dslyecxi

Dslyecxi's ArmA2 Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures Guide Published

Awesome work, Ds! What makes it even better is that it can be applied in other games aswell, more or less!:yay:

i'm not quite sure what to make of the additional helicopters (Sea Knight, Sea Stallion) mentioned in the guide. they are not in the game and i haven't seen any community-made ones yet, either. might they be coming in a patch?

Same story as in the first guide - they're listed to flesh out that section, with the expectation that they'll show up in community content. So, for anyone reading who knows how to do vehicles... hint, hint... ;)

Could someone post a link to the the first TTP for ArmA, please ?

It's at this page but of course I highly recommend the new one instead of it - much better composition, info, etc.

But when comes the German version?

Know anyone that'd be interested in translating it? I'm always open to that.

@everyone else - thanks for all the kind words! It was a lot of fun to put together, and it's very rewarding to see that others are getting something out of it as well. :)

Again my compliments on your guide dslyecxi, just like the previous one an outstanding piece of work. I'll recommend my Crazy Ivans to have a read through it before heading out into the bushbush that is Chernarus.

Bravo!

Kimmy

A massive amount of effort and time again on behalf of the community.

A fantastic reference, thank you.

P

Thanks, good info there.

Respect! Thx for your work on this guide :cool:

To all -

I have some plans to do a "Quick Start" version of the guide at some point. This may be as simple as providing a bunch of links in an indexed format that take you to various positions in the guide.

My question to you guys is - from your point of view, what do you think would make the best quick-start sections? The intent of course being to convey the most common stuff as expeditiously as possible. I'm interested in getting feedback from a variety of different perspectives on this, as I'm guessing there are some varying opinions as to how much equates to a quick-start, what exactly needs to be known on average, etc.

So, if you have a moment to think about it and reply, please do. It's appreciated.

Is it downloadable so it can be read offline?

I quickly put it into PDF version (a pdf file for each section of the guide) so that I could view it offline whenever I want to refer to it.

Now I could put this up on my server for download but only if Dslyecxi would agree - I don't want to step on any toes here - in fact if you want them Dslyecxi i'll send them so you can host them..

I quickly put it into PDF version (a pdf file for each section of the guide) so that I could view it offline whenever I want to refer to it.

Now I could put this up on my server for download but only if Dslyecxi would agree - I don't want to step on any toes here - in fact if you want them Dslyecxi i'll send them so you can host them..

Send them my way and I'll take a look. You can e-mail them to me at my gmail account, dslyecxi@ you-know-what.

For the record, the plan (if we do an e-book version, which seems likely) is to make it a PDF of the actual printed book, which will be laid out differently/more professionally and more like an actual book. So there's potentially value in a 'direct' PDF version like what Desrat mentions, and then there's the more book-esque value that will come from the 'pro' PDF version.

Depends what you mean by "quick start". Do you mean something that will link to the most important sections? Just a shorter version for beginners who don't want to read all that much? Or a version for people who know army stuff but are new to Arma and just need Arma-specific tips?

Send them my way and I'll take a look. You can e-mail them to me at my gmail account, dslyecxi@ you-know-what.

For the record, the plan (if we do an e-book version, which seems likely) is to make it a PDF of the actual printed book, which will be laid out differently/more professionally and more like an actual book. So there's potentially value in a 'direct' PDF version like what Desrat mentions, and then there's the more book-esque value that will come from the 'pro' PDF version.

email sent..

Depends what you mean by "quick start". Do you mean something that will link to the most important sections? Just a shorter version for beginners who don't want to read all that much? Or a version for people who know army stuff but are new to Arma and just need Arma-specific tips?

Quick start, as in, here are the bare minimum pieces of information from the current guide that will give you the most bang-for-buck, so that you can get started immediately and go back to learn more at your leisure.

Select sections of How not to get shot, IFF, Common skills and possibly Combat Lifesaver are probably the most beneficial to have for a quick-start guide, as they explain the folks new to the game how to survive longer, take care of the team mates, not to shoot at everything that moves and some other basics that are different to your typical FPS.

Dyslecxi, I like the guide and how it's progressed since TTP1. Even with my very contrary nature there's very little I don't agree 100% with stated.

However near the end as it kept going and going I started to get a lot of deja vu as certain things seemed to be repeated and the structure seemed to break down somewhat with the last few pages seeming like a very heavy appendix.

However near the end as it kept going and going I started to get a lot of deja vu as certain things seemed to be repeated and the structure seemed to break down somewhat with the last few pages seeming like a very heavy appendix.

Any examples?

I should be comprehensive in my response.

The TTP2 could definately use a "title page" with a large image, as few words of text as you can get away with centered in the page. My first reaction to the initial link is to be overwhelmed by the amount and density of text. A good breather would be a welcome relief before taking the plunge.

Inside there is a low, low % of whitespace. The dark green around each whole page's content should separate the major points of that page. There's no need to circle something twice. Basically any time you have large white header text on a blackish background there should be a gap between the blobs.

The ToC headers should match the headers used in the actual sections. The intro ToC link should anchor to the intro location on that page.

The Foreward should definately stand alone on its own page (or with the opening splash) ahead (ya know, foreward) of the ToC and the rest of the content. Web space is cheap, mice are made to click next many times before failure, and the words of the foreword seem more intimate that way.

Also subsequent pages need a "header bar that is out of the way, distinct from the rest of the visual elements, and informative about what "chapter" the reader is in. The huge honkin' image might have been OK plopped in the center of a first page splash, but not at the top of each and every one. Something like: ArmAII: TT&P --- Communication --- Page 5/11 at the top with little front and back arrows would be nice.

