Sign in to follow this  
Orange Butler

Just got ARMA, better late than never

I just got ARMA, I actually built a new PC after many years and wanted some games. Figured I would get ARMA since I liked Operation Flashpoint back in the day, and might as well get ready for ARMA II.

So for someone like me who has been out of the loop for so long what do I need to get the most from ARMA while I wait for II? Any specific mods? Of Course I did not buy ARMA Gold so I don't have the add on. I found out there was a "gold" version when I got home after buying it...lol.

First, patch your game to v1.14 and the v1.16beta patch if you so desire. For obvious reasons I would recommend

ACE v1.07

ACEIP v1.13

Both of these can be found at

www.armaholic.com

Well let me be clear I have ArmA Combat Operations. So I don't know if that changes what I need or not.

Once you patch to v1.08, then v1.14 you won't need to worry. I have ArmA : Combat Operations as well.

I'd recommend ECS mod,which is basically same as ECP for OFP.

Yep - get patched up to 1.14 or 1.16 and then I'd give ACE or ECS a go.

For MP and fun in the editor -> ACE

For SP -> ECS

If you're running a mod, don't join servers that don't use it. It creates problems for every player on that server in the form of an error message popping up when they can't load the same models and classnames that your game is transmitting.

Thanks for the help guys. Is there a way to use multiple mods or turn them on and off as you want?

You can use either ArmALauncher, or you can use a load of short cuts. Just make modfolders, and learn how to properly set them up, there should be a tutorial floating around here somewhere. ArmALauncher (made by Kegety's) makes this very very easy, just put a check in a box. You can find it here.

I'd start with no mods but a sound fx mod tbh. ACE & other mods change the gameplay completely and have side effects when playing online.

That doesnt mean realism mods are bad. I just wouldn't try them without even knowning how the original game feels. And the only thing ArmA clearly lacks is sound fx. Everything else is fine for a start.

Go & play Evolution. Lots of teamwork, lots of battles, lots of fun.

)rStrangelove;1285589']I'd start with no mods but a sound fx mod tbh. ACE & other mods change the gameplay completely and have side effects when playing online.

That doesnt mean realism mods are bad. I just wouldn't try them without even knowning how the original game feels. And the only thing ArmA clearly lacks is sound fx. Everything else is fine for a start.

Go & play Evolution. Lots of teamwork' date=' lots of battles, lots of fun.[/quote']

Evolution... Teamwork... Haha. No.

My tip is, go to the Tactical Gamer server 2 if you want public teamwork.

Lonewolfing on Evo/Domination tends to loose its novelty after a while, you better go tactical. And ACE is one hell of a mod, it adds a whole new layer to the Arma experience.

Here are the addons you will need if you decide to give TG a chance:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-assault-announcements-sops/137890-info-patches-mods-used-tactical-gamer.html

Edited by sparks50