Sign in to follow this  
DodgeME

About tanks

1. I would like to see more night tank assaults or heavy scale attacks with them. IR and other scanners that the tanks have would be cool.

2. Realistic speed. The tanks seem to go slow when climbing a not to steap hill like 10-20 degrees!

3. Realistic resistance to LAWS and other projectiles from tanks.

4. Enhanced effects when firing at night biggrin.gif

I agree with the terrible speed at which the tanks climb a slight slope.

Although i do think that the damage to the tanks is fair as far as infantry assault weapons are concerned.

Infantry weapons are ever increasingly more deadly.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I agree with the terrible speed at which the tanks climb a slight slope.

<span id='postcolor'>

Get out and push! tounge.gif

the speeds better than c&c renegade

i had one go up a 60% sandy grade at full speed and i parked it. didnt slide an inch heh.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DodgeME @ Mar. 07 2002,18:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">4. Enhanced effects when firing at night biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Mean such as these:

nightshoot7.jpg

Here some more:

Night firing 2

Night firing 3

Night firing 4

Night firing 5

What i really want to see for OFP 2 is BIS getting rid of the "arcade action radar display" that takes away a great deal of immersion for me, and instead implement proper Sensors with believable capabilities and specs for every weapon platform, such as TADS/PNVS for the Apache

and similar counterparts for the MI-24, AH-1 etc.

SU-25 and A-10´s should have a radar that operates more believable, so that the radar can´t tell if the target is "hot" and therefore occupied (assuming it´s static), it should only distinguish between stationary and moving objects. To tell if a vehicle is manned and operating, Thermal/IR sensors would be necessary that are sensitive enough to acquire temperature changes that are very weak, if the Engine/APU of a potential target/threat is not running. If the engine is running, not the whole target should be lit equally, but only the location of the target that emmits the most "heat" when seen through Thermal sights.

All this is also true for armored vehicles, that should have Thermal/IR operating within believable specs instead of the action display, and no radar at all for MBT´s. The M1 of that time period had no IVIS, that would enable the TC to see targets that had been spotted in relation to his own tank/unit via a computer display, the job back then was done visually, as most of it is still done today in ground warfare. Instead of the action display for vehicles that have radar, such as selfpropelled AAA, a true radar display, like the currently inoperable Texture in the ZSU-23-4 would be more appropiate. Of course it´s harder to play this way, but you are not getting that arcade feeling as it´s present now when vehicles are fooling around in a mission- they are more like UFO´s regarding their target acquiring capabilities.

I know that OFP is no real simulation and it surely would be hard for some people to play this way, but there could be an option in the preferences where you could choose between a more realistic representation of vehicles, or instead want everything arcade. Who wouldn´t want to see through a Thermal sight seeing the engine of a M1 Abrams or T-72 glowing in the night?

Just some thoughts.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DodgeME @ Mar. 07 2002,17:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2. Realistic speed. The tanks seem to go slow when climbing a not to steap hill like 10-20 degrees!<span id='postcolor'>

I notice when my platoon of tanks goes up a hill that the AI tanks always have no problem, but my tank always struggles to get up hills that they just fly up. Is the key you use to run faster also the key you press to make the tank faster? it does not seem to be the case.

I don't know for the Frogfoot, but A10 do not have radar. They use IR and TV sighting systems to lock targets and fire Mavericks, and CCIP calculation for dumb bombs.

Whis'

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Mar. 07 2002,20:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">dont forget to fix the smoke<span id='postcolor'>

What's to fix?

Only thing would be AT missiles smoke trails and a "barrel roll" to them.

And wind to clear to smoke, naturally.

Or have you seen tank firing IRL...?

the tank smoke.. when you fire there is massive black and grey smoke that obscures your view for several seconds... this isnt the 1800s we dont use black powder anymore.. big flash and a whisp of smoke is all that there should be.. not a massive plume that encompasses the entire tank.

What you describe there is my dream game Satchel! smile.gif I would really like a more realistic simulation of all vehicles.

