play the game in 2 years, or to be unpaid beta testers, they have the right to complain anywhere and anytime they wish. The latest patch even broke the game more for fucks sake.

Then again, I shouldn't be surprised that you would be defending the devs. Morons usually do defend morons.

Yes, insulting everyone you can is a sure way to get the result (and attention) that you are seeking.

On topic: Very.

Morons usually do defend morons.

Who's the moron? The moron or the moron that posts after him?

Obviously you're looking to start a flame war, but I won't bother linking that reversal of your own statement.

Anyways, as I was quoted out of context, my post was stating that if people complain about not liking the game then they can just not play the game. My response was in no way directed at people who have bugs preventing them from playing the game.

And more importantly, complaining that one doesn't like the game in the troubleshooting forum has no actual relation to troubleshooting. If you wish to use these forums, then follow the rules, if you disagree with that, then invite me over to your house and I'll be happy to pee in your sink as rules obviously don't matter to you.

---------- Post added at 03:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

EDIT : i should add that my original quote was the wrong person. I didn't actually mean to quote the person complaining about bugs, and I only just now realised that I quoted the wrong person, for which I apologise.

Nothing wrong with your processor. It's enough for ANYTHING out there, except for Arma 2. Thats the dev's fault, not yours or the hardware makers.

Badly coded is badly coded, It's not the hardware makers job to make their products fit for the programs, but the other way around. Something that BIS and alot of the fanboys can't get through their heads, seems like blaming your hardware is a common response to a buggy unfinished game.

Badly coded ...

Did you ever see the code?

No, you have not.

Would you be able to evaluate the code when you could see it?

No, you would not.

So .. what are you exactly doing.

You comparing "games" where you push left mouse button to have a big bang.

That's all they have in common.

Did you ever understand what a an open-world-game is?

Did you ever understand what a complex structure an open-world-game is?

I am not sure about this.

But you are posting like you would do understand that.

This game is sure much better than you may ever know.

And you simply "forgot" that AIs behaviour consumes a lot of cpu power.

They react individually to their individual environment "seen" by them individually in every single second. Part of this environment are other AIs behaving individually on their own in relation to their current "task" and their individual environment. In every second and less of it - you got it? Feeling a bit in a circle? Yeah - and that's what a cpu does feel too. But the outcome is quite overwhelming right now and will be more in the future.

Just place yourself as a CIVI on the tower at Utes airport and place left and right a group of OPFOR and BLUFOR. A fight of more than *long* ten minutes may arise ... and you may see that they act like intelligent individuals. They hide, they run up from behind ... they wait and they rush.

You probably will never know how complicate it is to program a computer "doing" such things and how cpu-consuming this is.

But give it a simple, small try.

Deliver us your optimized code ... and we will review it.

Edited by Herbal Influence

Not my job. It's yours(you sound like you work here)

How many patches since release ? How many beta patches ? Sounds to me like you delivered an unfinished buggy game to me (that is what I mean by badly coded).

If I pay money for a product, I expect that product to work as advertised. It does not. Whining and complaining about how your job is sooooo complicated receives no sympathy from me. The solution would have been simple, hold the product back until it's finished. But instead, you went for the money and released a beta with plans to fix later. Now you have to deal with the fallout, such as it is.

Although if you want, you can deliver the source code to me and I can see what I can do. No ? Didn't think so.

Btw, I have the game. I've played what I could until bugs and poor performance pissed me off. And this game has sooo much potential. So much that impresses. But it is not finished. It was released in a state similar to the state that ARMA 1 was in. It has alot of the same bugs that ARMA 1 had - and were patched out eventually (I mean WTF ?). If this was just another point and click shooter, I wouldn't care. But alot of people were looking foward to this for the exact reasons you listed. And they got a rushed unfinished product that repeats the pattern of the first game. Personally, I'm not going to shut up for two years like I did with ARMA 1 ,and wait for this one to be finished.

As for Bulldogs, " But then again, I have cognative thought.". Sounds to me like your calling him an idiot. Pot, meet kettle.

Probably shouldn't have called you and the devs morons, But calling someone an idiot for having a legitimate complaint annoys me.

As for the devs, they are obviously not morons, they just made some really bad decisions concerning the state the game was released in. And they should in no way be let off the hook since they are charging money for this product.

Edited by DarthElvis

I don't work for BI.

Why are you talking about bugs from a month ago - didn't you patch it?

Still that angry? You can't be serious.

This game will continously be patched.

That's one thing I love so much about it - since OFP 2001.

As said many times before, it's hard to put all of the blame on just BIS or just the publishers. Sure, BIS is at fault for agreeing to contractual terms stating that the game had to be released at this time and date, or the publisher would pull out. But then you have the shitty publishers that actually impose such things on developers. Of course, it's the same situation with all publisher-to-developer relations, but the circumstances here are different. The complexity of ArmA II requires a much larger development time than what the publishers naively imposed on them, thus the game was slightly rushed and quite bugged.

Myself, I would put the blame more on the publisher than on BIS themselves. BIS obviously work hard at making their games and are a much smaller company than most developers and have a much smaller income. They seem to do the best with what they can, creating awesome games that are bugged at released but get fixed later, and coupled with the community, are made even better. Unfortunately, since games like these cannot be guaranteed to rake in the Dollars like CoD or BF games could, publishers aren't as willing to sink lots of money in to the projects, so BIS sort of have to take what they get and live with it.

