Sign in to follow this  
Fox '09

ArmaHolic ArmA 2 Optimization

QQQqqq

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Hello everyone. I saw this game about two weeks ago and I fell in love. I said to myself that I had to get my hands on this game but first I had to buy a computer. I'll be honest I really don't know much about computers so I'm here asking for some help. I ordered a Dell Studio XPS 7100 that I build up and to me I think it's ok but like I said I don't know much. I'll write down the specs of my computer and can someone please tell me if this is a good pc for gameing or not.

Studio XPS 7100 Minitower

Studio Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB GDDR5

AMD Vision Black Label

6GB DDR3 SDRAM,1333MHz, 2x2GB+2x1GB

1.5TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Blu-ray 6X BD-R, DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability

THX TruStudio PC

should be good, ArmA 2 should run fine on it. Post here with the results...

Thanks man. The guy that took the order of me PC said this was a beast of a PC I hope he is right. Do u think I could run this game on it's highest setting this PC?

2.8GHz, reccomend overclocking it to 3.4 and that will boost performance massively!

its just make the frequency of the CPU (the ghz) more basically, so from 2.4GHz to 3GHz. you change the FSB frequency and the voltage and get much better performance. i'm no good at definitions, google it.

its done through the bios.

Definitely do some research on overclocking if you've never done it before. You don't want to boost speed (or especially voltage) too much unless you want a dead CPU.

Motherboard shouldn't allow you to give it to much voltage to break it, they usually shut your pc down (especially newer ones)

Overclocking should be a last resort after all other settings have been tweaked to get max performance.

Overclocking (especially without much PC experience) can lead to many problems of overheating, instability and possibly hardware failure.

True that newer boards have OC protection but its certainly not good for the CPU to overclock it without proper cooling and knowledge.

my friend has a fairly cheap build, Q6600, HD 4670 (used to have E6300) which runs arma 2 nicely and at reasonable settings. If you're asking to run it at super high settings... i wouldn't be surprised..

Hello, been a while since I either have been here on this forum or played Arma II.

The reason is because my old computer (Geforce 9800GT, E6600 2.6Ghz and 2GB RAM) just wasn't enough.

It ran fine singleplayer, but as soon as i played online the FPS flew down to around 20.

I had enough and pretty much threw the game to the ground.

But!

Now I am back, with a new computer, and as it was a long time since I had an eye on how the hardwaremarket looked like I'm not up to date.

The new computer is: i7 930 2.88Ghz, ATI 5870HD and 6 GB RAM with Windows 7 64.

I haven't recieved the parts yet for me to be able to test the game, so I ask you guys here.

Will multiplayer still make me want to **** something up?

Will this system be able to run this game online (coop) without 20FPS at the lowest settings possible?

I've paid around 1500 USD for this computer, so I rather hope so!

Best regards, Borg.

EDIT: If i'm at the wrong topic, please, spank me.

Edited by Borg

Wow, Borg your new PC is the exact same as mine. i7 930 and a 5870 with 6GB DDR3 RAM. Anyway, as soon as I got my i7 930, i pushed it to its limits and got a stable overclock of 4GHz by raising my vcore only slightly, I reccomend a 3.6 overclock and you'll run ArmA 2 very, very well indeed.

I run ArmA 2 from an SSD, something else thats worthwhile is a RAMDisk, with 6GB RAM you can make a 3GB ramdisk and get great performance from that then you got the other 3GB for ArmA 2 and your system.

Wow, Borg your new PC is the exact same as mine. i7 930 and a 5870 with 6GB DDR3 RAM. Anyway, as soon as I got my i7 930, i pushed it to its limits and got a stable overclock of 4GHz by raising my vcore only slightly, I reccomend a 3.6 overclock and you'll run ArmA 2 very, very well indeed.

I run ArmA 2 from an SSD, something else thats worthwhile is a RAMDisk, with 6GB RAM you can make a 3GB ramdisk and get great performance from that then you got the other 3GB for ArmA 2 and your system.

Oh, nice! :)

Yeah, but if I overclock that much, I will probably need to buy a better cooling system right? Or will stock cooling do the work? :S

no, stock cooling will not work.

Some good choices are the Mugen 2, Megahalem, TRUE,

i'd list more but I can't remember the rest.

no' date=' stock cooling will not work.

Some good choices are the Mugen 2, Megahalem, TRUE,

i'd list more but I can't remember the rest.[/quote']

Hmmm, okay, thanks!

I think I'll stay with default settings on my i7 for a while...

Just to get a feel of it! ^^

I am now doing testing for OA - will update thread when done.

Might be better if the OA Optimisation thread is a separate one? It's your baby so I leave it up to you, IMO it'd be better if they were kept separate though :)

that's fine, I'll link to that thread instead. I already made a post there for me to edit later.

Hi all looking for some advice here, like most of you I am doing my best to maximise my pc in order to play Arma 2. But I am a complete noob when it comes to the likes of config changes etc.

I was wondering if someone could be so kind as to advise me on how to get the most from my system and explain from the ground on up the config changes.

I7920 266 overclocked to 288ghz

6 gig of ram

nvidia gtx 295

I am using al the latest drivers

thanks in advance

what settings do I need to put in shortcut for an AMD Phenom II X6 processor?

Might be better if the OA Optimisation thread is a separate one? It's your baby so I leave it up to you, IMO it'd be better if they were kept separate though :)

Yep! I totally agree, a new separate thread for OA optimization will be better.

Anyone know how to get to the config files on the steam version of OA?

Have searched these and steam forums but no luck.

Edited by Tijai