Sign in to follow this  
wazandy

An open letter to BIS Devs re: GTX 295 rigs.

Is this just a 295 issue?

I am having phenomenal performance with SLI 280's.

Nope, seems many people with 2XX cards are experiencing it, some ATi users as well, even some 8800 users.

Has anyone of you tried to disable Transparent Anti-Aliasing? And force with some tool v-sync off(don't know what nvidia has now, ati has att)?

Arma 2 has a LOT of transparent textures - grass, trees... So disabling Transparent AA in nvidia control panel should increase performance. At least it does on my HD4870x2. Similar example was game Oblivion. Also lot of trees and hi-end gpu's gave quite bad performance until you disable TAA.

I don't know will it help. At least give it a try. Good luck.

yes, many peoples seem to just say they've got a 295...not who the manufacturer (e.g. evga) is, which version of 295 from that manufacturer they have etc

Mine is a Inno3d Single PCB version of the GTX295.

Patch v1.03 did not help gtx295 sli low frame rate...
it wouldnt, you ether get it to work, or not.

turn all of your graphics on medium and vid mem on high or normal. I bet you get a massive fps increase. This game is massively future proofed on very high settings. Not because of the textures, which personally i think Crysis was way beyond this in texture graphics and detail (WAY BEYOND). However performance wise with loads of things happening in the single player map all at once. Grass and trees and heaps of other sht, thats whats causing the low fps. So turn your graphics down a bit. Also see if you can play the editor mode without these issues and IF it runs way better in the editor, your issues are barely any different to people like ME running a 8800 GTS 512mb. My comp runs flawlessly on the editor but 35fps - 50 fps on Single player. Another thing is 8800gts 512mb people have turned their graphics down and dealt with it, so of course they are going to get better fps than people trying to run it maxed out like you guys. This is no different to the Crysis game when it first came out or Oblivian or any other brand new generation game that comes out and kicks all of our specs out the window.

Remember the saying for pc gamers "Dont go for perfect, always go for good enough" Only upgrade the year AFTER a game comes out that you cant run, not before. :):):) Sad but true.

I have the same problems, and it's not about FPS increase, it's about having the game run without crashing. When it runs, my frame rates are fine. Then suddenly, it's a stuttering mess and a quick CTD.

I don't mind a hiccup here or there, but the game should at least be stable with higher end systems.

WH_Doc

www.war-hawks.net

I also own a GTX 295 which is a brilliant card but unfortunately it has struggled with ArmA 2. I can guarantee a 'smooth' gaming experience by lowering every video setting to "low" or "very low" but then I miss out on the splendour of Chernarus.

Has anyone who owns a GTX 295 card managed to get really high perfomance gains by tweaking?

I have the same problems, and it's not about FPS increase, it's about having the game run without crashing. When it runs, my frame rates are fine. Then suddenly, it's a stuttering mess and a quick CTD.

I don't mind a hiccup here or there, but the game should at least be stable with higher end systems.

WH_Doc

www.war-hawks.net

Pretty much the exact same issue here. I get four different "types" of crashes now it seems:

1) Sudden slowdown with some grey flashing textures and then CTD, with "v-buffer" error in the RPT (mostly fixed by disabling Threaded Optimization)

2) Sudden slowdown to the point where I'm getting one frame every few seconds, and I have to ctrl-alt-del out and manually close the task because it's essentially locked up

3) Game will randomly minimize itself, and then not reappear when I try to maximize, but I still hear sounds

4) Game will randomly minimize and disappear from taskbar, only to still be running in task manager and require a manual end process.

Not entirely sure what causes these, but the sudden slowdown seems to be caused by a multi-core threading issue, because when it happens only one of my cores will be working, while the rest will be near idle.

Pretty much the exact same issue here. I get four different "types" of crashes now it seems:

1) Sudden slowdown with some grey flashing textures and then CTD, with "v-buffer" error in the RPT (mostly fixed by disabling Threaded Optimization)

2) Sudden slowdown to the point where I'm getting one frame every few seconds, and I have to ctrl-alt-del out and manually close the task because it's essentially locked up

3) Game will randomly minimize itself, and then not reappear when I try to maximize, but I still hear sounds

4) Game will randomly minimize and disappear from taskbar, only to still be running in task manager and require a manual end process.

Not entirely sure what causes these, but the sudden slowdown seems to be caused by a multi-core threading issue, because when it happens only one of my cores will be working, while the rest will be near idle.

Seems like a few (lots) of people have been posting on all of the Boards I visit, and have similar issues with win7 loosing the desktop manager... Like something takes the focus from the app/DX and takes you to desktop or locks down your mouse... have to open task manager and then you have you your mouse back to get back to your App... A windows update in march?, or the combo of win764 update and Logi mouse ware..? Thats not to say there isn't a game/driver issue that looses focus when it hangs.. but check your Event Manager, be sure to set it to record alot of data(100mb), not the usual 521kb, that way you can get a real feel for the issues.

;1617961']I also own a GTX 295 which is a brilliant card but unfortunately it has struggled with ArmA 2. I can guarantee a 'smooth' gaming experience by lowering every video setting to "low" or "very low" but then I miss out on the splendour of Chernarus.

Has anyone who owns a GTX 295 card managed to get really high perfomance gains by tweaking?

I have a 295 and its great in GPU limited situations: on your own in the editor. From my experience GFX card matters little when you actually play the game, it all comes down to your CPU. Simply adding a few squads of AI will make your gfx card useless as it is now the cpu that is dictating your maximum FPS. Other things that cause the CPU to be worked more than the GPU are View distance and buildings.

A programmer I know, who is also playing ArmA2, said to me once that the engine of ArmA 2 is very similar to the Java platform, just with a Grpaic engine as a nice addition. He said, that the enitre construction of the enigne and it´s intension was never to run smooth and properly with the available ressources.

Hopefully BIS will learn from the mistakes and fix the wholes in their engine in Operation Arrowhead to let people profit from the computer´s ressources to run the game with a suitable performance.