But hey, if you have legitimate claims that the game doesn't work for you, performance is bad on a rig that surpasses the recommended configuration significantly, the AI are bad in your experiences, etc. then you have a right to complain. Just make sure that when you complain, there isn't much that could be pinned on yourself, not the developer. Be it a sub-par rig, poorly looked after PC, or a bottlekneck in your system, for example.

Edited by Zipper5

I gave up a month ago, the joy of rebooting my pc has worn off.

Not my job. It's yours(you sound like you work here)

How many patches since release ? How many beta patches ? Sounds to me like you delivered an unfinished buggy game to me (that is what I mean by badly coded).

If I pay money for a product, I expect that product to work as advertised. It does not. Whining and complaining about how your job is sooooo complicated receives no sympathy from me. The solution would have been simple, hold the product back until it's finished. But instead, you went for the money and released a beta with plans to fix later. Now you have to deal with the fallout, such as it is.

Although if you want, you can deliver the source code to me and I can see what I can do. No ? Didn't think so.

Btw, I have the game. I've played what I could until bugs and poor performance pissed me off. And this game has sooo much potential. So much that impresses. But it is not finished. It was released in a state similar to the state that ARMA 1 was in. It has alot of the same bugs that ARMA 1 had - and were patched out eventually (I mean WTF ?). If this was just another point and click shooter, I wouldn't care. But alot of people were looking foward to this for the exact reasons you listed. And they got a rushed unfinished product that repeats the pattern of the first game. Personally, I'm not going to shut up for two years like I did with ARMA 1 ,and wait for this one to be finished.

As for Bulldogs, " But then again, I have cognative thought.". Sounds to me like your calling him an idiot. Pot, meet kettle.

Probably shouldn't have called you and the devs morons, But calling someone an idiot for having a legitimate complaint annoys me.

As for the devs, they are obviously not morons, they just made some really bad decisions concerning the state the game was released in. And they should in no way be let off the hook since they are charging money for this product.

By this politic of doing everything perfect, you will never see innovation again because innovation means bugs and untested features.

Enjoy you world of perfectly done FPS without any issue, but all the same repetitive thing over and over again, because it works flawlessly

I chose to support innovation, even if that means going through some odd bugs and irritations.

BI is an independant group that had to remain independant to have their ideas (you say it yourself, their ideas have a lot of potential) go through. That's exactly why they clashed with CM and the whole thing ended budget-less and rushed in the first place. Because main game producers (CM and consorts) hear exactly your arguments and are so afraid of anything that might have a flaw and downsell. They will not support innovation (see the final state of DR, typical re-taking a proven idea, and adding nothing but proven concepts in it to be sure it'll sell, they dumbed down the actual scale to be sure it runs fine)

So for myself, I tend to support (not blindly, but support anyway) groups that bring something new to the table.

That said, not concentrating on performance was a big mistake by BI (or worse, introducing performance killer eyecandy), no deny to that

A bit biased putting a poll of this nature in the "troubleshooting" forum. Of course most of the readers here are going to express some dis-satisfaction (they've obviously experienced some troubles).

A bit biased putting a poll of this nature in the "troubleshooting" forum. Of course most of the readers here are going to express some dis-satisfaction (they've obviously experienced some troubles).

Agreed. I myself didn't vote even if i haven't any trouble, i'm waiting to see if those troubles will happen with this or this patch. You can be satisfied one day and unhappy the other one. But once you've voted, you cannot express yourself again.

Arma2 rocks, no more words although I played it just a bit.

Right now im not playing because I can not update my arma with patch 1.4

( Error says: Procedurejumppoint "D3DXMatrixMultiply" was not found in DLL " d3dx9_41.dll" Prodezureinsprungpunkt nicht gefunden)

but I will try one very desperate thing to get it running (fresh install of xp).

Wish me luck^^^

I will call back definitely,my pc wont be kidding me for long :D :computer:

After playing OFP2 for quite a few hours now, Im going to break down and ask for forgiveness from Arma2!! I want to take back every bad thing Ive said and thought about Arma2! IM SORRRYYYYYYYYYYYYY

OFP2 is so crap, a buggy Arma2 is 10x the technological accomplishment that OFP2 is.

Please forgive me??

After playing OFP2 for quite a few hours now, Im going to break down and ask for forgiveness from Arma2!! I want to take back every bad thing Ive said and thought about Arma2! IM SORRRYYYYYYYYYYYYY

OFP2 is so crap, a buggy Arma2 is 10x the technological accomplishment that OFP2 is.

Please forgive me??

LOL - there will be hundreds or thousands or .... people like you thats getting "healed" in that two ways

1. Realizing what BI games are about (openess)

2. Realizing that other games might have a vast marketing machine running, but no genius at all.

.... , so don't worry, you r forgiven ... ;)

Before I hit the multiplayer part of Arma 2 it was a good single player game with a bugged campaign for me. Since I'm playing online, Arma 2 turned into a fascinating and totally addicting millitary simulation that's causing troubles ... my girlfriend doesn't understand :681:

Thanks for Arma 2 :)

I love this game a lot, sadly though, a lot of problems with it take a lot of the would be fun away.

I have though faith that in some time after some driver updates + patches this will be one of the most enjoyable games ever made.

I hope to be able to say in some time that I am extremely satisfied with it as this game (or rather simulator :)) is worth it, which is also the reason why I am putting a lot of time into trying to get the game to run. Where with any other game I would have stopped weeks ago.

And it CAN run well. I am running it well on my other PC and its a blast there. Sadly the CPU in that one is relatively slow and I would like to play it on this one. Which is a nightmare in getting it to run.