Sign in to follow this  
jewish freak

Night vision for sights proof of concept

Hello, it's Jewish Freak of the Lost Brothers Mod.

Today, after some work, I managed to get a night vision effect on a weapon's sight.

Well, here's the file for anyone who wants to give it a try:

http://www.idfsquad.com/downloads/milesteg/NVSight.rar

You are free to edit the thing as you see fit, just credit the LoBo team for the work.

Update, Another version for players which replaces the SPR's and M24's sights with the NVG version.

http://www.idfsquad.com/downloads/milesteg/NVSight_PBO.rar

Edited by Jewish Freak
Update

Strange. I didn't see any night vision at all. At least not anything comparable to what I see when I have the default green nightvision on. In fact I saw nothing much at all? :confused:

My monitor brightness is really screwed up, incidentally, and I really haven't been able to fix it - ArmA nights are blacker than black. But I can still see quite fine with the regular NV goggles...I saw nothing in the video though.

Just my monitor?

Regards,

Wolfrug

Strange. I didn't see any night vision at all. At least not anything comparable to what I see when I have the default green nightvision on. In fact I saw nothing much at all? :confused:

My monitor brightness is really screwed up, incidentally, and I really haven't been able to fix it - ArmA nights are blacker than black. But I can still see quite fine with the regular NV goggles...I saw nothing in the video though.

Just my monitor?

Regards,

Wolfrug

Appearently it's caused by your monitor, as long as you can see well in the video, you should be fine.

If you'll post a screen of what you see through the scope, I will probably be able to adjust the texture for your monitor.

It looks like the night vision here is a green alpha texture over the sights. Is that correct?

It looks like the night vision here is a green alpha texture over the sights. Is that correct?

Yes it is, i also has a RVMAT similar to the one used on BIS's muzzle flashes which is responsible for the "light" the scope illuminates.

Perhaps you should have added a small caveat, so users can readjust

their expectations. It isn't true night vision comparable to the in-game NV

goggles, and doesn't well represent present day devices but it is just

good enough to represent an old first-gen image intensifying device (albeit

without the horrible blurring, noise, artefacts and blooming). Since you're

just looking through a green optics view, tracers and flares still appear their

true colours. and it doesn't work too well if you have those pitch black

nights in-game, but it does the job well enough in "theatrical darkness".

Given that nobody else, to my knowledge, has presented anything even

close to this, it's still a great effort and a valuable addon. I'll certainly be

using it (or adapting it). Thanks again.