Sign in to follow this  
Motivator

Ch-46

How come the CH-46 is not one of the helicopters in the game if you are playing a U.S. Marines? The CH-46 is still the main cargo/assault helo the Marines use even though it will be getting replaced by the V-22 Osprey.

The only logical reason I see is, why put it if you already have the v-22 as a transport, but I dont see why someone can't mod the vehicle in

Same reason everything else that isn't in the game, isn't there :rolleyes:

It's like asking why there are female hookers but no male ones. Because they didn't make them.

How come the CH-46 is not one of the helicopters in the game if you are playing a U.S. Marines? The CH-46 is still the main cargo/assault helo the Marines use even though it will be getting replaced by the V-22 Osprey.

As everyone know at this point the CH-46 is being replaced by the V-22B. Why would put ingame? There would be no reason to. The CH-53 would be a more logical question to poss. The CH-53 is being upgraded to the K model for the Marines. Where as the CH-46 production is no more.

Lol that's rather rich "Oh the CH-53 is being phased out." Excuse me but did anyone else notice the UH-1 Huey?!?

Wooohooo, another "why this vehicle but not the other?" discussion!

:rolleyes:

Short answer: Everything that's not in the game, isn't in there because they didn't make it. End of story.

I would have liked the CH-53, great candidate for atachTo abuse, maybe it will be considered in an expantion.

I think i've read somewhere that the knighthawk was going to replace the seaknight in the near future?

I dunno maybe they didn't like the look of it? Or they tought the fans would complain and ask why did they have to take such and vehicle and rip it off from call of duty 4? :D

Time constraints maybe? They maybe had to choose wich vehicles they wanted to make it into the game?

They got the blackhawk, the uh1, the V-22 and the C-130 so I think they got tons of airtransport for the Blufor :)

Imo they could add some more stuff for the other factions rather than the USMC wich got the fatest amount of hardware available compared to the other factions.

Im talking from a mission editors view here and not any realism standpoint ;)

In my opinion all the worlds vehicles both civilian and military would be cool if BIS made them but they couldn't, It would probably take EA games one of the largest games distributors, games companies all artists to make all the worlds vehicles propably 10 years or so at least...

And getting all the art to maintain a consistent art style and all would be a nightmare then :D

Edited by Commando84

Well, they already got four other transport aircraft: V-22 Osprey, UH-60 Seahawk, UH1Y Venom, and C-130. So why would they need another?

Simple because are cool vehicles and bring some good nostalgia. CH-46F, CH-53D, AH-1W, UH-1N, all great vehicles to be in game, be it made by the originals or mod makers.

Simple because are cool vehicles and bring some good nostalgia. CH-46F, CH-53D, AH-1W, UH-1N, all great vehicles to be in game, be it made by the originals or mod makers.

While they might be cool vehicles, BIS is a business, and they need to make money. Perhaps having worked on a mod gives me a greater insight into exactly how hard it is making functioning addons, but you can bet your arse that I will not include more in my mod than I have to. As much as I would like to include every unit that the Canadian Forces use, I just don't have the time to, so I have to pick and choose. BIS had to do the same thing.

Asking why a unit isn't included is pointless. You'd be spending your time more effectively by making an addon request and hoping an addon maker picks it up.

Abs

From a personal point i would of prefered either the CH46 or CH53 or even both, only because i don't like the look of the V22.

I assume both of these helos will be made available in the future by our excellent modding community, so enjoy the game and just be patient.

Fact: The last Squadron in the USMC Airwing to be replaced by the MV-22 Osprey is, MAG-49 4th MAW HMM 774 Wild Goose. They are based out of Norfolk Va. They are not scheduled to be replaced until 2017. So, the CH46E is going to see action for at least another 7-10 yrs. If you have any questions on this topic, ask me, I work there ;)

PS: The CH53D isnt going anywhere! and the marines use it very much! Should be in game. you will not EVER see a Navy Amphib ship full of marines without A 46 or a 53! They are the work horses of the USMC. Especially the Might Mighty Battle phrog(CH46E)!!! As a matter of fact, the Osprey just did a probational deployment test to Iraq not too long ago... while the 46 got its probational deployment in vietnam... they should have put the 46 in game!!!! Phrogs Phorever!

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

While they might be cool vehicles, BIS is a business, and they need to make money. Perhaps having worked on a mod gives me a greater insight into exactly how hard it is making functioning addons, but you can bet your arse that I will not include more in my mod than I have to. As much as I would like to include every unit that the Canadian Forces use, I just don't have the time to, so I have to pick and choose. BIS had to do the same thing.

Asking why a unit isn't included is pointless. You'd be spending your time more effectively by making an addon request and hoping an addon maker picks it up.

Abs

to counter what you are saying, they made this game based on the marines. The marines dont have that many vehicles... they could have made the 46 and 53... I think it was just an oversight... no biggie... im sure people will make them... Actually im positive ;)

Edited by HeAvY TrAnCe

The USMC jet fighter they have hasn't even been introduced yet and it's in-game. So they liked it and not the Ch-46.

I imagine the ArmA2 devs took a look at the MEU wiki article and read "CH-46 to be replaced by MV-22," dusted their hands, and were relieved they didn't have to model, skin, code, and test another vehicle.

*Looks at Glitches topic*

They tested their vehicles? :D

V-22 Osprey is a tiltrotor vertical/short takeoff and landing (VSTOL), multi-mission air-craft developed to fill multi-Service combat operational requirements. The MV-22 replaces the current Marine Corps assault helicopters in the medium lift category (CH-46E and CH-53D), contributing to the dominant maneuver of the Marine landing force, as well as supporting focused logistics in the days following commencement of an amphibious operation. The Air Force variant, the CV-22, replaces the MH-53J and MH-60G and augment the MC-130 fleet in the USSOCOM Special Operations mission. The Air Force requires the CV-22 to provide a long-range VTOL insertion and extraction capability. The tiltrotor design combines the vertical flight capabilities of a helicopter with the speed and range of a turboprop airplane and permits aerial refueling and world-wide self deployment. this is from GLOBALSECURITY.ORG.one of the best web sites for info on all militaries of the world.as you can see,the V22 is replacing the CH46 and 53 and if not yet fazed out,they soon will be.

...i've read somewhere that the knighthawk was going to replace the seaknight in the near future?

This is true.

I think i've read somewhere that the knighthawk was going to replace the seaknight in the near future?
This is true.

Actually not true, its the Navy that has replaced/is replacing its sea knights with knighthawks, the Marines will keep theirs for quite some time in the future.

That being said imho both the ch-46 and especially the ch-53 should have been in the game, but this was most likely a BIS design decision in order to attract a larger amount of customers. I'm sure some modders will bring both of these older helos into arma 2 sooner or later;)

Edit: Also all the nostalgia talking is pretty much nonsense, the vehicles used ingame and in reality are not comparable to their earlier versions from the vietnam era, do some google or wiki on the stuff you talk about...

Edited by .Phoenix.