Sign in to follow this  

ArmA 2 uses only 1 GPU (HD4870X2)

I'd say get yourself a 4890 - I have no doubt you'll be satisfied with it's performance. Spend the rest on CPU and or mobo upgrades.

is there no solution to the problem?

i have also this bug with the ati 4870X2

is that a driver problem?

or is that a arma2 problem?

Hi, I don't know if you read the thread (... ;)), but I proposed a temporary solution to the problem here... (see -winxp program start parameter) We all run ArmA2 with both our 4870 GPU's and get more FPS, but the game seems to stress the CPU much more than the GPU, so it still laggs in some places...

It is mainly a game "problem", because if you change the launch configuration of the game, it works. But I don't think it really is a problem. It's just that either ATI or BIS have decided that Crossfire is not optimized yet (apparently on Vista and newer Windows versions, as "-winxp" implies that this works on XP [NEED CONFIRMATION] ), so they preferred to deactivate it.

I'd like to add to this whole ArmA2 Crossfire debate.

I've been doing some experiments and certainly on my system with the latest 9.6 drivers (and tested using older drivers) there is no crossfire going on in game.

I use Vista Ultimate and have tried with and without the -winxp parameter.

As you will see from my screengrab below crossfire is enabled but ArmA2 is only using one of the GPU and curiously enough it's not the first GPU it's using but the second.

I'd very much like to hear a comment from Suma regarding this if he has the time thank you.

singleGPU.jpg

Jman;1313388']I've been doing some experiments and certainly on my system with the latest 9.6 drivers (and tested using older drivers) there is no crossfire going on in game.
Judging from the screenshot, you've tried it in windowed mode. By design Crossfire only works full screen.

Could you try again in full screen mode, see if both GPUs are used? I can confirm btw that my 4870X2 does use both GPUs at least under Windows 7 with the -winxp parameter.

That'll be it thanks I'll try it. :)

Update: Crossfire now working

Edited by [KH]Jman
Update

Could you try again in full screen mode, see if both GPUs are used? I can confirm btw that my 4870X2 does use both GPUs at least under Windows 7 with the -winxp parameter.

and wich performance you have?

i have windows vista 64

and the performance are low

and wich performance you have?

i have windows vista 64

and the performance are low

I have a dual boot system (both Vista 64 and Windows 7 RC1 64), and Windows 7 gave about 20%-25% higher frame rate than Vista.

I have a dual boot system (both Vista 64 and Windows 7 RC1 64), and Windows 7 gave about 20%-25% higher frame rate than Vista.

no... only vista?

i download now 7......

Edited by Hendrik7777

Jman;1313388']I'd like to add to this whole ArmA2 Crossfire debate.

I've been doing some experiments and certainly on my system with the latest 9.6 drivers (and tested using older drivers) there is no crossfire going on in game.

I use Vista Ultimate and have tried with and without the -winxp parameter.

As you will see from my screengrab below crossfire is enabled but ArmA2 is only using one of the GPU and curiously enough it's not the first GPU it's using but the second.

I'd very much like to hear a comment from Suma regarding this if he has the time thank you.

singleGPU.jpg

Ok so I have a very important question. Looking at your GPU-Z screenshots...I have dual 4850s in crossfire, running a 2.6ghz quad-core phenom, and 3gb of ram. Running the game at 1680x1050 with everything on normal except post processing set to off, I don't even top 30fps in gameplay, no matter what i'm doing in the game. Even at the intro screen, it gets to around 55-60 and hovers back down. So i download GPU-Z and i look at both cards (I think both...it doesn't tell you which card is which, but it gives you two 4850s in the dropdown menu) by opening GPU-Z twice as you did in your pictures. It shows crossfire is enabled.

Well, when i run the game full screen, i'll let it run for a few minutes then alt tab out, and my cards never get above 60-65% load for either. Looking at your screens, your cards are both maxed out apparently (99%), so maybe that's why there's such a terrible FPS for my system? I can run GTA 4 completely maxed out, as well as Far Cry 2. This game, however, hovers around 15-24fps virtually all of the time, even with not much action going on. Even when i set all the game settings to VERY low, i gain no increase in FPS it still hovers around 18-25fps. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I've downloaded ATI tray tools and forced Crossfire on, as well as used all the command lines in previous help posts but my performance is still terrible.

