Sign in to follow this  
chaos1986

ARMA 2 - Seriously bad graphics for a 2009 game

These are some of the worst graphics i have seen in years. I was expecting it to look at least better than ARMA 1, but quake 1 looks better than this

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5089/dsc01981x.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5614/dsc01982x.jpg

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3240/dsc01983g.jpg

The game is unplayable as i cannot see small models (ie the weapons boxes or ammo)

I have tried updating my graphics drivers, tried reinstalling DirectX.

My system specs are

AMD Phenom II X4 955 (quad core 3.2Ghz)

GeForce 9800GTX+ (512MB Vram)

8GB DDR3 1666Mhz

Windows Vista Ultimate 64Bit

Edited by Sniperwolf572
Pics over 100kb

I'm sorry to say this m8 but don't blame this game (company) for a faulty Hardware/Software at your end.

Check screens from other users or review sites and you will notice this is not how the game looks like.

With these big screenshots its also almost impossible to have a proper view on them so please adjust them next time.

Your system is better then mine so start checking drivers etc because it is defenetly your end m8.

This might be a ram issue so I suggest you start searching for 8GB threads.

Good luck and post back with update.

Edited by Snowwhite

yup, as I just found out it's apparently an 8gb of ram problem, although there's a hotfix out... I think

Oh come on this is a joke topic right? there is noway anyone would of thought that is how the game looks and that there wasn't a problem going on with either drivers or hardware? lmao!

wait you have 8GB RAM or more

run game with -winXP commandline switch

ARMA2.exe -winxp

ARMA2demo.exe -winxp

wait you have 8GB RAM or more

run game with -winXP commandline switch

ARMA2.exe -winxp

ARMA2demo.exe -winxp

Just wondering if there will be a patch fixing this? Thanks

And this command line works with the steam version correct?

Listen to Dwarden....I had the same issue.

Before the fix

th_ArmA2Demo2009-06-2620-28-59-34.jpg

th_ArmA2Demo2009-06-2620-23-37-14.jpg

After the fix

th_arma22009-06-2622-19-53-83.jpg

th_arma22009-06-2700-16-06-20.jpg

th_arma22009-06-2700-32-17-91.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Yes works with steam but you have to apply it through the steam client and not the shortcut.

I would also suggest making sure you have the newest Steam beta if you are on Vista... Steam still hasn't fully caught up with a now almost obsolete OS.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1326311&postcount=266

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

I would also suggest making sure you have the newest Steam beta if you are on Vista... Steam still hasn't fully caught up with a now almost obsolete OS.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1332627&postcount=350

Yea I had the same problem in Win 7 RC (64 bit) with 8 G RAM.. The -winxp worked for me too. What was weird is the "Run in Win XP mode" within the shortcut didn't give me the same results?!

Thanks to Dwarden for clearing this up!

These are some of the worst graphics i have seen in years. I was expecting it to look at least better than ARMA 1, but quake 1 looks better than this

Next time do some research BEFORE shooting your mouth off.

t

I don't know what crack you are smoking. Maybe turn the graphics on something other than low and you will change your mind.

Arma 2 is a stunning game. Some of the best graphics and effects out there IMO.

The average game consumer out there expect games to run out of the box. I dont blame him for thinking the game was horrible and suppose to look like that. Not everyone is technical with there computers and this title in its current state is pretty sorry.

The point of "Recommended" and "Minimum" requirements are so that a user know he/she can run that particular game. When you exceed or meet those requirements you should not be having the issues this game tends to be plaqued with. Putting command syntaxes to combat graphics issues should not be necessary in our days of computers. Eight GB of ram should have been properly tested with the game as of many other things as well.

The time will come where people are going to get wise to Bohemias strategy of sell first then fix later. To all fanboys I apologize but games should not be released like this simply because its a slap in the face to the consumer.

The graphics in this game are GREAT! The effects I feel are outdated. The smoke is good but the fire and blown up vehicles look dated pretty bad. This is my opinion ofcourse and many feel the effects are the best out there. I came across a recon aircraft that crashed in SpecOps and it was the same model you see flying around in the air with a chared texture. To me this is bad effects for what computers are capable of today. Also the ground skid mark was an absolute joke.

I dont blame him for thinking the game was horrible and suppose to look like that.

Seriously, 100% black grass 'textures'? Random squares on the ground? Now its obvious that he isnt the master of PC's since he made those screenshots with a camera, but still... :confused:

Edited by NeMeSiS

The average game consumer out there expect games to run out of the box.

And they have every right to, because the average gaming consumer these days is a PS3/360 owner.

PC games for PC owners on the other hand operate in very different circles, PC games = greater possibilities, greater complexities, greater modding ability but that all comes at a price, and that price is a lack of simplicity and some basic PC understanding required.

Seriously, 100% grass 'textures'? Random squares on the ground? Now its obvious that he isnt the master of PC's since he made those screenshots with a camera, but still... :confused:

Hehe, yeah, I noticed that. But all he had to do was look at pictures posted on the interweb.Maybe he had trouble connecting. :D

These same people who moan that it was released too soon are demanding that the next patch be released before it's ready as well. Oddballs, most of these guys.

Next time do some research BEFORE shooting your mouth off.

Amen to that. I mean, it's quite obvious from those pics that there's something not right. I mean, if that was the same for everyone like he assumed, it would be all over the forums... Some people these days... :icon_rolleyes:

And they have every right to, because the average gaming consumer these days is a PS3/360 owner.

PC games for PC owners on the other hand operate in very different circles, PC games = greater possibilities, greater complexities, greater modding ability but that all comes at a price, and that price is a lack of simplicity and some basic PC understanding required.