Now I play OFP when I feel like playing a soldier and then “Steal Beasts†when I feel like doing some tank battles.

OFP shouldn’t be as realistic as SB but a bit more realism would be great. I don’t think we will see any game like that soon though…maybe if BIS do a OFP2 confused.gif

Yes the blast think makes your view very bad for some secs making it hard to see what is happening. Also being more realistic is good biggrin.gif

Guest Scooby

Just one little thing about blast of tanks cannon. It should kill or severly injure soldiers who are in front of it up to distance of 50 meters.

Yeah, but then you couldn't run around in front of a tank in MP that only has a gunner in it smile.gif

Cheers,

Dr. Charm

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Mar. 07 2002,21:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the tank smoke.. when you fire there is massive black and grey smoke that obscures your view for several seconds... this isnt the 1800s we dont use black powder anymore.. big flash and a whisp of smoke is all that there should be.. not a massive plume that encompasses the entire tank.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, they do still use a 'black powder'... Well not exactly the same as they used in 17th century, but it is still powder...

I'd like to know, have You ever seen a tank firing IRL?!?!?

I have... Actually I have fired several hundred shots with BMP-2 and have seen T-72s and BMP-1s firing IRL. And have seen a video clip of Challenger 2 firing. See for details.

Here's a little trick I use to get around the annoying smoke:

Fire and then quickly change to 3rd person view if I absolutely must see the results right away. Not the way it should be, but hey it's better than waiting for the cloud to clear

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Mar. 07 2002,19:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the tank smoke.. when you fire there is massive black and grey smoke that obscures your view for several seconds... this isnt the 1800s we dont use black powder anymore.. big flash and a whisp of smoke is all that there should be.. not a massive plume that encompasses the entire tank.<span id='postcolor'>

Eh, yes. When a tank fires there *is* massive smoke that obscures the tank's view. IRL I mean.

There is also a terrible smell, but it would be too much to ask BIS to implement that smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 08 2002,17:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There is also a terrible smell, but it would be too much to ask BIS to implement that smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Baaah and they call this game realistic, I want scratch n sniff Opf dammit wink.gif

Abrams =

Speed - Maximum 42 mph (Governed)

Speed - Cross Country 30 mph

Speed - 10% Slope 17 mph

Speed - 60% Slope 4.1 mph

Acceleration

(0 to 20 mph) 7.2 Seconds

abram10.jpg

Main Armament

Rifled Cannon 120mm M256

Smooth Bore Cannon

Commander's Weapon .50 Cal M2 Machinegun

Coaxial Weapon 7.62 M240 Machinegun

Loader's Weapon 7.62 M240 Machinegun on Skate Mount

The turret is fitted with two six-barreled M250 smoke grenade launchers, one on each side of the main gun. The standard smoke grenade contains a phosphors compound that masks thermal signature of the vehicle to the enemy. A smoke screen can also be laid by an engine operated system.

Game could use some of that...... biggrin.gif

ok here is a video..

its kinda long but at the very end you see a nice closeup of the gun firing..

http://knox-www.army.mil/center/tsmabrams/_video/m1a1%20web.mpg

(bad music alert!wink.gif

notice how after the flash there is just a small wisp of smoke the comes from the barrel.. not a towering sooty grey plume that encompases half the planet..

also a sort of *bug* in OFP with the smoke is if your moving foreward and fire the smoke wont go behind you.. it will majically stay in front of you just like if you were firing from sitting still...

I worte my Uncle (e-mail)about it, he is a mechanic and was in aberdeen for a few years prior to the gulf and after so im sure he saw a few, I asked him if he ever saw or if he knew anyone I could ask about this... he'll probably get back to me today..

and yes I have seen a takn fire IRL, the local national guard armory has a few M60s that they had out at the airport one day and people could come and watch.. it was sort sort of expedition/test, they only shot 5 times each though.. there was more dust than smoke from what I could see and it was nowhere near as bad as in OFP.