Sign in to follow this  
Jade77

10 fps

Hello all its my 1st post and was hoping to get some help.

Just got the game today and nearly launched it out of the window and into the road earlier, but thought id come ask you here 1st.

My system

Vista Ultimate 64

8gig DDR3 ram

Q6850 3ghz processor

GTX295

And ive changed shit loads of settings, followed the guides and the most fps ive seen is 20, with everything on low.

If im looking straight the graphics are constantly coming in and out of view, even some close graphics keep changing shape and blocking out,

I get constant graphical gliches.

Ive updated all my drivers and still no luck, ive been waiting along time for this game, so i hope you chaps can help

I have c2d 6600 and nvidia 9800 gtx+, running on XP 64, and i have 40+fps on normal/high settings. So maybe you want to give a try to XP.

Anyway post your gfx card driver version, as there are some known problems with some versions.

make sure you defrag your drive, Arma installation and patching seems to really fragment the drive.

I wont use XP as windows wont read the 8gig

The make of the card is PNY.

I dont get this problem on other games, and hit upto 400fps in some.

so for me getting20 max on low settings is a joke.

Yeah, other games sure are much easier to run.

Anyways.

Another young gentleman was running an nvidia 29x card with a similar set up to yours and was having similar troubles. Perhaps this game doesn't like something about that rig.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75211

There's a post in there that says xp solved the problem for one user.

Edited by Max Power

Jade777 - I am getting the same thing as you, but I a have the geforce 260GTX. Do these guys at Bis even test these games before releasing them to the public? It's a joke that this game doesn't run on a better system, but lookinging back didn't we have the same crap with Armed Assault 1, I guess should have learned from that lesson.

Also, why the hell would anyone want to install xp just to play one game? Maybe we should all buy the exact same computer aswell so that the game runs ok -NOT. seriously, what does it say about Bis, if they cannot get a game to run on different Pc hardware?

Edited by Jackdaniels

Same here. My specs are

Core Duo 2 2.56 Ghz

nVidia 9600m 512 VRAM drivers 186.03

4 GB RAM

Windows 7

And I have around 10 fps in the 1st campaign mission with all settings to low !! Seriously this is a joke. I think that my hw config is not that bad but still the game is unplayable ! I definitely regret that I bought it :mad:

The problem is Vista.

With Xp, i had 40-45 FPS.

With Vista, i have 15 FPS.

>_>

Quad Core 3.4Ghz

4GB Ram ddr2 1066Mhz

Ati 4870 X2 2 Gb

>_< Arma 2 is full optimized for Vista, lol

Edited by Predators1

The problem are Vista.

With Xp, i had 40-45 FPS.

With Vista, i have 15 FPS.

>_>

Quad Core 3.4Ghz

4GB Ram ddr2 1066Mhz

Ati 4870 X2 2 Gb

>_< Arma 2 is full optimized for Vista, lol

I have windows 7

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2#Optimal_PC_Requirements

Optimal PC Requirements

* CPU: Intel Core 2.8 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster

* RAM: 2 GB

* Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT / ATI Radeon 4850 with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM or faster

well I dont think that my card is "not good".

Edited by Tex-Twil

I have windows 7

Your rig is not similar and not as good as Jade77's, so you cannot compare both.

I have a 2 year old Q6600 2,4Ghz and g8800 gtx 768Mo and runs the game nicely on high for most settings when there is not too many AI running around in cities.

Most people with "middle-range" hardware do have good results, but some people with "extreme high end" rigs tend to have negative experience, because their config is too new/specific to be have been properly tested yet (+shaky new drivers, beta OS....)

1) Try to defragment your HD after patching

2) use "default" in your video memory settings instead of very high (it will use as much as possible)

3) Try to use the latest nvidia drivers 186.00 OR revert back to older tested drivers if it fails you.

4) try to rename the exe like a known game supported by the card (like crysis, farcry, fear...), I heard it helped some people with SLI, Crossfire, X2 etc...

5) I heard that -xp in the shortcut helped some people too.

Try some tests in the editor when you're alone and no fancy module:

- if it's smooth in the editor but lags in the campaign, then it's a CPU bottleneck/problem.