You’re funny Placebo! It was Bohemia that announced a console date right? I can’t remember why they pushed it back or killed it but I am sure I can take a wild guess. Releasing a game with these kinds of bugs and performance issues would NOT be heard of by any other company producing PC games. This game should be playable from box when in fact it only is for select part of the community (LESS THAN 50%). Even then you can argue they used fixes and editing to make their game run.

It shouldn’t be necessary to edit game files and placing switches in the shortcut to make the game function as it was supposed to. Also none of these help performance one bit for me and many others. Furthermore half the community meets or exceeds “recommended†system requirements and has yet to get enough time to match the time they spent trying to make the game run correctly.

You think because the majority of us are computer literate one guy should be flamed because he/she does not have an understanding? You cannot ask the consumer to become computer literate because they want to play a video game either. There are a lot of people that like to game with PC that knows nothing in general of how to edit cfg files or any text file for that matter.

These people want to install the game and play it and furthermore all of us gurus would prefer it that way as well. Obviously Bohemia knows nothing of this concept and in all honesty I think even a lot of the fan boys can agree with me on that.

I don’t blame the way he felt because he spent 50 dollars for something he would have to tweak to make function in the end. I can’t believe Bohemia got this past Quality Control lol!! You do realize Operating Systems are gearing towards being easier to use as well as software right? If the complexity is why there are so many problems why the early release date? Can anyone answer this?

Can someone say “Make Money before OFP2 Releases�

Also all this blaming on the hardware vendors is just ridiculous. SLAP IN THE FACE really.

Ehhh, all the Bohemia games have been severely broken when they're first released...

Dunno why everybody is in such a state of shock about ARMA II being the same.

There's not really any excuse for it, don't get me wrong... but nobody that played OFP/ArmA should have expected anything more than what's happened in the past.

You're only kidding yourselves, otherwise.

Just wait for about 3 more patches. ;)

I know we shouldn't have to, but we don't really have a choice.

You’re funny Placebo! It was Bohemia that announced a console date right? I can’t remember why they pushed it back or killed it but I am sure I can take a wild guess. Releasing a game with these kinds of bugs and performance issues would NOT be heard of by any other company producing PC games. This game should be playable from box when in fact it only is for select part of the community (LESS THAN 50%). Even then you can argue they used fixes and editing to make their game run.

Also all this blaming on the hardware vendors is just ridiculous. SLAP IN THE FACE really.

Your f@ckin kidding me right? Do you even play video games on a pc? You make me laugh with that ridiculous comment. You might want to go read EA or Ubi forums come game release time.

Alot of the problems in pc games are hardware based or Nvidia and ATI would not need to release drivers all the time. This game because it needs better optimizing will show faults with hardware configs that other games won't.

It's too bad you cannot run the game like my 6 others friends and I can, trouble free.

Your f@ckin kidding me right? Do you even play video games on a pc? You make me laugh with that ridiculous comment. You might want to go read EA or Ubi forums come game release time.

Alot of the problems in pc games are hardware based or Nvidia and ATI would not need to release drivers all the time. This game because it needs better optimizing will show faults with hardware configs that other games won't.

It's too bad you cannot run the game like my 6 others friends and I can, trouble free.

If it were only EA or Ubi forums.

I play PC games since CGA video cards. And it was always a pain in the ass to configure and play them without problems. Nowadays it's even worse with the games demanding more from the software and hardware.

Im kinda curious what percentage play this game fine. I can tell you that I have 9 friends that play this game and gave no issues but none of them go on these forums at all. Kinda makes you curious how many people out there run arma 2 fine or how many have problems but gave up without posting on the forums.

LOL. People like you make make me laugh.

LOL. People like you make make me laugh.

Right back at ya buddy.:cc:

Just curious though, is your system store bought, build it yourself or have someone build it to your specs?

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Im kinda curious what percentage play this game fine. I can tell you that I have 9 friends that play this game and gave no issues but none of them go on these forums at all. Kinda makes you curious how many people out there run arma 2 fine or how many have problems but gave up without posting on the forums.

My other friends never come on these forums and they run the game fine. I've installed the game for them on their systems I also put together, so I know what problems they might encounter.

My brother who works for EA doing graphics has a workstation set up so he can do work at home and he installed the german download version patched with english and has had ZERO problems. His rig isn't set up for gaming and the only games that gave him problems were R6V2 and GRAW2. Both UBI games, go figure. I would've thought that Arma1&2 would give him the most problems but they have been the most stable on his quadro 256 mb card.

It shouldn’t be necessary to edit game files and placing switches in the shortcut to make the game function as it was supposed to. Also none of these help performance one bit for me and many others. Furthermore half the community meets or exceeds “recommended†system requirements and has yet to get enough time to match the time they spent trying to make the game run correctly.

You think because the majority of us are computer literate one guy should be flamed because he/she does not have an understanding? You cannot ask the consumer to become computer literate because they want to play a video game either. There are a lot of people that like to game with PC that knows nothing in general of how to edit cfg files or any text file for that matter.

These people want to install the game and play it and furthermore all of us gurus would prefer it that way as well. Obviously Bohemia knows nothing of this concept and in all honesty I think even a lot of the fan boys can agree with me on that.

I don’t blame the way he felt because he spent 50 dollars for something he would have to tweak to make function in the end. I can’t believe Bohemia got this past Quality Control lol!! You do realize Operating Systems are gearing towards being easier to use as well as software right? If the complexity is why there are so many problems why the early release date? Can anyone answer this?

Can someone say “Make Money before OFP2 Releases�

Clearly you weren't born when Falcon 3.0 was released. And there are lots of other example of complex simulations that were way worse the Arma 2 was at release. You appear to live in cloud cuckoo land if you think this level of simulation will work for 100% of people straight out of the box without some fiddling by the user and some patching by the developer.