Sign in to follow this  
Typheus

Alright, so can servers prevent people from turning grass to 0?

thats not true, get on XR warfare server and lower or disable your "landschaftsdetail" (landscape settings in english?).

I don't know what they did then , because for example in server in my sig, I connect with Terrain Details on Very Low (it's the settings you're talking about, it disables grass) and I still get grass around me

I only play coop, so the 'cheating' factor is less important. In Arma1 I let players choose grass or no grass, simply because of the performance penalty. But I really really really want to enforce grass. Not for the grass itself, but to avoid AI floating above terrain features with a big 'shoot me' sign. This effect was only apparent on the lowest setting, where grass was removed. None of the other settings made much difference wrt this. So I want the players to choose between the different amount of grass depending on how much their hardware can take, but I won't allow them to turn it off completely.

Arma1 became unplayable in certain places of wooden areas in north Sahrani, if grass was forced on.

Then try hiding behind a bush or tree or rock rather than in the grass that you know doesn't get rendered past a certain point.

Hiding behind a bush presents its own

Bushes and other covers all over.

And yes it is true that servers set if you have grass or not. Just that if the mission the server is hosting have options for all players to turn it off - it ofcourse wont help you.

Luckily we dont play warfare.

Edited by Alex72

The grass is pointless anyway since it only appears some twenty meters around you.

It's deceptive because people think they're hidden because they're in grass, but I can see them plainly because my game isn't rendering grass where they are.

The current scheme is unacceptable.

wow wow wow, lot of misinformation in this thread! :O

Unless things changed from OFP/A1 in A2 :

1) The server, without any particular scripting in the mission, dictates the use of grass and clients cannot switch off grass. Ie, no "cheating".

2) mission makers can, through the use of scripting command, enforce a different settings. Usually in the initialization script, they can disable grass. It will take effect on all clients and clients then still cannot change the grass setting. It is driven by the mission. Ie, no "cheating".

3) mission makers can, finally, offer a dynamic way to change grass settings on clients, through the use of the player character menu or through custom radios for example (ie not by changing Video Settings the usual way). In this case only, you can have 1 client with grass and another one without grass. And it's because the mission maker wanted it to be that way.

+1

Hi all

Any ability to change grass client side is something the mission maker has permitted. That is the mission maker's perogative. If you do not like the ability; play a different mission or ask the mission maker to make client choice of grass level a server admin choice at mission start; most sensible mission makers do this any way. Your third alternative is to start making missions your self. Who knows if you make good missions people may play them.

Kind Regards walker

Alright, so can servers prevent people from turning grass to 0?

Yes in the server's *.ArmA2Profile [Link]

Jman;1323863']Yes in the server's *.ArmA2Profile [Link]

Tried with terrainGrid to 50, which should have grass disabled, but no go :( I must have missed somthing

Are you sure that the mission you are playing is not overriding the setting? It'll be setTerrainGrid.

Edited by [KH]Jman

You're right Shinobi, I don't need an apology from you. I should be the one apologizing. I'm truly sorry for you.

lol you guys kiddin me i was playin a CTF today, while in a lighthouse sniping ppl with a 50 cal. lol if u need to hide in a bush to kill people, then sorry but youre a puss.
not particulary. you say youre not getting this game merely because you can turn the grass off? what kind of moroic statement is that? so what you cant lie prone in the grass big deal, i'm glad their is an option like this even tho i havent disabled it myself, it allows for less camping! no, i am not going to appologize, stop crying; if you dont want the game thats fine, but over a stupid reason like turning grass off in mutliplayer? thats rediculous. and i didnt call you a pussy :)

Its people like him that ruin this game

Jman;1323940']Are you sure that the mission you are playing is not overriding the setting? It'll be setTerrainGrid.

It's crCTI 0.4, I dePBOd and searched, not found any reference to setTerrainGrid yet

I can verify what he says is right

There is no reference to using setTerrainGrid in th missions I depboed

I set terrainGrid to 50 and no difference to grass

Anyone else know how to fix this ?

Grass sucks the hell outa performance

Hiding behind other cover is all very well but it does make your placing rather more predictiable, and one of the key choices in choosing a location is that it isnt predictiable i.e if theres one tree in a plain then thats the one location you DO NOT choose as a snipers location as it means you will be found and killed in fairly short order.

This is ignorng similar rules in sniper fire of changing location between shots etc to minimise chances of you being spotted.

Surely there are ways to block shade grass at ranges to keep its performance effects down?