It's nice to have an "About this Guide" section but it should not be confused with the introductory content materials. Also, be consistent with the title of the work. According to the big banner image the title is Dslyecxi's ArmA II Tactics, Techniques, & Procedures Guide for Shack Tactical but in the Introduction moments later it's called ShackTac ArmA2 TTP2 Guide.

Closing notes knocks me off guard. The document is over now? Is this the ToC entry titled Closing words? A sentiment of "OK, on to the content!" would be more helpful in transitioning.

I'm then Intro'd to Shack Tactical, ArmA2, mods/ACE, community sites, and then when I'm all Intro'd out I'm dumped onto The Basic Rifleman without really knowing how or why I'm there. I know ST is the motivation behind TTP2 but anyone reading this that's interested in ST will stick around for a while. A more logical flow is About this Guide -> ArmAII -> ArmAII Community -> Shack Tactical.

---

NEW PAGE

---

Ok, yay, we're reading the little flavor blurb at the top of the Basic Rifleman. So I guess the Basic Rifleman is the building block of everything? It doesn't say that. And inside of a few sentences... THE FIRE TEAM. Wait, what? Weren't we just talking about the individual soldier? We're talking about teams now I guess. I'm lost.

It's good to start with the individual. It's a sensible first step, but do not reference group structures yet to be defined. It is perfectly natural to talk about the individual soldier very generally in the context of group interaction and teamwork. Putting the cart before the horse really breaks the flow. Let details emerge as you build up the reader's knowledge.

I like the Buddy Pair section. It's a little too verbose but it follows naturally from the previous section and prepares you adequately for the next section. Only the major highlights are pointed out.

Situational Awareness should be part of individual responsibilities and come before you start "building up to the platoon." The TrackIR advertisement should be in a differently colored box. It's ancillary to the main point.

Through an odd segue way through friendly fire we're now memorizing the flags and boot prints of all the included people, equipment, and weapons... a little soon don't you think? Maybe it's a little late and should have been covered in to the intro to Chernerus?

How Not To Get Shot / Inventory... this is all individual soldier stuff. The same goes with Cover & Concealment. Weapons and Weapons Employment is such a huge category I would have given it it's own page.

Medicine seems like an "Appendix" type of information. Surely you could give some very brief mention of it under the individual soldier section and gone into proper detail later.

Common Skills... separate from Marksmanship? Weird. Grenades and maps, weirder.

---

NEW PAGE(S)

---

The Platoon! The Squad! The Platoon again! Wait, what?

Attachments... which are part of the platoon, right? Why is this not on the platoon page? The platoon page was tiny compared to the page before it.

MARSOC, Weapons Platoon, Weapons Company are attachments? They're on the Attachments page, must be. You think this page should've been called "Other Forces?" I do too.

---

NEW PAGE(S)

---

Communication, ST-style... so as a normal ArmA2 user I should read/not read? Why not make a general comms page and use a special color section to let you know when "yo, this is for ST specifically?"

"VON and Usage" would be better replaced with "Voice Over Net (VON)." I think that usage is implied. Titles should always be as simple and short as they can be while being accurate. Words are the enemy when trying to convey information. They are a necessary evil. If you can get by with less words, your communication will be more effective.

---

NEW PAGE(S)

---

Battle Drills, Tactics... wait battle drills aren't tactics?

Vehicle familiarization is on the page after combined arms? Quoi? No "this is how all the pieces fit together" section?

---

I know I'm a bit of a pill to people who don't speak organization like I do but I try to help. I've written plenty poorer documents than this, trust me. Over a long time and a lot of gnashing of teeth I'm beginning to come to a better understanding of how these things are written for best effect.

When I've got a bored hour I'll transcribe/condense the TTP2 into an outline format. This should really show any obvious logical flow niggles and give an opportunity to make a cohesive organizational method or theme which sounds abstract but has real binding power to make it all one item. I'll then submit a revised outline that might skip around a little less and not jolt the reader.

As for my previous comment a lot of the close air, artillery, combined arms stuff really feels like deja vu when talking about pro's, con's, and so forth. When common elements are shared by a variety of similar topics it can be helpful to make a general case once and then address the specifics for the separate cases instead of making several individually detailed cases.

Attachments as described on the guide seem more appropriated for company level, and some even battalion level. So it's OK it's not under the "platoon" section.

Thank you very much for taking the time to prepare this fantastic guide.

It's really helping me and I am really looking forward to my first online session with some like-minded players.

I am 35 and a serious gamer, I only want to play ArmA2 online if I can find some like minded players. I am not a milsim obsessive but I would really like to find a grown up team to play this online with who enjoy the sim aspect but realise that it's a game and are primarily in it for the fun and the teamplay. At least a team with some patience and understanding for players new to the world of ArmA. Does anyone know where I could find such a team?

Thank you.

Toby

Frederf,

I appreciate the feedback, but the guide is laid out as it is as the result of a lot of consideration as to how to present the information in a specific order. Your opinions in this case do not match my own, and I can't agree with changing it in any of the cited fashions.

The whole guide was outlined many, many times during development, and the structure was shifted around several times before the current version was settled on.

So, again - thanks, but I prefer it the way it is, and I organized it that way after a lot of consideration.

edit:

I was more interested in your feedback re: the last sections, and with what you've said, I'm happy with how they're laid out as well as what their content consists of. Thanks, though - it is appreciated.

Edited by Dslyecxi

A little off topic and may have been mentioned before but has any one else noticed that Shack Tactical is thanked in the credits page of the game manual....