Sign in to follow this  
MehMan

Turrets on planes..

If the engine still can't handle turrets on planes then the attachTo command might be able to achieve it without the MP lag issues that the 'setpos' methods had .

:868:

Guest RKSL-Rock
If the engine still can't handle turrets on planes then the attachTo command might be able to achieve it without the MP lag issues that the 'setpos' methods had .

:868:

Wll if the UAV's work properly (anyone with the game fancy writing up a little report?) then there is no reason we should be able to have Sniper/TIALD/Damocles etc

I did a quick test with the MQ but it seems that thos you can move arround witht the turret you can only shoot in a straight line forward.

Part of config

class Turrets
 {
  class MainTurret: NewTurret
  {
   minElev = -90;
   maxElev = 38.200001;
   initElev = -45;
   minTurn = -180;
   maxTurn = 180;
   initTurn = 0;
   maxHorizontalRotSpeed = 100;
   maxVerticalRotSpeed = 100;
   startEngine = 0;
   body = "mainturret";
   gun = "maingun";
   animationSourceBody = "mainturret";
   animationSourceGun = "maingun";
   class Viewoptics
   {
    initAngleX = 0;
    minAngleX = -30;
    maxAngleX = 30;
    initAngleY = 0;
    minAngleY = -100;
    maxAngleY = 100;
    minFov = "0.20   /100";
    initFov = "0.20";
    maxFov = "0.20";
   };
   soundServo[] = {"",0.010000,1.000000};
   outGunnerMayFire = 1;
   commanding = -1;
   gunBeg = "laser_start";
   gunEnd = "laser_end";
   memoryPointGunnerOptics = "gunnerview";
   selectionFireAnim = "";
   castGunnerShadow = 0;
   viewGunnerShadow = 0;
   gunnerOpticsModel = "\ca\weapons\2Dscope_UAV.p3d";
   gunnerForceOptics = 1;
   weapons[] = {"M197","Laserdesignator_mounted","HellfireLauncher"};
   magazines[] = {"750Rnd_M197_AH1","Laserbatteries","8Rnd_Hellfire"};
  };
 };

Guest RKSL-Rock
I did a quick test with the MQ but it seems that thos you can move arround witht the turret you can only shoot in a straight line forward.

Still the same old OFP and ArmA limit then. That is a shame

Yeah, would have been nice to have this built into the engine. But with the new batch of commands, modding aircraft turrets has just got a whole lot easier :)

I'm still sort of hoping this could be fixed in a upcoming patches.

On the other hand... if it would have been simple fix, why wouldn't it be already included?

On the other hand too, where do we get to use this feature? Well there is the all known AC-130, then the Vietnam era plane with multiple turrets, then few WW2 multiple turret bombers. I mean... in a way, I can understand BIS evaluating this feature and the work to put for it and decide that we don't add plane turret code just for "4 planes" worth.

I mean yes its killing me that VTE cant have AC-130 and the other gunship planes, but... there are many other features/bugs which I feel much better Suma and the gang working on.

In a nutshell; I still wish they would add this on a patch :)

UNN

Quote:

Yeah, would have been nice to have this built into the engine. But with the new batch of commands, modding aircraft turrets has just got a whole lot easier

True...although scripting etc isn't my cup of tea, i still think it will be very demanding (like Rock, and you i guess said, the more turrets the more demanding).

Somehow i think even with the current extra codes, there might be a big breakthrough on this...BUT imho there are still several key codes missing afaik to make it usefull.

Example: So VBS2 has a working AC-130, but from SP/MP tests i noticed without a proper sight adjustment (i forgot the codes they used for the FCS? on tanks...) it is plain guess work to hit something with an orbiting aircraft. Speed/angle/altitude for example are all variable factors witch influence aiming/hitting, so a conpensation code set is needed to fully make it usefull. Without it, it is pure guesswork (even a proper sight witch i make for testing) and it is a danger to use when friendly groundtroops are near :D.

So somehow i can understand like Snake Man say, it is a multi problem item. One of those features BIS finds not worth investing in, it looks. Sad imho especially for those who have been here since the first serie and are looking for these things.

Guest RKSL-Rock

Sorry guys initial explorations in the ArmA2 engine suggest that turrets on planes aren't possible. I've spent the day experimenting with various turreted addons. It seems the UAV's rely on a Gamelogic module that 'fakes' the turrets. I'm afraid its a scripted solution we need. :k:

Don't forget, the turret on the UAV lacks something of a gyroscopic stabilizer - without that, when the UAV is circling, you're going to have a hell of a time keeping the crosshairs on a single target (effectively rendering the laser useless).

Don't forget, the turret on the UAV lacks something of a gyroscopic stabilizer - without that, when the UAV is circling, you're going to have a hell of a time keeping the crosshairs on a single target (effectively rendering the laser useless).

If you haven't already, check out our

video posted by Rock earlier in this thread. All that was done in Arma without the benefit of the new Arma2 commands like Attach, lockturret and screentoworld e.t.c

So I think we have enough to do most things.

well i made a small vid with my idea..

separate the turret from the main model and then use the attachto place it.

now dont mind the ugly "ac130" just look at the options and possibility.

RwgatokXebo

sfc.

well i made a small vid with my idea..

separate the turret from the main model and then use the attachto place it.

now dont mind the ugly "ac130" just look at the options and possibility.

sfc.

You realize the optimal altitude for the AC-130 is about 1200, right? Any lower than that and you're just asking for a buttload of bullets, tank shells and missiles up the ass. Try testing it in a more realistic manner, dude.

It is, however, promising.

P.S. I don't mean to be so blunt and rude, but that's how I tend to provide feedback - I don't like sugarcoating my words. I would suggest reshooting your video, but this time from a realistic altitude that AC130 gunships normally operate from, and see how much the cannons really deviate.

Edited by NKato

You realize the optimal altitude for the AC-130 is about 1200, right?

...but this time from a realistic altitude that AC130 gunships normally operate from, and see how much the cannons really deviate.

Actually, the AC-130 will normally operate between 8 and 10 thousand feet, not 1200 (feet OR meters).

its irrevelant how Ac130 really operates. This topic is about turrets on planes and as I can see it is possible to do with new commands.

Thanks SFC.ITZHAK! Good stuff

problem is on the MP side, will it work no matter how bad the ping really is? do server load could coupe with the power needed to synchronize the gunner and the plane

problem is on the MP side, will it work no matter how bad the ping really is? do server load could coupe with the power needed to synchronize the gunner and the plane

In the past for the UAV, we had a looping script that effectivly attached the turret to the plane. So yeah that was two objects being broadcast across the network, to represent one.

With the AttachTo command, there is no need for that. It can all be done localy, with just the calls to attach and detach along with any changes to the attached object, being sent when required?

I've been messing around with the AttachTo command for a while now (yay, thanks for that new one !!!!) and as far as I can tell it should do the job just fine. So all we need is a nice plane (preferably one that can be entered) and some custom-made turrets for it that will be attached.

Come to think about it, its actually quite simple. :)