Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Thanks for the replies. Another problem: I install two sata3 500Gb HDD in RAID 0? or the first operating system and second ARMA2.?

i would go raid 0, as long as you keep your needed files(pictures, documents etc) on another HDD (or a pair of raid 1)

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Drat... I was afraid of that. I didn't want to skimp on anything, but I made the processor my priority so I didn't have much left for a graphics card. I'll have to see what card I can get for a reasonable price that will run it well... I can probably spend $300ish. Might have to upgrade my 640w power supply as well with a better card :o

Keep the card. The 460 is a pretty good one. If you have 300$ to spend, stick a second one (i never heard of 460 @768mb though...you sure it is a 460?). a more powerful PSU may be required

Thanks. I'm running the lowest AA setting (not off) because it makes the trees look MUCH better than when it's completely off... I'll try turning it off completely, at least in desert maps.

I find that i both my PCs perform better if i crank the render resolution higher (125-150%) than keeping AA on. The visual results are the same

460 768mb has less ROPS and memory. Your better off with the 1gb version as they are starting to sell dirt cheap with the 500's series quickly taking their place.

Im running 2 460 1gb's in SLI and the performance to cost is just silly good.

Keep the card. The 460 is a pretty good one. If you have 300$ to spend, stick a second one (i never heard of 460 @768mb though...you sure it is a 460?). a more powerful PSU may be required

Bear in mind this will only work if your motherboard is SLI ready, you have a PSU of at least 700W, but preferably 800W and have a well cooled case (two cards can get pretty hot next to each other).

If you have all of those things, pairing two GTX 460s offers great performance for your money, I have two 1GB 460s in SLI and the scaling is really really good :D

Edited by SW1

i can only estimate. I would say the SLI setup, but not by far. The price should be the same...See if you can find 2x560 (the non TI version) at similar price range of the 460. Should be just a bit more expensive

Edited by PuFu

I find that i both my PCs perform better if i crank the render resolution higher (125-150%) than keeping AA on. The visual results are the same

I find the opposite to be true, using: AA normal, render res 100%, ATOC 0

I assume its my vid ram 896mb (gtx 275 SLI) that limits my higher render res performance.

-Ziggy-;1954532']I find the opposite to be true' date=' using: AA normal, render res 100%, ATOC 0

I assume its my vid ram 896mb (gtx 275 SLI) that limits my higher render res performance.[/quote']

you should have 2x896 =1 792MB if you got 2x275 running in SLI :rolleyes:, so there is plenty of video memory to go. Even so, different video cards performs differently

Edited by PuFu

you should have 2x896 =1 792MB if you got 2x275 running in SLI :rolleyes:, so there is plenty of video memory to go. Even so, different video cards performs differently

Nope, you are wrong here, Pufu.

I made the same assumption. I was ignorant of the facts.

Q: Does SLI double my video memory or clock speeds?

A: No, clock speeds and video RAM are not additive because the video cards are drawing the scene using the same resources. The video memory isn't treated as a single volume because it would require a great deal of cross-communication to gather the require textures and data, which would amount to tremendous slowdowns. The clock speeds aren't combined simply because the hardware is not running at an increased speed; the core speed of a dual-core CPU isn't added, and the same is for multiple GPUs. If it helps to think of it this way, SLI is analogous to adding a second GPU to the system and nothing more.

Under SLI, the data is mirrored between all of the memory stores since the GPUs are drawing the scene using the same resources. Confusion generally rises out of the misconception that adding a second card allows for its VRAM to be used to hold additional information, which is not so, at least not when the engines are used in conjunction with one another.

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

-Ziggy-;1954590']Nope' date=' you are wrong here, Pufu.

I made the same assumption. I was ignorant of the facts.[/quote']

i stand corrected

Nice choice, Arma 2 looks great in full HD :D

As for your GPU the GTX 560ti is a solid graphics card @ 1920x1080 and should offer good performance.

SLI is only worth considering if you have a very good CPU or a healthy overclock (otherwise the CPU will limit your performance in SLI) and if you are unhappy with your performance with one gtx 560ti. Bear in mind you will need a bigger PSU (at least 800w) if you do choose to SLI two cards.

BitTech.com found that (with an Intel i7 965 CPU @ 3.2Ghz) the gtx 560ti managed 35 fps in A2OA @ 1,920 x 1,080, 4x AA 16x AF and with Very High Detail.

Hey guys,

Wow, quite a thread we have here :) Seems that I have finally found the place to figure out just how much hardware I need to run this game WITHOUT having to mod it with OFP textures...:(

So, quick feedback request to those in the know: How do you recon ArmaII will run on this:

i5-2500K

Geforce GTX 560 Ti

8 GB DDR3-1333-RAM

120-GB-SSD

Am not so wise on SLI, so how much would a second GTX 560Ti help?

