Sign in to follow this  
Crazyramzi

Performence is horrible =(

Well I was so excited about ARMA 2 and all so I bought the German version (while I'm in Canada =p)(digital).

I set it up and all and I was experiencing a lot of lag but I was like "oh, i just have to set the graphics options first" so I did but still...

I will get around 10 fps with no scripts or anything just me in the editor with these settings:

Blah means using advanced settings or useless to know.

Visibility: 1600

Quality:blah

Fillrate:88%

Resolution:1600x1050

Texture detail:low

Terrain detail:low

pp effects:low

Video memory:very high

objects detail:very low

AF=off

Shadows detail:low

Now before I bought this game I thought my computer could handle this at medium high to medium low which are decent to me.

I can even run games like Crysis or Farcry 2 on medium high to high with no problem so I don't know what's going on here.

Anyways here are my comp specs (laptop) Acer 8920g

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz

3Gb RAM

Vista home premium 32bit

NVIDIA Geforce 9500m GS

Directx 10 supported

I have no junk whatsoever on my comp, I only use it for games and it's practically empty.

Anyone know why this is happening?

That graphics card seems very weak. Is that an onboard one by any chance? The '500' type Nvidia cards really aren't good for gaming.

Crysis isn't that demanding.

That rig is pretty weak, overall.

Minimal PC Requirements

CPU: Dual Core Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz / Intel Core 2.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster

RAM: 1 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM or faster

Optimal PC Requirements

CPU: Intel Core 2.8 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster

RAM: 2 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT / ATI Radeon 4850 with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM or faster

Edited by MulleDK19

Alright. Something you have to understand about laptops and gaming. Where you have them positioned for starters, matters. If it's not propped up to where it can "breath" underneath, your parts are going to overheat. Laptops get hot. Especially gaming laptops. Or if you use it for gaming etc. I would never ever ever recommend buying a lap top solely for gaming. If you're using a laptop for school, buy a cheap one. One that has decent specs and a decent sized HD, CPU, RAM. Heck, even having a dedicated video card improves the overall performance. Better quality when using it for media as well. Putting over 1000 dollars down on a laptop is a waste of money. Let's face it. For the specs you get, spending 3000 Dollars on a gaming laptop, especially for what specs you get, is a complete waste of money. Also, you have to lug it around with you to class, as well as books. I don't know about you, but more than 5lbs for a laptop is far too much.

(^^ I know your laptop isn't a gaming one from just looking at it. Making a point)

What maddmatt said is correct. Your laptop's video card is a stripped down version of even the desktop equivalent 9000 series. It's not a very good card, even for a game like this. Expect your performance to be low. As I said before. It's a good idea to not put your laptop on a flat surface. Let it breath. The best thing for you to get is one of those laptop fans. As seen here, for an example: http://tinyurl.com/obagql (Not a virus, links to newegg.com) Again, heat = overheating = low performance.

TL: DR = Laptops are bad gaming computers. Price/Power ratio is unreasonable compared to a PC. Laptops overheat while playing games. Buy a laptop cooler.

Edited by joethe33

My card is integrated so that's not good =(

If I upgrade to 4gb ram would that increase fps? If so by how much?

I might do that since I have 4 slots.

oh man I was so dumb when I bought this laptop =( I was planning on returning it back to get a desktop when I bought it but I went on a vacation and my warranty expired... omfg

Edited by Crazyramzi

Your laptop's video card is a stripped down version of even the desktop equivalent 9000 series.

The GeForce 9500 GT is pretty much the GeForce 8600 GT yet made under a smaller 65nm fab, but cheaper. I guess GS is not far from.

lol sry but yout system is horrible.

arma uses 1.5 gb max you must buy a new pc not ram.

Perhaps 0.000000001 fps.

You need a much stronger CPU and GPU.

It would, very slightly. When I say slightly, it's nothing noticeable.

If you want my honest opinion. Save up and build a computer. I can give you some resources for help if you need it. I would spend ~1000 USD for one that plays this game extremely well and others.

RAM doesn't increase FPS.

Your CPU and Video cards do.

Plus the optimal ram is 2 GB anyways... and you have 3.

Your best bet would be to save some $ up and build a 600-700 dollar gaming rig... Then play ArmA 2.

NEVER BUY, ALWAYS BUILD.

The GeForce 9500 GT is pretty much the GeForce 8600 GT yet made under a smaller 65nm fab, but cheaper. I guess GS is not far from.
Most of the 8000 series and 9000 series are the same CHIP. Different board and cooling ups the efficiency of the 9000 series. Same card though, you're right.

Still, "M" as in, Mobile Graphics cards are inferior to even their desktop counterparts.

RAM doesn't increase FPS.

Your CPU and Video cards do.

Plus the optimal ram is 2 GB anyways... and you have 3.

Your best bet would be to save some $ up and build a 600-700 dollar gaming rig... Then play ArmA 2.