Hello all

It is a shame that the game /current rigs cannot support grass fully for sniping from and taking cover in, but let us not forget what we CAN do with the game!

I almost always take a sniping role ( mainly because my PC cannot handle CQC ) and also I have to play on grass off servers whenever I can (I make an exception on the [GOL] server as I like the players there.) due to framerate issues.

I rarely have a problem finding good cover to snipe from ) (especially in A2and think the major issue for snipers is the Super Accurate (Bloodyus Cheatum) AI.

It would be nice to snipe from long grass, but there are alternatives and this makes IMHO a much more tactical sneaky game for the prospective sniper.

Also, OffTopic having a good spotter is a great boon. Walker or a chap called Virus, was spotting targets for me today for a short while and it improved things immensely. Also, having someone watch my back was nice too. (sorry chaps can't remember which of you it was:) ).

Just my 2p

rgds

LoK

not particulary. you say youre not getting this game merely because you can turn the grass off? what kind of moroic statement is that? so what you cant lie prone in the grass big deal, i'm glad their is an option like this even tho i havent disabled it myself, it allows for less camping! no, i am not going to appologize, stop crying; if you dont want the game thats fine, but over a stupid reason like turning grass off in mutliplayer? thats rediculous. and i didnt call you a pussy :)

You obviusly dont see the point.

In real life (witch ArmA2 is trying to simulate) snipers dont always have a rock or bush to hide behind, they myb have to hide in plain sight, but in arma you cant do that since there aint no gras so a sniper sticks out like sore thumb. You dont always have a bush to hide behind you know...

Now go back to CS or something...

I know this might be completely out of some peoples grasp but this isnt counter-strike. In real life......A sniper with good cover, a good vantage point and the incompentance of his targets CAN SIT IN ONE PLACE ALL DAMN DAY.....this isnt camping. Not only this, in WWII if i remeber right a single sniper took out and entire platoon or something......jfrom a single perch with a single rifle, without moving.

A sniper who can shoot well is a god send from a pinned down platoon. If i offended the run and gun types who run blindly from cover into the open and infront of the buisness end of my rifle.....to bad man...learn to shoot, judge the wind, read the mirage, estimate range. A snipers an artist not a point, click, print type of soldier.

Maybe Im a bit biased...............:yay:

Did i mention i even remember when counter-strike involved tactics and the sniper rifle werent banned on every server?

Edited by AcrylicNinja
addition

I don't see how the grass could be used as effective concealment anyway. If you are a sniper and at an optimal shooting distance for long range targeting (~1,000m) the game won't render grass that far out, resulting in an easy spot of the sniper. This applies of course only to human vs. human.

The profile used by the server, does not seem to listen to the 'terrainGrid' value.. it just ignores it. I have a server with it set as 10, and the grass is still on. Someone correct me if they KNOW it works, I could have made a mistake. So the only way I know to adjust the grass is:

In the mission, with a setterrainGrid 10 command

In a mod, with the same command.

As for people turning off the grass with mods, that is why on a PvP server you should have equalmodrequired or sig checks on. You should also adjust the difficulty settings to PvP orientated ones. (3rd off, No Callouts, no extra armor, etc) It's crazy to allow unverified mods on a PvP server.

The profile used by the server, does not seem to listen to the 'terrainGrid' value.. it just ignores it. I have a server with it set as 10, and the grass is still on. Someone correct me if they KNOW it works, I could have made a mistake. So the only way I know to adjust the grass is:

As for people turning off the grass with mods, that is why on a PvP server you should have equalmodrequired or sig checks on. You should also adjust the difficulty settings to PvP orientated ones. (3rd off, No Callouts, no extra armor, etc) It's crazy to allow unverified mods on a PvP server.

anyone running a server like this? I've only seen a few select playing games like PVP HOLD where the grass is on, BUT 3rd person is on as well....which totally blows it for me.

Actually, the command to remove grass is setTerrainGrid 50

But you're right, the server doesn't use this command in the config file.

My server has grass off for all missions apart from the ones forcing grass setup (while waiting for BI to properly implement the grass layer)

I did it by re-using Doolittle's method he had in ArmA1, requiring a mod on server only. Working on anti-TK feature with this if possible

I was playing last night , as gunner in a LAV. i killed 3 guys who thought they were hiding in grass, but it wasn't being rendered as they were too far away from me. They can't see anything but grass, because they go prone to hide but they stick out like dogs balls from a distance. I actually felt a bit guilty, they're new players and probably think i was cheating. The grass should be OFF until a better system is introduced.