Any feedback would be appreciated

Cheers,

Firefokker

would work pretty well on that system, don't worry.

SLI - would prly give you a 70-80 % boost over the single card setup

well, depending on the mission and settings of course. A single gtx560ti would be fine as well provided you run at appropriate settings.

So, quick feedback request to those in the know: How do you recon ArmaII will run on this:

i5-2500K

Geforce GTX 560 Ti

8 GB DDR3-1333-RAM

120-GB-SSD

Am not so wise on SLI, so how much would a second GTX 560Ti help?

Nice rig :D

The i5 2500k is a great CPU, you've got plenty of RAM and the SSD is very helpful as it should ensure you don't get textures flashing in game, which many people with HDDs experience as HDDs struggle to load the many A2OA textures quickly enough.

The GTX 560ti is also a very nice card and the game should run well on very high at 1920 x 1080.

GTX 560ti scale pretty well (have a look at this for more information, no A2OA benchmarks though :() so should offer 60-80% extra performance (as PuFu said), providing no other factor such as CPU speed limits this. The 2500k overclocks nicely and if you choose to get SLI you will definetely want to OC to get the most from your system.

To be honest one GTX 560ti probably offers perfectly acceptable performance- it's just a case of budget really, and whether you like turning up AA and AF :D.

BTW: If you've not already chosen your 560ti, I really like MSI's version with the Twin Frozr II cooler- it's quiet, runs cool and is very overclockable, and at a really good price.

Edited by SW1

BTW: If you've not already chosen your 560ti, I really like MSI's version with the Twin Frozr II cooler- it's quiet, runs cool and is very overclockable, and at a really good price.

I'd go for Gainward Phantom any day...some money, just as silent, damn sexy looking!

Edited by PuFu

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I haven't bought any hardware yet so it all is extremely helpful!

SLI seems the way to go, so I'll make sure I cater for that even if I don't have the cash to get two graphics cards right away.

All I want is to finally be able to play the game like it was meant to be....:)

(that OPF texture mod was no joke; it gave me all of 15 FPS at the best of times on my current 2007-vintage off-the-shelf system...).

Will keep you posted as to what I end up with, in case it helps another poor soul in search of the perfect ArmaII system...

Hi need some advice for new HDD, mine died in the weekend and need a new one, i am looking at following so if you could plz help me with whats best for Arma 2 (250GB is enough for my storage needs):

2 TB-Western WD2002FAEX Black-7200RPM-SATA-III-64M

300 GB-Western VelociRaptor HLFS-10.000RPM-SATA II

500 GB-Seagate Momentus XT 7200.1-SATA II-32MB-7200RPM

Thanks in advance..!

Regards,

Mo' :)

Hi need some advice for new HDD, mine died in the weekend and need a new one, i am looking at following so if you could plz help me with whats best for Arma 2 (250GB is enough for my storage needs):

Thanks in advance..!

Regards,

Of the above options (if it's big enough for your needs) I would get the 10,000rpm velociraptor- it's significantly quicker than a standard 7,200rpm HDD and that extra speed should help to minimise the problem A2OA has where the hard drive fails to load textures quickly enough. EDIT: There is almost no difference between the performance of the black and the velociraptor.

Have a look at this review for more information.

Personally I would buy a 64GB SSD just for A2OA and a standard 500GB HDD for other files (or a 1TB HDD such as the Samsung F3 Spinpoint, which I use as my main HDD and is really good value)- I imagine that costs roughly the same as a velociraptor or WD 2TB black.

Edited by SW1

Thanks in advance..!

Regards,

why not just get a 1TB 7200 rpm spinpoit F3 or something? If I had to choose between those I'd get the 2TB black, probably faste than the velociraptor due to higher data density and less noise.

Velociraptors are a waste of money with 'Blacks' costing less and offering more space with comparable performance (as Leon said).

Edited by BangTail

What if i buy to HDD and put them in RAID0, will it help the performance of Arma... Or better to dont use RAID...?

thanks in advance.

What if i buy to HDD and put them in RAID0, will it help the performance of Arma... Or better to dont use RAID...?

thanks in advance.

If you want performance it's better to get a ssd and a cheapish hdd for storage. If you just want to replace your disk get a 1TB 7200rpm spinpoint.

raid can improve your loadtimes a bit but it's nowhere near comparable with a decent ssd.

Edited by Leon86

Does anyone know if there are problems with drivers nvidia for 2gtx SLI?

I have only a minor issue with sli, preview screen flickers like crazy, rest works fine.

I'd advise against sli unless it's a high performance enthousiast system where there's an actual level of performance you cant achieve without sli.

so 2 gtx560ti's are the slowest cards you should consider with sli. preferably paired with an i5-2500K. If you choose between 570 or 2x460 go with the 570. Performance is roughly the same and you have 0 issues with new games without a sli profile.