Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird

AI Dispersion Increased for more Immersion

Archangel;1361155']Ahh' date=' yes my 100 legged friend.

Please see the post on page 7 of this topic:-

I'd asked him in a previous post if it was okay to post any mod/update on this thread too, as I didn't want to hijack it as you said - and he replied with the above statement. It got overwritten by an update regarding the AiDispersionCoef not having any effect so it's easy to miss.

Hope this clears things up - several of us are working towards this goal and posting our results here, please feel free to contribute.

Regards,

-- Archangel[/quote']

Roger that. Sorry for not reading the whole post.

Archangel;1360951']Hi all' date='

This is the first beta of the weapons pack I'm trying to port over to Arma2, this version just contains a config that tweaks the dispersion of the AI units to help prevent the 'Robocop' syndrome that many players were experiencing.

<snipped>

You can find the file here.

The Rapidshare link only allows 10 downloads and is now exceeded. Can you repost somewhere else?

Hi, I confirm that rapidshare has reached it's limit of downloading. Can somebody upload it somewhere again please?

Thanks

ArmaII being my first game in the series I have to ask this slightly noobish question. ;)

But just to make things clear, in the readme it says that I should drop those 2 files to Addons folder. Does it mean that actual Addons folder in the arma install dir, or should I create @modname/addons folder?

Thanks in advance. :)

ps. I'm talking about Archangel's mod of course.

create @modname/addons folder... never disturb the official addons folder. to be exactly, never disturb with official files and folders.

Okie, thanks mate: :)

But that key file goes to official Keys folder, right?

Edited by LilRoller

the keys are for server i think... for those that run dedicated server, they use those. i never bothered with it. so cant really say

Yeah It's for online stuff, so it's not important for me for now. But would be nice know the right place for the future as I'm sure I'll start to play online at some point.

But thanks heaps for your help Mr_Centipede. :)

correct indeed. we were all given the key file to put in our keys dir for online and lan play, afaik it should not affect single player at all. you can put the addons in a mod folder or the normal addons folder at your own risk, they will work just as well regardless, but mod folders are recommended as they are easier to manage because some addons may conflict with others especially at beta stage, plus its easier to take out or change them if you are that way inclined.

Is this gonna also affect AI on dedi server, will work for clients when I put it in server addons? or evey one client need that addon?

Edited by Dan86

Hi Dan,

Yes this affects the AI on a dedicated server and from what I've seen everyone that joins needs the file too as it wouldn't let one of our own squad join when he accidentaly put the addon in the wrong folder, so I'm assuming that should be the case with everyone else - but keep us posted if you find otherwise.

Regards,

-- Archangel

Hello,

I havn't read through every page of this thread, but instead of having to download these mods etc, wouldn't it be easier for people to just open their profile with notepad (located in My Documents > ArmA 2) and change the AI precision values for the difficulty modes they use?

I use the following figures and I am very happy with the results:

skillFriendly=1;

skillEnemy=1;

precisionFriendly=0.5;

precisionEnemy=0.5;

EDIT: Taken some time to read a few more pages and have seen similar questions with answers so feel free to ignor this post.

James

Edited by jch5pilot

Hi!

Does the Sentinel Weapons mod work with VopSound? I tried it, but i really don't see if it works. I'm only 2 days playing lol

Thanks, guys!

Hi!

Does the Sentinel Weapons mod work with VopSound? I tried it, but i really don't see if it works. I'm only 2 days playing lol

Thanks, guys!

Hi NilHades,

I've not actually tested this with any soundmods yet, I've just used the default sounds on it so far. With ArmA1 you could set the priority of the mod loaded by moving it further to the end of the shortcut line .i.e. as in the example below

Guys,

<Snipped>

I understand that the order in which these is loaded is important. The biki topic says that the highest priority is last in the shortcut line, so what's the best order here?

-mod=dbe1;@durgvegfix;@dmsmoke;@xeh

Is that the way?

Thanks in advance,

Tanky

I'm assuming this is still the case with ArmA2, so for ours it might be worth typing in:

-mod=@sen_weapons;@vopsound

Or whatever your chosen names for the mod folders are.

The vopsound mod doesn't change the dispersion values as far as I am aware so they should be compatible in that order.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

-- Archangel

Edited by [SEN]Archangel
Corrections

Just confirmed it; Not compaitable. AI doesent fire....at all... whatsoever. (this is with VOPsound)

Thanks for the answer, Archangel!

What a pity that they aren't compatible...

Well, I think I'll play with your mod instead the VopSound for now :)

you should make your own thread for this so we can see updates in the first post

Hi Flake,

This mod is really just sitting on the back-burner at the moment so that I can concentrate on some actual units I'm working on, it was only really meant as an experiment and contribution to what the others at the beginning of the thread were working towards.

As such, if anyone wishes - they may open the sen_weapons config file and then copy and paste the different fire modes along with the tweaked dispersion values onto their own mods - even the Vopsound one if they have permission to do so.

Ultimately I'm hoping that someone like Thunderbird or one of the more mainstream mod teams can make use of our findings (using it as a source) then add and improve upon it to their own work in future, that way it will end up being part of something greater in the long run.

If that never happens then eventually we'll probably do it ourselves and release it to the public, probably along with custom weapon models, sounds and scripts 'etc', but right now it's not our highest priority.

In the meantime I'll quite gladly offer any assistance or advice for anyone wishing to add these features to their own addons.

Regards,

-- Archangel.

First off, I did a fair amount of dispersion work in Arma1, that I'm thinking about porting over to ArmA2 (including the new A2 weapons, of course) for release. Couple of quick questions, in case anyone knows out of the blue:

1. As most of us are aware, when the config dispersion value for a given weapon increases, the projectiles become more disperse. (i.e. less acurate). However, does anyone know what this number actually means? From my testing in Arma1, using a weapon dispersion value of zero yields absoutely NO dispersion, as expected. But, for instance, what does a weapon dispersion value of 0.5 really mean? Also, anyone know if projectile speed is already "baked" into this dispersion number? This info is integral due to the nature of my dynamic dispersion mod.

2. As an initial step in testing the question above, in Arma2 I created a modified M16A4 giving it the following config values:

class M16A4_MOD : m16a4 {
   displayName = "BUBGUN";
   dispersion = 0.5;
   descriptionShort = "BUBGUN";
};

My hope was that the new gun would fire at a max of a 45 degree angle out of the barrel for a quick explanation. To my surprise however, as the player I fired several rounds and there was no noticable dispersion to speak of. Based on what I remember from Arma1, this dispersion value would affect both player and AI alike, with aiDispersionCoefX and aiDispersionCoefY affecting only the AI.

Question is, does this dispersion value somehow not affect the player in Arma2?

And if so, how then in Arma2 do we affect dispersion in player fired weapons?

Edited by MadRussian