Sign in to follow this  
TLove

Navy

I know this might be a bit off topic, but I figure Military, ehh Arma 2, they go together. I know a very small portion of my friends are in the Navy and I haven't really had the chance to ask them about it. Seems like a huge portion of people on here have done some type of force or know something about it judging on how well people know about the equipment in the game and such.

Long story short, Within the next year or so I'll be in the Navy. Is there anything I should look out for? What would you recommend my path for the Navy be? and will I get to wear that cool hat? :yay:

And actually just to keep this on topic, Will the air craft carriers in Arma 2 be drivable and such? If not I assume their will there be a mod for that probably.

thats not something u ask on these boards.and no to the aircraft carrier being driveable unless its modded. i recommend www.navy.com for q/a.

Will the air craft carriers in Arma 2 be drivable and such? If not I assume their will there be a mod for that probably.

No, it's just a static object. Why the hell would you want to drive an aircraft carrier anyway?

Why don't you be a real Motivator like me and join the Marine Corps? you can do stuff with the navy, I went on a MEU just like the one featured in this game and was on an LHD like the one in this game.

---------- Post added at 06:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 AM ----------

No, it's just a static object. Why the hell would you want to drive an aircraft carrier anyway?

no you can drive, there is a video on youtube,

also you would want to drive it so you can be closer to an area you are attacking so the aircraft has shorter distance to fly?

---------- Post added at 06:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

thats not something u ask on these boards.and no to the aircraft carrier being driveable unless its modded. i recommend www.navy.com for q/a.

come on man no need to pull Placebo:rolleyes:

You cant drive it the video you are talking about is a modded version, please read the box to the right.

i assume this is the video you are talking about?

take everything your recruiter says with a grain of salt...they'll say just about anything to get you to sign up. If you plan to make a career out of it, do some research, don't jump into it. My recruiter failed to tell me that the rate I signed up for was being phased out, and that advancement was going to be a lot harder. Find a rate that you (think) you'll like, and find out all you can about it (courses, how fast they advance, most likely where you'll be stationed, etc.)

no you can drive, there is a video on youtube,

Link? The only video I've seen is with a flying destroyer, probably using the attachTo command. The LHD in the game is a pre-placed static object and thus not drivable.

also you would want to drive it so you can be closer to an area you are attacking so the aircraft has shorter distance to fly?

Why not just place it where you want it? Driving it somewhere would take ages and all the aircraft on top would fall off because of the physics engine.

take everything your recruiter says with a grain of salt...they'll say just about anything to get you to sign up. If you plan to make a career out of it, do some research, don't jump into it. My recruiter failed to tell me that the rate I signed up for was being phased out, and that advancement was going to be a lot harder. Find a rate that you (think) you'll like, and find out all you can about it (courses, how fast they advance, most likely where you'll be stationed, etc.)

Thanks for the only legit answer. I actually want to be a Fireman once I'm out but there's a part of me saying I need to stick with computers because that's just what I'm good at.

And I wanted to be astronaut once... ah the childhood memories :D

If you are joining the navy go into a position that will give you civillian qualifications such as an Electrician or Fitter/Mechanic etc.

If you are joining the navy go into a position that will give you civillian qualifications such as an Electrician or Fitter/Mechanic etc.

I have a friend whos in the navy and it seems like all he does is take pictures and write about it. He does more sitting around then work itself and STILL gets paid. I'd enjoy doing something like that so I could get off and go do my own thing from time to time. Is that what you're getting at?

I'm a Navy vet. I was stationed aboard the USS Wasp LHD-1 and the USS George Washington CVN-73. I also did some cross deck assignments to AOR's, LA class subs, destoyers, cruisers, and the uSS Wisconsin BB-64.

The four best pieces of advice I can give you:

1) Before you go in - MOVE OUT OF YOUR PARENTS HOUSE!!!!! Get a job you do not like, a small studio apartment, and commit to staying in both until you go to boot camp. The job you do not like part is so that if you realize you do not like you job in the Navy, you can still buckle down and do it. The apartment is so you can learn to live in a small space as well as being responsible for your own actions.

2) There are two types of people in the Navy. Lifers and Dirtbags. If you do your job and have little problems, then the Dirtbags will call you a Lifer even if you have no intention of staying in for 20. The Dirtbags are the ones who resent every minute of their time in even though they volunteered for it. The Dirtbags make themselves out to be the cool party guys, but they're really just pissing their life away.

3) Get into a rating that will give you skills useful in the outside world. I was Electronics Warfare (doesn't exist anymore - sob!). I am now a Technical Program Manager in BioMedical, so good training does pay off.

4) Always remember that it's a job you volunteered for. I really liked the actual job of electronics warfare, but I hated being underway 9 months out of every year as well as being around 5000 people all the time. Everything smelled like dirty socks. I kept my attitude, kept my uniform clean and pressed, and maintained 4.0 evaluations. I also scored some commendations and awards. Do it, do it right, and maintain a professional attitude. You will come out a much more confident and stronger person than if you let it get to you.

Oh yeah, if you get east coast and go to Turkey - DO NOT GET DRUNK AND TAKE A PISS ON A STATUE OF MUSTAFA KEMAL ATATURK!!!!

Don't ask why, just please take my word for it. Two guys from my division did and I didn't see them for a while.....and I had to help do the work they shoulda been there doing :rolleyes:

Edited by -Total-

Thanks for that :)

I'll keep that in mind. All of it.

Oh yeah, if you get east coast and go to Turkey - DO NOT GET DRUNK AND TAKE A PISS ON A STATUE OF MUSTAFA KEMAL ATATURK!!!!

Don't ask why, just please take my word for it. Two guys from my division did and I didn't see them for a while.....and I had to help do the work they shoulda been there doing :rolleyes:

Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the father of modern Turkey!

How many years did they get. :D