NEVER BUY, ALWAYS BUILD.

Pretty hard to build without buying some hardware. Unless you're really really 1337 :P

well never built a comp before but there's a first for everything.

Anyways thanks for the info guys.

lol my friend made a bet with me if I lose 60 pounds(I'm a bit overweight =/) he will give me 500$ but if I don't than I'll have to give him 500$ which I can use for my save up money. =(

Better go to the gym soon lol.

For you crazy. If you're clueless about technology. (Most people are) Then here is some help to move you along. Building computers is actually pretty simple. Also, don't take offense to the above comment, but I can only assume because of your situation. Aside from the fact that I don't know you at all.

Browse here for some help.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/building/

Most people will also recommend, www.newegg.com for the cheapest hardware.

If you need help in the future when you obtain the money, send me a PM and I'll help you.

Edited by joethe33

Well I can't buy from newegg because that's American and I would have to pay a border fee for the shipping since I'm in Canada. But would you recommend tiger direct?

well never built a comp before but there's a first for everything.

Anyways thanks for the info guys.

lol my friend made a bet with me if I lose 60 pounds(I'm a bit overweight =/) he will give me 500$ but if I don't than I'll have to give him 500$ which I can use for my save up money. =(

Better go to the gym soon lol.

If you're overweight. I wouldn't be looking into ArmA2 my friend. But to the track in the neighbourhood ;)

Clogged Arteries = Bad = No ladies = no real fun in life = depression = death.

So at the end of the day. Don't worry about your PC, and get outside ;)

It's about the same, so yes. They are both very competitive with each other.

Clogged Arteries = Bad = No ladies = no real fun in life = depression = death.

;)

Not exactly, trust me ;)

AMD Anthalon 4600+ 2.4 ghz Dual Core 64x2 upgraded from 2 to 4 gig, upgraded from Nvidia 7900OS to Nvidia 9800 GT 1gig ddr3 went from really crappy fps (below 20's) on Low an very low to consistant 250-30..spikes to 40ish with new components on normal. view distance lower 2000+

AMD Anthalon 4600+ 2.4 ghz Dual Core 64x2 upgraded from 2 to 4 gig, upgraded from Nvidia 7900OS to Nvidia 9800 GT 1gig ddr3 went from really crappy fps (below 20's) on Low an very low to consistant 250-30..spikes to 40ish with new components on normal. view distance lower 2000+

Its funny though, I ran arma 2 on my old machine which is a P4 3.0ghz single core OC to 3.6ghz, 2GB ram, 9600GT 512mb Asus, 500watt PSU running Vista 32bit and on medium to high settings i can run it with almost little to no lag. Apart from some very annoying bugs it ran fine. :confused:

I have a T7700 with an 8700m and I'd consider it the bare minimum for enjoyably playing on a laptop... take the advice and build a desktop smart!

The game Crashes to desktop all the time.Every 10-20 minutes when i play it crashes.Some times with a message about it needs more memory on KB or something.My system is a Core 2 Quad 6600,4 GB DDR 2 1066,2 Radeon 3870 512 MB each on Crossfire and i play the games on a 22" 1680x1050.I have the latest drivers, patch 1.1,Service pack 2 on vista.It says Out of memory (requested 1708 KB) Reserved 294212 KB Total Free 10397 KB Free Blocks 139,Max Free size 1595 KB when crashes..Anyone knows a solution to that.!??

With very slow graphics card (as is the case with all on board cards) these are the two settings that are probably most important

Fillrate:88%

Resolution:1600x1050

With native resolution 1680x1050 (which is best for the UI etc.) I would say you should lower the fillrate to 50%. Other option is to lower resolution but in that case you will not only make the game resolution lowered but also all UI will be low res.

Have the same problem as Dimmis80. If I play singleplayer or host a multiplayer coop game for 2 players, the game crashes very often. Somtimes without error messages, sometimes there is not enough mem, sometimes "cannot commit" if it trys to make a savegame. The most crashes are in the singleplayer campaign. Less in multiplayer maps like "Supermächte". Sometime it chashes even if the pc is idle (me => wc).

My system: Core 2 Quad Q9300, GTX 280, Asus Rampage Extreme (not overclocked), 4GB Ram, Windows Vista 64 Bit Ultim.

Its funny though, I ran arma 2 on my old machine which is a P4 3.0ghz single core OC to 3.6ghz, 2GB ram, 9600GT 512mb Asus, 500watt PSU running Vista 32bit and on medium to high settings i can run it with almost little to no lag. Apart from some very annoying bugs it ran fine. :confused:

Please tell me what's your secret of optimizing the PC setup in a way that gives such a good performance on low end CPU like yours ? :D

I'm really struggling here trying everything i know and best so far is normal details 1280 x 1024 running with average 10-20 fps. Empty game world run at 40-70 fps, but with AI in it really stutters.