Edited by Zman2k02

Using the WHQL 9.7 drivers fixed the problem for me. Both cores on the 4870X2 are now being used without the need for -winxp.

Driver download links:

2k/XP x86&x64 drivers download (8.631):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L8AIWSOP

Vista/7 x86&x64 (8.630) :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=COO6B3QC

Source: http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/16147-catalyst-9-7-whql-for-2k-xp-and-vista-7-a.html

excuse me, but -winxp is to use when you HAVE windows XP, or when you have Vista ? little confused here lol

Dorph;1413509']Use when u have more than 1 gpu' date=' sli or xfire regardless what os u use[/quote'] not correct. Crossfire is working in all OS's with out any -winxp flag now. Thats with the ARMA2.exe. If you use a rename like Crysis.exe( helps limit the extreme light to dark transitions) you will need the -winxp flag.

We know this, they probably won't fix it cause they never did in all ARMA1 history and they well knew of the problem. It's probably an engine limitation and I learned my lesson and sold my 2x8800GTs back in the day and got 1 GTX260 to replacement.

SLI and Crossfire is FUBAR for ARMA1/ARMA2

We know this, they probably won't fix it cause they never did in all ARMA1 history and they well knew of the problem. It's probably an engine limitation and I learned my lesson and sold my 2x8800GTs back in the day and got 1 GTX260 to replacement.

SLI and Crossfire is FUBAR for ARMA1/ARMA2

Wrong CF CFX SLI triSli works in ARMA1 and 2.

Does crossfire "work" without having to rename .exe "NO" Does crossfire work without having to add -winxp. "NO". Is there any other way to get crossfire to work and see a performance improvement. "NO".

Does crossfire "work" without having to rename .exe "NO" Does crossfire work without having to add -winxp. "NO". Is there any other way to get crossfire to work and see a performance improvement. "NO".

last 9.8 drivers has a profile for arma2. no need to rename exe, and you don't need to add -winxp flag, either ...

stop FUD please

9.3 drivers had a arma2 profile. I hope 9.8 drivers have a arma 2 profile. Anyway, It sounds like you have crossifre "working" & notice a performance improvement with crossfire. Plz tell me how you got Arma 2 to utilize crossfire. TKS

what do you do to see if it works or not?

what do you do to see if it works or not?

You can use a tool such as GPU-Z for example. For my part, enabling cross fire reduces game performance.

You can use a tool such as GPU-Z for example. For my part, enabling cross fire reduces game performance.
GPUz doesnt always show whats up , same as Everest wont show the real deal all the time, the way you tell is by seeing your frame rate. One gpu running out of my four will give me 15fps, two/30, four/60 ect. its really easy to see, Turn AI off, and or turn CF off, then both. But then if you use the Campaign or some SP missions theirs some wacky capish stuff... so you can run much higher filters when that happens.Also if you use vista or win7 you have Vysnc on, all the time. So on a LCD with 60hz refresh you can be very limited to your frames. My be cut in half alot if your hitting , say 59fps or less will give you 30s,(but Bis has built in tribufffer, so may get 40s) two cards keep you closer to you Vysnc limit than one.... If you can turn Vysnc off you will really see the boost CF and CFX gives. tho with the lame tearing that can happen.

GPUz doesnt always show whats up , same as Everest wont show the real deal all the time, the way you tell is by seeing your frame rate

Sorry but i don't understand this part. If GPU-Z shows me my both GPU are working, i got crossfire enabled, don't I ?

well in XP32 and vista 32 (not sure about win7_32) its seems to show it. in x64 setups theres some issue with it. Then theres the "usage" readings in some programs, that dont seem to actully see the other GPUs working, but when you disable CF, or Cat AI it still shows the same usage, but your frames are cut in half. This is again with x64 Os's... Or in V64 where you get all gpus showing usage one time then the next its not... but the only way to really know is to play the game. Is it better or worse with CF on? or if you believe Fraps( i do) or the in game counter is showing the performance you see ... XP64 and the current 9.8( the hot fix seemed to give a hitch/jerk/stutter..) CF on is twice as much as CF off. NO -winxp flag, it will break CF.