- If it stutters from time to time in the editor, it may be your HD (fragmentation) or memory related (leaks, memory not supported...) slowing the terrain streaming.

- If it stutters/lag consistently in the editor with nothing else running, then it may be GPU related (overheating, unsupported drivers...)

For instance I had an incredible framerate drop at first when going over the sea : it was smooth with thousands of trees over the mainland, but stuttered to death when arriving over the shore with nothing but sea at the horizon... weird. Well, updating the drivers of my card solved it all.

Hope that helps and that you will be able to enjoy this awsome game soon.

You could explain the 4 point, please?

4) try to rename the exe like a known game supported by the card (like crysis, farcry, fear...), I heard it helped some people with SLI, Crossfire, X2 etc...

You could explain the 4 point, please?

Yes that's just ridiculous. Who ever believes in such a crap is a ...

I mean how possibly could renaming some exe change a shit. :D

AFAIK it helps people with SLI.

Point 4 : Multi GPU functions (SLI, Crossfire, X2) are triggered by the drivers, not by the game. Drivers include a list of "supported games" for which they activate SLI functions, so by renaming the exe to a "supported game" name you fool the driver and force it to activate multi-GPU support. Apparently Arma.exe (=Arma 1) also works.

If you have only one GPU, it will probably have no effect, but if you have problems with the game, it may be worth trying everything.

I also read that turning HT "off" on I7 helps quit some stutterring (HT creates virtual CPUs and sometimes the game is "fooled" and feeds different tasks to different virtual CPU on the same physical core, thus creating a bottleneck instead of distributing across the physical cores first).

Hmm renaming the exe to Crysis gave me an extra 10fps

im going to defrag tonight while im asleep

thanks for the help lads

I'm having the same problem here and I'm on windows 7. I'm gonna install a fresh new copy of xp x64 in a minute and see if the game runs smoother.

4870 1gb

e8500@ 3.16

4gb ram

If I were to overclock my cpu, do you think I would get an increase in performance? I heard some people don't get one, that's why i ask :)

thanks

Any overclock will increase the systems performance as long as you supply enough voltage to the overclocked component with a sufficient cooling solution.

Actually works. Nvidia drivers contain game profiles, and Arma2 is not prersent yet so often they default to non SLi mode. Crysis64.exe will trigger the SLi profile for that game and it does work. I had my doubts but did get the game to perform for a breif period of time using this and -winxp in startup.

However my problem was "reintorduced" somehow by playing in the game and performance went back to crap.

Just letting people know that are considering installing xp to give it a shot. I followed someones advice and installed a fresh new copy of xp x64. Runs a lot smoother now, except for the occasional stutter. No more hang ups/lag.

Don't forget to disable "vsync option" in your Nvidia control panel.

well I gave arma another try because I got a new laptop

Intel i7 2.6 Ghz

nVidia 330m 512MB

4GB ram

but it's still not playable even with a lot of tweaks, gpu overclock and low graphic settings :( I think I will have to buy a desktop.

Besides the fact that this thread was burried for over one year, let us compare the 330m Chip with the chip from a GTX-480:

Stream- processors:

330m: 48

480: 480

Texturing units:

330m: 16

480: 60

ROPs:

330m: 8

480: 48

Memory clock:

330m: 800MHz (GDDR3)

480: 1848MHz (GDDR5)

Interface:

330m: 128bit

480: 384bit

Just to name the most important factors. Why the hell do you think to get acceptable FPS on decent settings with this chip?

:EDITH:

Also interesting:

GFlops:

330m: 182.2

480: 1345

memory bandwith (GB/s)

33m: 25.6

480: 177.4

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Myke;1719383']

Just to name the most important factors. Why the hell do you think to get acceptable FPS on decent settings with this chip?

I just hoped the game could run on an average config. Not only on super high end GPUs ! Btw, thanks for the numbers but I don't see what's the point of comparing my GPU with yours. Is the GTX 480 a kind of reference for Arma 2 or do you just want to show that you own it ?

Edited by Tex-Twil